Confirmed with Link: Julien Nantel signs ELC

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We haven't had one in a while and it's great to see the news Julien Nantel signed his ELC to begin next year with the Avs.

Nantel has had two solid seasons with the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies. He's truly both a LW and C, plays all situations and his speedy playmaking game combined with a nice shot will help the Rampage a lot next year.

STATS

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Congrats! Very happy to have him signed. Looking forward to seeing what he can do at the next level.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I know I've been cynical but I'm glad to be proven wrong, plus the Avs had to sign someone. So the 2014 draft class isn't dead yet! But seriously, I'm really glad they decided to move forward developing Nantel. He shouldn't have fallen to the 7th round and has had two good seasons for RN. He's been one of my favorites for a while and absolutely will help the Rampage and can develop into a nice versitile bottom 6 option for the Avs down the line.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Happy to see him getting his shot. He was drafted in the 7th round and took his chance then ran with it. Looking forward to following him through the organization.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Sounds like he's really turned on the jets since he was drafted. Good to see some new young blood coming into the forward pipeline.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Glad to see it. Should be a good middle 6 player next year with the Rampage.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I can only assume that this was TV's reaction to the good news:

giphy.gif

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know I've been cynical but I'm glad to be proven wrong, plus the Avs had to sign someone. So the 2014 draft class isn't dead yet! But seriously, I'm really glad they decided to move forward developing Nantel. He shouldn't have fallen to the 7th round and has had two good seasons for RN. He's been one of my favorites for a while and absolutely will help the Rampage and can develop into a nice versitile bottom 6 option for the Avs down the line.

Is it wrong for me to think he'll have a Petryk-like impact for the Rampage once he's settled in with them? Just seems like the kinda kid who'll make any line he's on better, and gel well with the top talents.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Good. Now hopefully he focuses more on the defensive side of the game in the AHL, that's his best shot at carving out a role in the NHL. Could be a fast Pandolfo or a Josefson if all goes well.

Either way he'll be good AHL depth when Dean decides to play him.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Loved this pick since we got him, Nantel is a fun darkhorse to cheer for. Hope to see him continue developing, he certainly isn't short on talent

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's a hard worker, good skater and there is a little bit of skill there. He has a shot to be a NHLer in a few years.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Should be a good AHL scorer. Signing makes sense with all the changes in SA coming up this summer. Congrats to him.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Interesting out of the blue timing. Maybe they are starting to make their rounds with ELCs and he just accepted it right away.

He's also a 7th round pick. I'm sure to some degree he's happy to have been drafted. The fact he got a contract i'm sure is because of his play, but he's probably a bit more humble than kids from the 1st round.

Wasn't he projected as a first rounder well before his actual draft?

Seems like he responded appropriately.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
He's also a 7th round pick. I'm sure to some degree he's happy to have been drafted. The fact he got a contract i'm sure is because of his play, but he's probably a bit more humble than kids from the 1st round.

Wasn't he projected as a first rounder well before his actual draft?

Seems like he responded appropriately.

I more meant from the Avs' standpoint than his. I wonder when they offered ELCs and to whom they were extended.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I more meant from the Avs' standpoint than his. I wonder when they offered ELCs and to whom they were extended.

On early picks (especially 1sts) teams tend to make a bonafide offer early... usually they are low balls to ensure they keep the 2nd year of rights, but if they are serious about signing some of them there will be serious negotiation. On later picks or players they are really unsure on, usually teams wait until later in the season or even after the season to give the bonafide offer. It has become rare when players don't get a bare minimum bonafide offer.

Now real negotiations really varies. Some teams like to sign players early so that the signing bonuses come off the cap hit early. Some like to wait and evaluate. Some are in the middle. The Avs have typically been in the middle somewhere in the past, but lately have trended towards full evaluation. The question is that the new trend, or is it just because they didn't really like their 2014 draft?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad