Recalled/Assigned: Jurco assigned to the Griffins for conditioning

Oct 18, 2006
14 seconds after getting out of the box for a minor penalty, he takes another. Not the ideal start to his comeback.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
14 seconds after getting out of the box for a minor penalty, he takes another. Not the ideal start to his comeback.

Meh. It was his first game back in eons after a major surgery. He was probably overzealous. Could care less about the penalties when he scored the only goal of the game.

Oct 18, 2006
Watched a highlight of the goal. A 5-on-3 tally, good hands to stop the bouncing puck off the boards, then fire it into the net.

Most interesting thing...his weight. Has clearly lost some weight, which I think will help him. I think he got a bit too heavy to appease Babs' style, and it effected his skating and overall game.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
He picked up an assist last night. Has a goal, assist and 7 shots in his 2 games. Not all hope is lost.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He picked up an assist last night. Has a goal, assist and 7 shots in his 2 games. Not all hope is lost.

Actually he has been worse than his last stint in the AHL. I had a buddy at the Milwaukee game and he wasn't all that impressed with Jurco. Cleaning up a 5 on 3 goal isn't exactly that tough.

I hope he puts it together, but it is if his back allows him to engage and battle the way he did when he first came up. Jurco's decline at the NHL level is an injury problem that has made him a terrible puck battler. We will find out shortly if that problem is sorted but he doesn't have to do a lot of puck battling at the AHL level, he is just slightly better than everyone down there and it usually shows over the game.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Update on Jurco :

The availability of Tomas Jurco is also in flux after he spent two games playing with the Grand Rapids Griffins in an effort to make a comeback from off-season back surgery.

“He felt a little tightness in his back†after Friday’s game, Holland said. “He’ll see our doctor in Detroit and then based on that, we will decide where to go next.â€

Jurco remains on long-term injured reserve, where he counts neither against the roster nor the salary cap.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/11/26/detroit-red-wings-injuries/94473260/

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Actually he has been worse than his last stint in the AHL. I had a buddy at the Milwaukee game and he wasn't all that impressed with Jurco. Cleaning up a 5 on 3 goal isn't exactly that tough.

I hope he puts it together, but it is if his back allows him to engage and battle the way he did when he first came up. Jurco's decline at the NHL level is an injury problem that has made him a terrible puck battler. We will find out shortly if that problem is sorted but he doesn't have to do a lot of puck battling at the AHL level, he is just slightly better than everyone down there and it usually shows over the game.

I also remember, at last season he scored something like a hattrick in AHL and was then called back. And sucked then totally in NHL.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
At this point I honestly can't see him being a productive member of the Wings ever again.

It's unfortunate that the system doesn't have some kind of relief for young players battling injuries. Detroit probably can't give the kid much for an opportunity and he'll likely be claimed/flame out entirely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad