Player Discussion Juraj Slafkovsky, the high offensive potential edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
True but the multiple head down hits show he's wasn't ready. Most important thing is player safety and Slaf couldn't process the game well enough to avoid that problem. Can you remember any big prospect who was decked that badly in his rookie season? This is concerning for sure... If he can't learn to protect himself at this level, it means he's not ready for it imo. What's the downside of sending him to Laval?

The AHL in my opinion is typically more violent than the nhl in general. There will be lots of no name guys down there ready to take a run at the #1 pick to make a name for themsleves.

I want him to be smarter about it, but I also don't want him to go somewhere that guys are going to be hunting even more for him with runs that are out of the context of the game itself.

Reactions: jrom and Milhouse40

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
A friendly reminder that Marco Rossi destroyed him... Marco Rossi, coliss.

Softest 6'4 player I have ever watched. He's always putting himself in a position to be dangerously hit, in a routine play, his on-ice awareness is worrying.

Hopefully, he takes a massive step in the right direction, as soon as the next season.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You can't be seriously comparing a veteran and rookies hockey acumen can you.smh
Who cares? The AHL argument is ridiculous. As another poster said there are a preponderance of goons in the AHL ready to take him out. And there is likely no one to help him progress. If Houle is booted after the season we will know why they didn't send him to laval.

Reactions: Durvann

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I'm still not sure what slaf's identity is going to be.

I remember early in the year, he was like a bull in a China shop. He toned it down as the season wore on... Perhaps related to injury. But it's also a style, as entertaining as it is, puts a toll on the player, and shortens careers. Perhaps the Habs were trying to change his game with that in mind.

I think you certainly need these bulls in your lineup for cup aspirations.... Just not sure you want to spend a top pick for those guys.
I think he can play a heavy style, but he can’t with his 18 year old frame. At 20-21 he will be able to impose it better.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Who cares? The AHL argument is ridiculous. As another poster said there are a preponderance of goons in the AHL ready to take him out. And there is likely no one to help him progress. If Houle is booted after the season we will know why they didn't send him to laval.

But the game is not as fast, he will have more time to protect himself after making a play unlike in the NHL.

Many young players are developed every year in the AHL, they are not ruined by the goons who are just waiting to take them out apparently...

This guy got flatlined by a non-goon dwarf, the problem is the way he puts himself in a position to be destroyed.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I heard the same about Chucky, McCarron, Pheoling, etc etc

He is another first round over hyped kid who will turn into nothing

Is "etc etc" covering when Suzuki was going to bust because when we picked him up he'd only had 4 more points in his D+1 year than in his draft year?

Or Caufield busting because he wasn't producing under DD and was sent to the AHL?

Or Dach who was a bust before he ever put on a Habs jersey because he didn't look great playing for a brutal Hawks team?

Let's not pretend the whiners on this board are batting 1.000

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
The AHL in my opinion is typically more violent than the nhl in general. There will be lots of no name guys down there ready to take a run at the #1 pick to make a name for themsleves.

I want him to be smarter about it, but I also don't want him to go somewhere that guys are going to be hunting even more for him with runs that are out of the context of the game itself.
I feel like this gets waaaaay overblown. A lot of top tiers picks go play/have played in the AHL and they don’t get destroyed.

Overblown. I see it as more of an excuse really.

Man some of you will be dissapointed later on with that title 🤣
I agree.

Tuner Stevenson is very possible.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
True but the multiple head down hits show he's wasn't ready. Most important thing is player safety and Slaf couldn't process the game well enough to avoid that problem. Can you remember any big prospect who was decked that badly in his rookie season? This is concerning for sure... If he can't learn to protect himself at this level, it means he's not ready for it imo. What's the downside of sending him to Laval?
Taylor Hall got clocked often.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Not sure why but a lot of you don’t seem to remember that Hughes said something like: we could have sent him to the AHL but what if he didn’t produce…

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
Not sure why but a lot of you don’t seem to remember that Hughes said something like: we could have sent him to the AHL but what if he didn’t produce…
So what if he doesn't produce? At least he'll still learn to play NHL sized rinks at a faster pace than what he was used to. If Draisaitl was ''bad enough'' to play in the AHL, no one will make me believe Slaf is too good for it. Especially since he can't protect his ass.

There is a reason why there is so little 18yo in the league. We had the opportunity to send him in Laval instead of junior because he came from Europe... and didn't use it. This one is on Hugo and imo his only mistake with the Allen contract.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I feel like this gets waaaaay overblown. A lot of top tiers picks go play/have played in the AHL and they don’t get destroyed.

Overblown. I see it as more of an excuse really.

I agree.

Tuner Stevenson is very possible.
Turner could really only turn to his strong side and looked stiff as a board... This kid has so many more tools lol

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Turner could really only turn to his strong side and looked stiff as a board... This kid has so many more tools lol
I played hockey with Turner when we were wee pups and can confirm he can only turn one way lol

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I'm not sold on Slaf either and didn't see the need to rush him to the NHL. But he's very young and I'm hoping he'll make me eat my words.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Give him top 6 ice time with Suzuki, Dach, or Dubois centering him + regular pp time, and I could see him scoring 40+ pts next season.

Reactions: KevSkillz4

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
So what if he doesn't produce? At least he'll still learn to play NHL sized rinks at a faster pace than what he was used to. If Draisaitl was ''bad enough'' to play in the AHL, no one will make me believe Slaf is too good for it. Especially since he can't protect his ass.

There is a reason why there is so little 18yo in the league. We had the opportunity to send him in Laval instead of junior because he came from Europe... and didn't use it. This one is on Hugo and imo his only mistake with the Allen contract.
I agrée. The point of my post was that it was a bad reason not to send him down. I’ve posted this multiple time but realise in this stand alone post it was not obvious.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Give him top 6 ice time with Suzuki, Dach, or Dubois centering him + regular pp time, and I could see him scoring 40+ pts next season.

No doubt about that. If he play on 1st PP unit, top 6 minute... he is going to produce really well. He has play on 4th line at the beginning of the season, it's normal that he get only 10 points in 39 games. His play in this season show better than 10 points in 39 games... like Kirby Dach, he has showing all season long that he is better than his actual stats 38 points in 58 games.

Everyone should be hype with the future at forward. I'm maybe the most biased guy on HFBoard's MTL, but Habs have a lot of talents right now.

Reactions: Jaynki

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I still like a lot of the skills he flashed during his best games. There's still a lot of work, especially positioning wise, but the tools are there and then some. Add in the he's 6'3" 230lbs at 18 and there's so much potential.

Reactions: Redux91

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Instant result for a 18yo old in the NHL is a lot to ask.
Never been a fan of Juraj.....but breath a little.

Freaking Jack Hughes got 21 points in 61 games in his 1st year at 18.....and Slafkovsky is no Jack Hugues but still produce 0.26pts per game versus 0,34pts per game for Hughes at 18yo in the NHL.

Yes, we all see the kid wasn't really ready for the NHL and could have used some time in a lower league, but it's entirely normal for any 18 freaking years old. Doesn't mean his future is screwed and it was a mistake to start him in the NHL.......they were saying the same thing in NJ....and now the kid put up 99 point this year.

Reactions: 417

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
If he becomes a 20-20 player I’ll be happy. Because pre-draft I had him 5th overall and I didnt believe he had the IQ and the abilities to be a 1st line player. I’ll always cheers for a Habs prospect to blow up. And I like his size. But… I dont believe he’ll put up 60-70pts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad