Jumbo Joe is a point per game player appreciation thread

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I'm not saying itll happen but... imagine in a shortened season at his age he puts up 40 plus points and at that price ... thatd be one of the better signings in years for most teams.

It could be big time wishful thinking and way to early to say but still... be cool to see.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I didn't understand the hate after the first 2 games...he looked quite good in both, and people had Spezza and Barbanov in over him.

The top line really needs Mitch to be the Mitch we saw tonight to be a force. This vision and tenacity are tough to defend against when he's in the zone, and opens up all kinds of space for AM and Jumbo.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Good for him to pickup a couple of points. Great shot for the goal.

In 3 games so far, I thought his best ones 5v5, were games 1 and 3.

I noticed he wasn't given any d-zone starts. Mostly on-the-fly, neutral zone, and ozone. He did well on o-zone faceoffs. Solid CF% too. Like everyone he might even get better once he gets more comfortable with teammate tendencies.

Reactions: Randy870624

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Jumbo will come up clutch come playoff time. Mark this post.

He wants a cup, he will fight tooth and nail and show some oldschool passing brilliance come playoff time. Not to mention clutch puck protection in the corners. Just wait.

Randy870624

Oct 27, 2019
Good for him to pickup a couple of points. Great shot for the goal.

In 3 games so far, I thought his best ones 5v5, were games 1 and 3.

I noticed he wasn't given any d-zone starts. Mostly on-the-fly, neutral zone, and ozone. He did well on o-zone faceoffs. Solid CF% too. Like everyone he might even get better once he gets more comfortable with teammate tendencies.
The old guys usually take a bit to get upto speed.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Thorton will do much better than people expect if he's given a chance. The proplem is he might need some time to heat up and that might cost him his top 6 spot. Plus if he has some bad games down the line he will automatically be seen as a guy who's running out of gas because of his old age.

The best thing for Joe would be if the Leafs stick him with Matthews and Marner for as much as possible, but still play him a few minutes less per game than both of them and put Hyman in as a replacement for those extra minutes that Joe takes a rest. Add in some quality powerplay time and we'll see Thorton put up 40-45 points in 56 games this season easily!

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
i don't have problem with joe. many leaf fans need to stop expecting EA Sports line construction. I hope leaf fans one day will appreciate wins over individual point totals/trophies. they also need to stop expecting joe to be a heart trophy candidate/youthful. you don't need to be either to help toronto win.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
You can just tell the brain he has in the offensive zone.

That pass to Marner on the pp to set up the Matthews goal was a high iq pass.

That’s the difference with the 2nd year Marleau we had and the 3rd year player he was under that 6 mil contract. His hands were completely gone. Can’t say thornton’s are just yet

Reactions: supermann_98

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I thought he was supposed to be shot into the sun after the last game :laugh: The 14:05 looks closer to the minutes he can sustain but Keefe is still tinkering so who knows. He is 2 months ahead of last season for his 1st goal.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I was in doubt for that line yesterday. They looked completely different last night. They look really good instead of terrible. Quite the difference. Keefe looked smart keeping it together. Fans want wins, coaches want chemistry. We both won :)

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
With teams trying to stop Matthew's lethal shot, Marner and Thornton need to be using any extra space to put the puck in themselves.
Think that's the challenge for that line offensively.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
It's always funny seeing guys on the other team trying to lineup Thornton for a hit only to bounce off of him. Still don't like him on that line but maybe with more reps and more chemistry built it might not be so bad. Yesterday's game I was impressed with his game along the boards and setting up Matthews or Marner. On that line he'll have more chances to shoot with the defence keying in on Matthews and Marner so it's imperative that he uses his shot similar to last night.

Reactions: supermann_98

horner

May 22, 2007
I didn't understand the hate after the first 2 games...he looked quite good in both, and people had Spezza and Barbanov in over him.

The top line really needs Mitch to be the Mitch we saw tonight to be a force. This vision and tenacity are tough to defend against when he's in the zone, and opens up all kinds of space for AM and Jumbo.
I my end it wasn't hate.
I just think it is a waste having Hyman playing in the 3rd line.
He does things that Joe didn't .
Drinking to the net his work in the corners and along the wall are incredible.
Joe would even be better in the third line with less minutes.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Joe Thornton in the right role/playing proper minutes will definitely be a quality asset to this team. Good to see him get on the scoresheet and in the franchise's record books.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
With teams trying to stop Matthew's lethal shot, Marner and Thornton need to be using any extra space to put the puck in themselves.
Think that's the challenge for that line offensively.
I have more faith in Thornton's shot than Marner's. Marner should just stick to playmaking, passing. Just become even more awesome at it, play to your strengths.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The critiques of Thornton have been a bit overblown.

Hes been slow (which we new was the case before the signing). But he's not a liability on the ice and usually makes 2-3 pretty good set up attempts every game.

Id like to see him get some shifts with Kerfoot and Soup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad