Junior Hockey Expansion & Contraction Thread: 2021-22

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Having seen a real live Austin Ice Bats game, I unreservedly endorse this decision.
They shouldn't have to stock any team merch. Plenty of old-school Ice Bats fans around the area still have their jerseys & related items.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
I saw an article today saying that the Northeast Generals' home rink might be in the weeds financially (LINK.) I'm wondering what this will mean for the organization.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I saw an article today saying that the Northeast Generals' home rink might be in the weeds financially (LINK.) I'm wondering what this will mean for the organization.
Not good. Especially in terms of the still ongoing NAHL vs. USPHL battle for territory on the East Coast.

BOS358

Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Not good. Especially in terms of the still ongoing NAHL vs. USPHL battle for territory on the East Coast.

While the team my nominally survive, they might be shutting down if the rink foreclosure happens. There are plenty of rinks nearby, but most of them are way too small with substandard facilities for an NAHL team. No way Bridgewater or Foxboro (both USPHL) lets them have ice. Rodman (Walpole) would make them an afterthought. Providence College and the Civic Center would both be too costly and I doubt the rest of the league would be willing to subsidize them to that extent. It looks like we'll see on May 7.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
While the team my nominally survive, they might be shutting down if the rink foreclosure happens. There are plenty of rinks nearby, but most of them are way too small with substandard facilities for an NAHL team. No way Bridgewater or Foxboro (both USPHL) lets them have ice. Rodman (Walpole) would make them an afterthought. Providence College and the Civic Center would both be too costly and I doubt the rest of the league would be willing to subsidize them to that extent. It looks like we'll see on May 7.

Having played at both of these, NESV and Foxboro are very similar facilities. Foxboro's main rink may actually have higher seating capacity than NESV, not that the Generals will worry about crowd size.

It is not like the Generals are playing at a legitimate arena. The Generals are playing at a very nice community rink.

Reactions: BOS358

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Honestly is surprising that this isn't a more popular discussion. The first junior hockey rink to fall took 14 months and I am genuinely shocked it took this long and isn't more frequent. Given how nice of a facility NESV is, even if sold at auction, it will most likely continue to operate as it did prior to sale. I could see some of the land being auctioned off but the developers finding a way to keep the existing facility. Covid is a heartless one.

One situation to keep an eye on is the Long Beach Sharks. The team appears to have found a groove recently but the city is in dire straits financially and owns the rink and adjacent recreation center. My former home town is going down hard and the rink/team might be collateral damage. It doesn't help that the arena has been in need of upgrades and repairs for years.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Lake Tahoe Lakers to Join USPHL Premier's Pacific Division

Lake Tahoe Lakers join the USPHL Premier Pacific Division.

Lake Tahoe hosted WSHL teams for most of the 2010s, but the Lake Tahoe Icemen ceased operations prior to the 2018-19 season because of issues with the facility. The Lake Tahoe Lakers entering the scene likely means the ice plant was fixed. This fifth team helps out the USPHL Pacific Division immensely.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Lake Tahoe Lakers to Join USPHL Premier's Pacific Division

Lake Tahoe Lakers join the USPHL Premier Pacific Division.

Lake Tahoe hosted WSHL teams for most of the 2010s, but the Lake Tahoe Icemen ceased operations prior to the 2018-19 season because of issues with the facility. The Lake Tahoe Lakers entering the scene likely means the ice plant was fixed. This fifth team helps out the USPHL Pacific Division immensely.

Same ownership group as the immensely successful Charlotte Rush and the newer Charleston Colonials.

BOS358

Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Honestly is surprising that this isn't a more popular discussion. The first junior hockey rink to fall took 14 months and I am genuinely shocked it took this long and isn't more frequent. Given how nice of a facility NESV is, even if sold at auction, it will most likely continue to operate as it did prior to sale. I could see some of the land being auctioned off but the developers finding a way to keep the existing facility. Covid is a heartless one.

No question that COVID helped the rink get to where it is right now, but a large part of it is the bad decisions of the rink owners. They apparently* overcharge for ice time for summer tournaments compared to other nearby options, and there are plenty, and kept a lot of ice time for "private skills sessions," which, given the numbers that showed up, were quite private. Also, it was supposed to be part of a multi-sport complex, similar to The Edge in Bedford, MA, but the rest of the project never got off the ground.

*Note: This is based on rumors. Thankfully for what's left of my sanity, I'm no longer involved in planning any events.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
No question that COVID helped the rink get to where it is right now, but a large part of it is the bad decisions of the rink owners. They apparently* overcharge for ice time for summer tournaments compared to other nearby options, and there are plenty, and kept a lot of ice time for "private skills sessions," which, given the numbers that showed up, were quite private. Also, it was supposed to be part of a multi-sport complex, similar to The Edge in Bedford, MA, but the rest of the project never got off the ground.

*Note: This is based on rumors. Thankfully for what's left of my sanity, I'm no longer involved in planning any events.
Don't forget how oversaturated the ice hockey environment is in that area. Dozens of sheets of ice within an hour's drive. Hell, there are over a dozen community-owned rinks nearby. While they are kinda junky and lack amenities, the majority of people in the area who just want ice time, the community rinks are so much cheaper and accessible. It was not the brightest idea to build a multi-million dollar arena which is really nothing special in that area. Now if you were to throw that up in rural North Iowa, that is a different story.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

Isn't there supposed to be a NAHL event there starting May 7th?

Last edited:

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Norwich Sea Captains are participating in the NA3HL draft without any current franchise announcement. They are drafting 3OA right after the other two new teams. Sounds like they are bringing another team out of dormancy.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Norwich Sea Captains are participating in the NA3HL draft without any current franchise announcement. They are drafting 3OA right after the other two new teams. Sounds like they are bringing another team out of dormancy.

Inside source says the Norwich Sea Captains will be playing out of the RoseGarden in Norwich, CT by experienced NA3HL personnel.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Lots of movement as usual for the 3HL this time of year. Good to see Breezy Point get a team back, I thought they might after Kenai River had played out of that facility for most of this season.

Edit: Actual team name corrected, as pointed out by @JMCx4 below

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Lots of movement as usual for the 3HL this time of year. Good to see Breezy Point get a team back, I thought they might after Keanu River had played out of that facility for most of this season.
Is he related to Keanu Reeves, by any chance? :huh:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Going off this insight by kij, the official announcement has now been made

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Just because this is the best place to continue putting these updates, here's the latest from the WSHL
May 2021 Update

They still have to update their team page as El Paso is still listed, Wichita I'm assuming is dead considering their website is offline, and the Fraser Valley team they announced previously is not added yet.

But as of right now pending further announcements they have Dallas, Bellingham, Seattle, Fraser Valley, BC, Barhead Bombers, Hinton Wildcats, Cold Lake Hornets, and Edson Aeros.

They also still have Valencia listed, but again the website for them does not exist anymore.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... They still have to update their team page as El Paso is still listed, Wichita I'm assuming is dead considering their website is offline, and the Fraser Valley team they announced previously is not added yet.

But as of right now pending further announcements they have Dallas, Bellingham, Seattle, Fraser Valley, BC, Barhead Bombers, Hinton Wildcats, Cold Lake Hornets, and Edson Aeros.

They also still have Valencia listed, but again the website for them does not exist anymore.
Seems like the WSHL could use a good media guy to keep things up-to-date. Know anybody? :o

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad