Proposal: Juolevi for Vesalainen

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Only way this would make sense for the Canucks would be if we land Dahlin. Furthermore, we have a nice pipeline in forwards tracking well, while literally no defensive prospects to get overly excited about. I bet both teams would pass on this hard.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No, thanks. Juolevi isn't a bust but zero interest in trading Vesalainen after the year he had.

And we've got Morrissey and Kulikov signed for next year, with Sami Niku likely to challenge for a spot.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Straight up, Juolevi for Vesalainen in the post-season.

Jets could use a future LD and Canucks look like they could use a future LW(as Pettersson is a C/RW from my knowledge).
I don't think the Winnipeg GM who is shy of making trades anyway would trade his #1 draft pick last year without seeing what he can do in the NHL. The Jets also have Sami Niku , a left hand D-man in the AHL who is the second highest scoring D-man in the league and he's only a rookie. He could be the Jets' next lefty.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Neither team makes this trade, because there's no need nor incentive. The Canucks need D-men more than forwards, and the Jets are fine with what they have, which is plenty. They're not exactly hurting on defense on the big club.

To me, this is the type of trade that can blow up in a GM's face and make him look like an idiot. Better to keep your own player and see what you really have before trading prospects like hockey cards.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I don't think the Winnipeg GM who is shy of making trades anyway would trade his #1 draft pick last year without seeing what he can do in the NHL. The Jets also have Sami Niku , a left hand D-man in the AHL who is the second highest scoring D-man in the league and he's only a rookie. He could be the Jets' next lefty.

Firstly, I wouldn’t call Chevy shy. Yeah he doesn’t make many trades but why would he, as a GM your job is to help your team and playing Russian roulette with your roster won’t get that done, A gambler who leaves when they are up is always the smartest gambler there is and Chevy isn’t a gambler but he’s never made a bad deal yet and has only ever helped the organization.

Next, Niku looks very good, but what happens in the future if say he doesn’t exactly pan out? Vesalainen could the next Rantanen but who knows because I doubt he will make it into the Top 6 by battling Connor and Ehlers at the LW and he’s sure as hell not touching Laine or Wheeler at the Right Wing anytime soon(Roslovic is another challenge there when Wheeler retires and it’s a rare shot to play Top 6 minutes on his off-wing in Maurice’s system, heck Maurice doesn’t even let Laine play on his off Wing). I think there’s a much better chance that Juolevi will get Top 4 minutes rather than Vesalainen getting Top 6 minutes.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Calling a 19 Year old Dman a bust is beyond ridiculous. Joulevi is one of the 5 best Drafted D prospects, give him time. It is not a race to the NHL, it is about when you reach your peak once you are there, and how high your peak is.

It’s just stupid rhetoric being spewed by the anti-Benning crew on the Canucks section of this site. While it’s true that it’s been statistically proven that 1st round D men that don’t make the big club in their (D+3) season are far less likely to be superstars, I find it interesting that none of these “stat guys” have pointed out the fact that Juolevi was almost a full year younger than his contemporaries (and has been stated, is only a few months older than Cale Makar). Whatever supports the narrative I guess.

Last edited:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Firstly, I wouldn’t call Chevy shy. Yeah he doesn’t make many trades but why would he, as a GM your job is to help your team and playing Russian roulette with your roster won’t get that done, A gambler who leaves when they are up is always the smartest gambler there is and Chevy isn’t a gambler but he’s never made a bad deal yet and has only ever helped the organization.

Next, Niku looks very good, but what happens in the future if say he doesn’t exactly pan out? Vesalainen could the next Rantanen but who knows because I doubt he will make it into the Top 6 by battling Connor and Ehlers at the LW and he’s sure as hell not touching Laine or Wheeler at the Right Wing anytime soon(Roslovic is another challenge there when Wheeler retires and it’s a rare shot to play Top 6 minutes on his off-wing in Maurice’s system, heck Maurice doesn’t even let Laine play on his off Wing). I think there’s a much better chance that Juolevi will get Top 4 minutes rather than Vesalainen getting Top 6 minutes.

What happens if Juolevi doesn't pan out?
He's not a surefire top 4 dman.

Reactions: north49er

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
What happens if Juolevi doesn't pan out?
He's not a surefire top 4 dman.

The deal would give the Jets prospect depth at they’re weakest position on the ice today(in depth and skill) while the Jets biggest strength is they’re Wing. If the Jets had Niku, Juolevi, Samberg and Stanley all in the pool I’m sure they would be very safe on that LD in the future.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I don't get the hate for Juolevi. If you look at his career progression so far, he's Kimmo Timonen 2.0. People forget that Timonen was a superb defenseman - a legitimate number one guy. If that's Juolevi's upside, how can one not like that?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Some perspective:

Juolevi 19 points in 38 games in Liiga as a 1st yr pro.
Makar 21 points in 34 games in his 1st yr of college hockey.

They are 5 and 1/2 months apart in age.

But, you’re right. Juolevi is practically a bust.

Makar is a significantly better prospect.

no one is calling Juolevi a bust, but it has to sting that pick 6 was Tkachuk, pick 7 was Keller, pick 9 was Sergachev and pick 14 was McAvoy.

also it would make more sense to compare juolevis draft + 1 with Makars draft +1. Because Juolevi didnt take a step forward last year

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
no one is calling Juolevi a bust, but it has to sting that pick 6 was Tkachuk, pick 7 was Keller, pick 9 was Sergachev and pick 14 was McAvoy.
We already know this...

And if you actually read the thread, someone called him a bust.

TheSnipeshow91

Aug 11, 2014
Makar is a significantly better prospect.

also it would make more sense to compare juolevis draft + 1 with Makars draft +1. Because Juolevi didnt take a step forward last year
Canucks were desperate for a dman so keller and tkachuk were not on our radar. While Sergachev is doing well right now, he was very much a risk at the 5th overall selection. I do think McAvoy was the one that got away, I wanted the Canucks to trade down for him once we lost the lottery.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Straight up, Juolevi for Vesalainen in the post-season.

Jets could use a future LD and Canucks look like they could use a future LW(as Pettersson is a C/RW from my knowledge).
You forgot to add the 1st from the Nucks???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad