Junior Hockey Expansion & Contraction Thread: 2021-22

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Well in a surprising move, KC is moving to Amarillo, Amarillo is moving to North Iowa

Strange when considering a reason why the Bulls are moving is due to being unable to negotiate a lease, and the city is/was working with the owners of the AA baseball franchise in town to renovate the arena and according to this article bring an ECHL team to town Plans to update Amarillo civic center continue after voters denied original proposition

Going back to Bulls letter to the fans: A LETTER TO AMARILLO BULLS FANS
"The Bulls organization worked hard to avoid this outcome. In order to operate a sustainable business, we sought from the City of Amarillo a long-term commitment with reasonable terms to let us play out of the Amarillo Civic Center and continue to manage the ice for community events and recreation. However, we were unable to secure a partnership with the city to keep the Bulls in Amarillo. Nonetheless, we thank the City for all it has done for Bulls hockey over the years."

So the Kansas City Scouts... never played a game.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
This announcement went under the radar but we have another WSHL Canadian team

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
To my surprise, I find the team logo aesthetically pleasing. You've gotta start somewhere.
It's good, but I would suggest changing the yellow text for "Vegreville" to a more readable color. But it's Tier III junior hockey so you get what you get.

That said I still have my questions about the league taking the ice this year, but the WSHL is an interesting thing to have on the summer watch list.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It's good, but I would suggest changing the yellow text for "Vegreville" to a more readable color. But it's Tier III junior hockey so you get what you get. ...
It'll work on a black or a gray sweater. Trust me, I know these things. :teach2:

Reactions: mk80

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Has there been any news as to why Lamar Hunt Jr.'s group decided to sell the team so quickly? Nobody in the Kansas City area reported it.
Jr.'s group has been quiet for many months, and before that they were waffling on new arena locations. Just speculation from me, but I reckon this is a matter of cutting their losses in uncertain times & maybe regrouping for a future juniors plan in the KC Metro.

SharksFan1978

Mar 29, 2012
I KNOW NOTHING!

edit- Oregon opens at 70% vaccination rate, currently at 69% statewide. I’m finding the ownership’s statement to be a bit disingenuous.

I wouldn't have expected this to happen. Interesting...

Now if only we could hear some news from the Eugene Generals camp...

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I wouldn't have expected this to happen. Interesting...

Now if only we could hear some news from the Eugene Generals camp...

Eugene Generals have all but ceased to exist. Last news updates were more than two years ago announcing plans to sit out the season and advance to a higher level the year after. Nothing since then. Presumption of death in junior hockey is about a year.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Eugene Generals have all but ceased to exist. Last news updates were more than two years ago announcing plans to sit out the season and advance to a higher level the year after. Nothing since then. Presumption of death in junior hockey is about a year.

Generals ownership is behind the “arena” proposal submitted in April. It will take time to sort through that and a competing proposal for the property involved, naturally.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Interesting...WSHL team relocating to Medford: The RRRink to house new team

I’m going to make a guess that the previous ownership might have been booted for not paying bills or some such, so I shouldn’t try to hang the hat I don’t own on them building a multi-rink project.

But imagine that going NAHL. It’s hard, though my imagination is sometimes too vivid for my own good.

SharksFan1978

Mar 29, 2012
I’m going to make a guess that the previous ownership might have been booted for not paying bills or some such, so I shouldn’t try to hang the hat I don’t own on them building a multi-rink project.

But imagine that going NAHL. It’s hard, though my imagination is sometimes too vivid for my own good.

Still trying to imagine a world where both the Generals and the Spartans (should they continue to exist) end up in the NAHL. That would be something.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Still trying to imagine a world where both the Generals and the Spartans (should they continue to exist) end up in the NAHL. That would be something.

There would need to be minimum 3-4 others PNW travel partners nearby to make NAHL franchises in those two locations viable.

In all honesty, the RRRink in Medford likely can't handle a NAHL franchise. It looks like a very nice rec rink, but they will need a lot more than that if they're relying on fans to keep the team viable in a location where travel will be an almost nonstarter expense. The Southern Oregon Spartans were topping out around 600-700 fans. Their best only puts them only above the attendance-shy East Division. Breakeven point for them is likely 1.000 in the building every night. That just isn't going to happen.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
So here are some updates regarding the WSHL trying to piece itself back together:

Edson Aeros relocate to Cold Lake Alberta Aeros Find New Home

Add the Vernal Oilers
Add the Utah Altitude
Add the Edmonton Eagles, and this press release does make mention of an TBA Oregon team New Teams in the WSHL

Based on the link for team recruiting contacts: Seattle Totems and Bellingham Blazers are the only other two surviving WSHL teams from before the USPHL/NA & NA3HL exodus and Covid shutdown

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->