Jumbo Joe is a point per game player appreciation thread

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ultimately, I'm still not sold on the idea that he should be on that line. It's a mix and match situation where sometimes Thornton will make more sense, but there will be times when Hyman is the better option.

Or, if we are getting truly line mix crazy, I don't think we've seen a lot of Tavares at LW, Matthews at C as a combo, so maybe there could be an experiment where that works and Thornton is bumped to a line to center Nylander. Or something.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I my end it wasn't hate.
I just think it is a waste having Hyman playing in the 3rd line.
He does things that Joe didn't .
Drinking to the net his work in the corners and along the wall are incredible.
Joe would even be better in the third line with less minutes.
I really like hyman. He has a great motor and work ethic. That said, 80% of his contribution could be done without a stick. His hand are kind of made of stone and would prefer someone with better hands to gell on that line.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
The critiques of Thornton have been a bit overblown.

Hes been slow (which we new was the case before the signing). But he's not a liability on the ice and usually makes 2-3 pretty good set up attempts every game.

Id like to see him get some shifts with Kerfoot and Soup
He has a really good puck possession history and there is some tremendous upside if that line can find good chemistry.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
So far-3 games. Jumbo on the top line is okay. I don’t think his lacks of speed is hurting AM and Marner, if anything, Jumbo’s speed is teaching AM and Marner that you can be effective even at a slower pace. Jumbo thinks the game better than both of them and once AM and Marner realize that, this line could be scary.

horner

May 22, 2007
I really like hyman. He has a great motor and work ethic. That said, 80% of his contribution could be done without a stick. His hand are kind of made of stone and would prefer someone with better hands to gell on that line.
21 goals last I think.

Over 82 games
33 goals
60 pts

I would say stone hand.

Every season he has gotten better.

Last edited:
Reactions: authentic

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I'm not saying itll happen but... imagine in a shortened season at his age he puts up 40 plus points and at that price ... thatd be one of the better signings in years for most teams.

It could be big time wishful thinking and way to early to say but still... be cool to see.
He was on pace for 36 last year if he played 82. And riding shotgun with marner and Matthews. Doesn’t seem very improbable does it

Reactions: Burnie97

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Thornton looks really good in the Blue and White. Feels like it ought to have happened a lot sooner than it did.

https%3A%2F%2Feditorinleaf.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F1230572240-850x560.jpeg

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Why are people so insistent on getting Hyman back in the top 6 when his 3rd line is the best revelation of the season so far?

It felt like a waste considering Hyman is a top six forward IMO. Realistically, his TOI/G is well above that of a third line forward and the team is winning more than it is losing, so...

Reactions: horner

horner

May 22, 2007
Why are people so insistent on getting Hyman back in the top 6 when his 3rd line is the best revelation of the season so far?

Because he will make the top line even better .
It will allow them to keep the opposition team hemed up in there own zone longer which puts less pressure on the defensive zone .
Besides they were one of the better lines last year .

3rd line
Joe Kerfoot and mik

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
21 goals last I think.

Over 82 games
33 goals
60 pts

I would say stone hand.

Every season he has gotten better.
6 were into an empty net and the overwhelming number of the others were him standing on top of the crease hoping a shot hits him on the way in or he can whack in a rebound

and saying he has has stone hands does a disservice to stone

horner

May 22, 2007
6 were into an empty net and the overwhelming number of the others were him standing on top of the crease hoping a shot hits him on the way in or he can whack in a rebound

Then trade the idiot .
Iam sure other teams appriciate him more than you.

Reactions: Rants Mulliniks

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
One thing I have noticed with Jumbo is his brilliance play along the boards and how good he is at protecting and ending up with the puck. Comes with his size and experience.

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
I'd like to see him stay on the top line for a bit longer. I think he can bring some of the same elements Hyman brought, strong board play, buys time and space for Matthews and Marner to find open ice.

He's obviously not a puck hound like Hyman but get the puck to Joe down low, find some open ice, and he will find you.

Unlike Hyman he's much better at finding lanes and executing short passes, has way better vision to get the puck on the stick of the other 2 in close.

Hyman on the 3rd line adds another threat to our team, we've already seen the Mik Kerfoot Hyman line get some really good cycles/zone time going in the first 3 games.

Reactions: Notsince67

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Then trade the idiot .
Iam sure other teams appriciate him more than you.
Im not sure what everyone is getting excited about. Hyman is a decent player for sure. The problem is this...if you noticed the last game, the Matthews line was absolutely dominant from a possession perspective. That line beat Ottawa down at every end of the ice. There was no need to retrieve a puck. Trying to take a puck away from a 6'4 player of Thortons experience is a chore for any player in the league. Hyman holds no advantage there. He is a dump and chase player who had enough sense to capitalize with some elite help and generate points the last couple of years. Thorton is almost the anti-Hyman. He offers up a different look that could mean all the difference. The experiment is intriguing and it holds promise. Hyman gets shifted every now and then to give Thorton a rest so I guess we shall see if there is a big difference between the 2 over time.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
One thing I have noticed with Jumbo is his brilliance play along the boards and how good he is at protecting and ending up with the puck. Comes with his size and experience.
I'm enjoying watching opposition players try and hit him and just bouncing off of him. He's a big man, reminds me of Sundin a bit in how you'll never beat them by trying to shove them or out-muscle them.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
The more I think about it, the more I like Hyman on the 3rd line making it his. Since Thornton can't/shouldn't play the minutes that Matthews and Marner get, Hyman just fills in the balance. As the top 2 lines continue creating chemistry having Hyman go at 3rd pairing matchups and maintain puck possession at the very least is vital.

Against the majority of the league Tavares-Nylander and Matthews-Marner will have their way so it's vital that our 3rd line is a positive so they're not giving back whatever the top 6 produces.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I'm enjoying watching opposition players try and hit him and just bouncing off of him. He's a big man, reminds me of Sundin a bit in how you'll never beat them by trying to shove them or out-muscle them.

As much as I always hated a cycle game (what I mean by that is it isn't overly fun to watch guys play the whole game in the corners or along the boards just endlessly rotating until an opportunity surfaces), Ponikarovsky-Sundin-Antropov were very good at this. Good luck getting the puck from them. Allison was another one of those guys who, while slow as molasses, good luck getting the puck from him.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Yeah he was just standing there in the paint sipping juice&Gin

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia