July Roster Progress Report! - Rate the Changes!

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I'm going 9/10.

I may be in the minority, but I love the trades made. We upgraded heavily at center and at D. Losing DeAngelo stings a bit, but we are much healthier with proven talent added to the roster. Murphy had an excellent contract but I think he had and has hit his peak, so what we saw is what we got, good guy, loved the team, but certainly replaceable and we upgraded in the situation.

We're more talented, more appealing and much more competitive with the pieces added in my opinion.

Cutting bait with the old regime was long over due. Love Doan as a player and a person but he was absolutely a liability last year. Bouncing both him and Smith was addition by subtraction. This is a young mans game, fast paced, high energy, potent offense.

Bouncing Tippet was also addition by subtraction, he had way too much say as to what and where he wanted this team to go. Enough of the 1-2 losses and the 3-2 wins while being out shot 35 to 12. His system was old and flawed.

I for one am extremely excited about the moves and the direction we are headed. There is more to come and I trust what we're doing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If you could guarantee me that would be the every day lineup I'd be tempted to buy STs and figure out who I would go to the games with me later. Most talent we've had top to bottom ever and it's not close. Sure they need time to develop and gel but that's why they cleaned house.

As for D, the fact that we haven't brought in any solid RHS D and traded away two of them makes me believe they think Wood has a legitimate chance to make the roster.

That is a crappy excuse for not buying tickets. Support your team and have fun doing it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm going 9/10.

I may be in the minority, but I love the trades made. We upgraded heavily at center and at D. Losing DeAngelo stings a bit, but we are much healthier with proven talent added to the roster. Murphy had an excellent contract but I think he had and has hit his peak, so what we saw is what we got, good guy, loved the team, but certainly replaceable and we upgraded in the situation.

We're more talented, more appealing and much more competitive with the pieces added in my opinion.

Cutting bait with the old regime was long over due. Love Doan as a player and a person but he was absolutely a liability last year. Bouncing both him and Smith was addition by subtraction. This is a young mans game, fast paced, high energy, potent offense.

Bouncing Tippet was also addition by subtraction, he had way too much say as to what and where he wanted this team to go. Enough of the 1-2 losses and the 3-2 wins while being out shot 35 to 12. His system was old and flawed.

I for one am extremely excited about the moves and the direction we are headed. There is more to come and I trust what we're doing.

We upgraded at center, but only marginally. I thought Murphy had a terrible contract and losing him is no big deal, but losing another RD in DeAngelo hurts. We upgraded the first pairing but the 2nd and 3rd I would say are even. When Smith was healthy last year he was very good, and we are hoping Raanta can be his equal, and only time will tell there. Still worried about losing Vrbata's production, so I'm really hoping the kids turn it up a notch or two.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
We upgraded at center, but only marginally. I thought Murphy had a terrible contract and losing him is no big deal, but losing another RD in DeAngelo hurts. We upgraded the first pairing but the 2nd and 3rd I would say are even. When Smith was healthy last year he was very good, and we are hoping Raanta can be his equal, and only time will tell there. Still worried about losing Vrbata's production, so I'm really hoping the kids turn it up a notch or two.

I understand your position here, however I think you're misleading yourself. We aren't a playoff team right now and we sure as hell weren't with Vrbata, Smith or Doan, that was proven. Coaching was the biggest change made this off season in my opinion. A new system to unleash talent is what we've been missing. Lack of scoring goals, something Duclair and Keller are used to doing, just not under Tippet.

The right side will be fine, I'd imagine something is brought in to fill that. Murphys contract was not awful by any stretch. For his production and the going rate for a RHD his contract is prime. We've lacked a competent center since who knows when and we never had a first pairing d corps. Finding a top 4 RHD is a lot easier than finding a #1

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Roster:

Plus:

Stepan is an upgrade over Hanzal but no a huge upgrade.

Chalmers is a huge upgrade over Schenn.

Minus:

We don't have a 2RHD with DeAngelo/Stone/Murphy gone, all would be vying for the position.

Smith had a great year, hard to believe Raanta/LD will be as good

Toch, change should be good, but might not, hard to say.

This season will boil down to how good our young guys are and how much they improve. We will have some upside with Domi/Duclair/Keller/Strome/DVO, but some could regress also or spend most of the year in the AHL.

I am pretty excited about our potential and I think Toch was a smart hire versus less experienced coaches mentioned.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I went with 8

Hammer is a solid #2. Before Hammer we had no #2 and a shaky #4. Now we only have a shaky #4.

Stepan is a key piece as well. We haven't had a legit top line center since the 90s and he will fill that role.

Raanta is a wild card, but Smith was a wild card too. Last season just happened to be a good one.

Coaching hire is yet to be determined, but we can't finish much lower than we have the past few seasons. I'm excited to see where this goes

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Smith's stats last year:

55 starts, 19-26-9, 2.92GAA, .914SV, .491 quality start percentage

Raanta's stats last year:

26 starts (30 total GP), 16-8-2, 2.26GAA, .922SV, .692 quality start percentage

I really don't think we have to worry too much about that.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Voted 8.

I don't have as good a feel for Hjalmarsson as y'all, he might make it a 9.

If we re-sign Vrbata and Hjalmarsson is good, that's a 10 in my book.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
7 seems pretty fair - a lot of new pieces, and as was explained last year, new pieces don't just fall into suit. The good news is that the new pieces are a) veterans without a ton of tread wear on them, b) used to playing in the playoffs and have that experience, and c) solved some of our issues at C and RHD.

I did like the trades - bottom line that you have to give to get sometimes.

The only thing that is really interesting is that while we have a new coach, there have been multiple instances of moves made that were staples of what the old coach talked about changing. Chayka's assessment for Tocchet seems very similar to what had been mentioned about Tippett, too. Seems like the decision was not based on Tippett and Chayka not getting along, but the Tippett vs Barroway battle.

https://sports.yahoo.com/coyotes-gm-wanted-tippett-back-not-interested-hossa-214752979.html

Maybe that is the only piece that has this being a little awkward - it would appear that people talk about the coaching change as being a culture change, so to speak (less country club atmosphere, increased accountability, etc.), however, it appears to be less related to organizational culture and more based on Barroway and Tippett not being able to get along.

So, a 7 seems fair because I don't want to assume that everything is better b/c Tocchet is in charge. The paper version of this team looks ready to make a little noise, but games aren't played on paper.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I gave them an 8. The signings have been ok. The trades have been really good. The regime change was amazing. I can't remember the last time I was this excited for an upcoming season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I understand your position here, however I think you're misleading yourself. We aren't a playoff team right now and we sure as hell weren't with Vrbata, Smith or Doan, that was proven. Coaching was the biggest change made this off season in my opinion. A new system to unleash talent is what we've been missing. Lack of scoring goals, something Duclair and Keller are used to doing, just not under Tippet.

The right side will be fine, I'd imagine something is brought in to fill that. Murphys contract was not awful by any stretch. For his production and the going rate for a RHD his contract is prime. We've lacked a competent center since who knows when and we never had a first pairing d corps. Finding a top 4 RHD is a lot easier than finding a #1

I'm probably one of the happiest to get rid of Murphy who is a third pairing. Amost 4 mill. for a third pairing is terrible. I think he gets paid 4.6 for the next two years.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Roster:

Plus:

Stepan is an upgrade over Hanzal but no a huge upgrade.

Chalmers is a huge upgrade over Schenn.

Minus:

We don't have a 2RHD with DeAngelo/Stone/Murphy gone, all would be vying for the position.

Toch, change should be good, but might not, hard to say.

This season will boil down to how good our young guys are and how much they improve. We will have some upside with Domi/Duclair/Keller/Strome/DVO, but some could regress also or spend most of the year in the AHL.

I am pretty excited about our potential and I think Toch was a smart hire versus less experienced coaches mentioned.

I agree, but I'm real excited about Raanta, but nervous at the same time.

Smith's stats last year:

Smith had 30 SA per game and Raanta 26. Not a big difference. What do you mean by quality start percentage?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Smith's stats last year:

Seriously, these stats are pretty meaningless for goal tenders on 2 different teams. Raanta isn't proven yet for a full season and there is a reason Calgary acquired Smith. Raanta is a big risk, but I hope he works out and you are correct.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'm probably one of the happiest to get rid of Murphy who is a third pairing. Amost 4 mill. for a third pairing is terrible. I think he gets paid 4.6 for the next two years.

I agree. i didn't see him as third pairing like you did at the start of the year but he certainly is IMHO. I don't get why Chicago took him in a trade for Chalmers.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't think Raanta is riskier than being subject to the likely downswing of Smith after a good season. He's put two of those in a row exactly once.

Raanta has risks but I think that has more to do with cost to acquire and his contract being only a year.

My main concern of the changes so far is that Hjalmarsson could be in for a hard decline. Quite a number of Chicago fans/media were concerned about it at least. Though there is some evidence that Hjalmarsson helps to raise the game of those he plays with so if it helps OEL then on balance it can work out.

Otherwise I'm happy to have Stepan even if giving up the 7OA increases the criticality of Strome/Keller panning out to their fullest extents.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Seriously, these stats are pretty meaningless for goal tenders on 2 different teams. Raanta isn't proven yet for a full season...

After Ulf left, the Rangers' defense suffered. They were not nearly as good as they were two years ago. And it was into that situation - when Lundqvist got injured - that Raanta made his impact. And by all reports Raanta is a big asset in the room - the guys all loved him. What goalie in our past decade could you say that about?

...and there is a reason Calgary acquired Smith.

Yeah, and it's a two-word reason: Brad Treliving. I don't see any other teams trading for a goalie at Smith's price point and age.

I think Smith is due for a bit of a renaissance with Calgary's loading up on defense in the off-season, and if it happens, good for him. But nobody is ever going to convince me that Smith is any higher than on equal ground with Raanta, and I firmly believe Raanta can be better and more consistent than Smith over a full season.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
I think the changes are promising.
It will be great to have success and create an even bigger change in the press.
I listened to every interview after the hiring announcements of both Toc and Patterson and the media is so much luke warm on the Coyotes that any momentum created by the front office is stopped.
Channel 3 AZ Family station just went through the Patterson hiring so fast it sounded like one of those side effect sped up portions of an ED commercial.
They should have put a stop watch on that announcement...has to be a record.
The guy on AM 1580 today interviewing Keith Tkachuk about possibilities of success of this franchise had to mention 4 times that he was first and foremost a Blackhawks fan but did go to the Pens game and one other..
But INSISTED that hockey can make it in the desert...
Can you imagine someone paid to promote sports in any other town telling viewers that he backed other teams...

So that off my chest, yes the changes are promising, now the Coyotes media department needs to have a talk with our cities media partners....

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I listened to every interview after the hiring announcements of both Toc and Patterson and the media is so much luke warm on the Coyotes that any momentum created by the front office is stopped.

You must have missed Gambodoro's fawning phone interview with Tocchet today where he went to great lengths to tell how big buddies they were back when Tocchet was playing, mentioning all the bars they went to, etc.

Gambo loves the HC hire because, like almost everyone in the East Valley, he's stuck back in the Kachina sweater days... :D ;)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
After Ulf left, the Rangers' defense suffered. They were not nearly as good as they were two years ago. And it was into that situation - when Lundqvist got injured - that Raanta made his impact. And by all reports Raanta is a big asset in the room - the guys all loved him. What goalie in our past decade could you say that about?

Yeah, and it's a two-word reason: Brad Treliving. I don't see any other teams trading for a goalie at Smith's price point and age.

I think Smith is due for a bit of a renaissance with Calgary's loading up on defense in the off-season, and if it happens, good for him. But nobody is ever going to convince me that Smith is any higher than on equal ground with Raanta, and I firmly believe Raanta can be better and more consistent than Smith over a full season.

We will see this year whom has better stats, I think smith will, but I hope Raanta plays well for us.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ

Raanta only needs to be Smith's equal if the team doesn't defend better and score more.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If you look at the last 3 seasons, only Carey Price has a better save percentage than Raanta.

Price is at 929, Raanta 924. Next up is Dubnyk, Holtby, and Darling, all at 923.

Same with GAA. Price is at 2.09, but Raanta is next at 2.17 (tied with Holtby).

Mike Smith comes in at 911 and 2.96 in those two categories. In GAA in particular, he ranks 53rd out of 54, ahead of only Ben Scrivens.

In terms of even strength SV%, again Price is first at 938. But Raanta is next up at 931, tied with Dubnyk, Anderson, Crawford, Holtby.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If you look at the last 3 seasons, only Carey Price has a better save percentage than Raanta.

Price is at 929, Raanta 924. Next up is Dubnyk, Holtby, and Darling, all at 923.

Same with GAA. Price is at 2.09, but Raanta is next at 2.17 (tied with Holtby).

Mike Smith comes in at 911 and 2.96 in those two categories. In GAA in particular, he ranks 53rd out of 54, ahead of only Ben Scrivens.

In terms of even strength SV%, again Price is first at 938. But Raanta is next up at 931, tied with Dubnyk, Anderson, Crawford, Holtby.

I take this with a grain of salt because of the more limited exposure of Raanta, not being the starting goalie.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
That's fair, but I don't think the point was he'll be the second best goaltender in the league behind Price. The point made is he should adequately fill the gap for our disgruntled, oft-injured, notoriously inconsistent former starter.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I take this with a grain of salt because of the more limited exposure of Raanta, not being the starting goalie.

Well, you remember the last two real starters we have had on this team? Both of them were career backups. Mike Smith went from being a total headcase and wildly inconsistent backup goalie for Dallas and Tampa to a total headcase and wildly inconsistent starter for Arizona and was actually nominated for a Vezina one year. So was Ilya Bryzgalov, whose five-hole was the subject of YouTube jokes from Anaheim and Edmonton fans, whose personality quirks could fill the Bhagavad Gita, and whose career cratered after he left, but who took the Coyotes to their first playoffs in years.

What I'm saying is that Raanta comes in here with a better pedigree and better stats than either Bryzgalov or Smitty had as backups, and a great personality to boot. And he took the reins from one of the top three goalies in the NHL last year when Lundqvist got hurt and actually outplayed him. So I honestly don't get why everyone is so pessimistic about the guy. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad