Confirmed with Link: Julien & Muller Fired! Ducharme Interim Coach & Burrows Joins Habs Coaching Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree, I don't think they've quit on him either, but something was still wrong here.

For years I felt that Julien was getting the most out of a poor roster.

This season however we have a decent roster, probably above average even, and one of the easiest schedules imaginable thanks to the Covid divisions, and he's not getting much out of it.

How much of that blame is on him? I don't know, but something had to give, especially when you factor in our poor special teams, which has been an ongoing problem throughout his tenure.

Ya I'm not surprised he got fired. The biggest thing for me are the special teams. I don't think the team is as good as some may think, but we shouldn't be looking this sloppy.
I don't get the feeling they quit on Julien but his teams are usually pretty organized and structured, so it's weird seeing the guys play very sloppy. That said, it's been like this since game 1. Maybe Julien's head wasn't in it after his health scare and COVID...I don't know really. Alas, the page has turned, let's see what Ducharme does.

Toastman

Oct 12, 2011
Yeah, like the two 8 game losing streaks last season. Way too common.

Julien was in his 4th year, far from being "way too early". It was plain to see that many players had given up on him.
Then they should have fired him at the end of last season.. we had a great start to the season.. one slump does not merit firing a Stanley cup winning coach..

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
What are you talking about? Chabot, Tkachuk and Stuetzle are already better than anything we have. Add Norris, Bratherson, and Brannstrom, and they got Formenton, Sanderson, Dokker, Pinto, Abramov, Thomson coming.

I agree, and that mindset is brutal. 20 guys playing as a team can beat anyone, on most nights.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Agree totally. And that's what's been wrong with this franchise for the past 25 years -our complete and utter lack of young players developing into impact building blocks. It's been always failures and stunted growth and in some cases, trades that see them develop elsewhere (i.e. Mcdonaugh, Sergachev)

We did get good blocks rising at the same time with Price-PK-Maxpac-Gallagher becoming strong players together. But we failed to surround them adequately.

Reactions: DAChampion

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
What are you talking about? Chabot, Tkachuk and Stuetzle are already better than anything we have. Add Norris, Bratherson, and Brannstrom, and they got Formenton, Sanderson, Dokker, Pinto, Abramov, Thomson coming.
Exactly. Sens will be a force very soon

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No doubt about it -- that's going to be one of Ducharme's top jobs. I don't get where the KK from last year's playoffs, has gone.
It was a 10 game sample buddy, dead smack in the middle of a pandemic, with a bunch of players not even wanting to play as reported by Pierre McGuire and Darren Dreger. Heck, teammates were even fighting each other in their bubble hotel.
I wouldn't base anything off this little summer covid tournament.

Reactions: the

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Now fire the real problem, you can do that by looking in the mirror idiot. 3 kids down the middle that can't win faceoffs? Yikes.

That donut is going to need filling. Can't see how they can keep rolling with the kids -- a trade is the only option, if MB truly wants to go all in.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Then they should have fired him at the end of last season.. we had a great start to the season.. one slump does not merit firing a Stanley cup winning coach..

We are playing 2/3 of a normal season in a condensed schedule with a full cap and high expectations in what most can see as a weak division which the Habs should easily seal a top 4 spot. The inconsistency reached a boiling point and something had to give, it's no big mystery.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Special teams and offence are at the top of the list for improvements, but physical play needs to be right up there as well. The team plays so soft considering the players it has. I think it'll make a big difference for the big defenceman and Kotkaniemi.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

What’s the limitation period on that Chp victory? Because that was ten seasons ago with a whole different team. I can’t believe any rational person still uses it in evaluating Julien’s 2021 performance.

Reactions: CHfan1 and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It was a 10 game sample buddy, dead smack in the middle of a pandemic, with a bunch of players not even wanting to play as reported by Pierre McGuire and Darren Dreger. Heck, teammates were even fighting each other in their bubble hotel.
I wouldn't base anything off this little summer covid tournament.

Sure, but he still showed something. He took his game to the next level. Once you display a skill like that, you own it. It still has to be there, it needs to be brought out again. No one is asking him to do something he's not done before as we all realize he's only 20. But, that recent display of skill, it should be there, is all I'm suggesting.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What’s the limitation period on that Chp victory? Because that was ten seasons ago with a whole different team. I can’t believe any rational person still uses it in evaluating Julien’s 2021 performance.

Yeah but, that 10 year ago Julien SC win sure impressed Bergevin. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Tighthead

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
This is f***ing great!! Hated the hiring in the first place, wasted 4 years but at least it’s done. I like Muller but the PP needs a shake up - I’m not a Burrows fan but we will see.

Can’t wait to see the lines

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
fondest Claude memory....

he was still the coach of Boston...

he was super pissed that Habs were 4-2 lead in the waning moments and sent out Rinaldo raise hell, turned out he ran at Nate Beaulieu...

Nate gave him a carbon fiber crosscheck to the dome... Nate be all like... 'I ain't playin playa!'

Nate could be hell on wheels on and off the ice, but I miss his swagger.

Reactions: Man Purse

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I think Ducharme as interim is by far the best option. If he sucks like Cunneyworth, no problem you hire someone better in the offseason, if he's a success, extend him... the worst thing would be a CJ hiring, like Gallant or Babcock with a multi-years contract and see absolutely no change (like what happen when CJ got hired).

I always felt Ducharme was hired to be groomed to take over for Julien at some point as did a lot of fans. And that appears to have been the case. Hopefully he brings a more modern approach to the game that this team hasn’t had in what seems like forever. Getting rid of Muller was just as important as getting rid of Julien IMO as well.

Reactions: MTL-rules
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad