Proposal: Julien Gauthier

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Some of you guys are missing the point. If we are trading Gauthier because we aren't going to protect him, it doesn't make sense to trade for players like Gaudette or Virtanen who would need to be protected.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
The goal he scored against Philly was great. The 8 minutes in penalties, not so much.
Not a reason to sit him. He didn't get called for lazy hooks or holds. He got his stick up, the first one it rode up the Flyer's stick. The second one hit Giroux's blood packet; didn't even look like the stick hit anything but his visor. Howden does not bring what he brings; at all.

Reactions: Sayba

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Not a reason to sit him. He didn't get called for lazy hooks or holds. He got his stick up, the first one it rode up the Flyer's stick. The second one hit Giroux's blood packet; didn't even look like the stick hit anything but his visor. Howden does not bring what he brings; at all.

Quinn didn't sit him for it, even though it directly led to 2 goals against. Other players have been benched for less. I'm just pointing out that there are valid reasons why he hasn't gotten more minutes.

Reactions: romba

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
3 minors for stick infractions is nothing to brag about. The goal was fine, but that type of carelessness is not. And it is not his first time.

He didn't get benched. I would hope that he was spoken with. And would not be shocked if he were to be scratched if such penalties continued.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
3 minors for stick infractions is nothing to brag about. The goal was fine, but that type of carelessness is not. And it is not his first time.

He didn't get benched. I would hope that he was spoken with. And would not be shocked if he were to be scratched if such penalties continued.
Not bragging. We need to see what he can become with all that raw talent. Only way that happens is if he plays. I'm sure he understands that he should keep his stick down in the future.

Reactions: Sayba

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not bragging. We need to see what he can become with all that raw talent. Only way that happens is if he plays. I'm sure he understands that he should keep his stick down in the future.
So then to keep playing he has to learn that he cannot take penalties like that. Especially 3 times in one game.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I would definitely keep him around. He has shown flashes of his skill. That combined with his size/speed make it worth taking a look for at least another season.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
He won't get in friday, why change lineup after yesterday

If he gets exposed, and claimed, then another guy wasnt claimed

If Habs offered Tuch the younger, I'd be tempted

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Gauthier is earning points to be protected over other options. But organization has time to do the final tally before proceeding with who actually become protected.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Some of you guys are missing the point. If we are trading Gauthier because we aren't going to protect him, it doesn't make sense to trade for players like Gaudette or Virtanen who would need to be protected.

The big TDL/offseason question will be Buchnevich. Question #2 is Ryan Strome. If Gauthier (plus?) is dealt and the piece coming back is good enough to be decided to be protected, then someone else is simply out... I would also try to use Hajek plus in a trade to upgrade the D a bit at the deadline/draft - if there is an ample opportunity...

PROTECTED (7F, 3D, 1G)
Forwards
  • Artemi Panarin (NMC)
  • Mika Zibanejad (NMC)
  • Chris Kreider (NMC)
  • Ryan Strome
  • Pavel Buchnevich
  • Filip Chytil
  • Julian Gauthier/Return from an eventual Gauthier trade
Exempt: LAF, Kakko, Kravtsov
Exposed: Kevin Rooney, Colin Blackwell, Brendan Lemieux, Brett Howden
Expiring contract: PDG

Defensemen
  • Jacob Trouba (NMC)
  • Ryan Lindgren
  • ?? (Libor Hajek)
Exempt: Fox, Miller, Reuanen
Exposed: Bitetto
Buyout: ADA
Expiring contract: JMFG, THe WEdding Crasher

Goalie
  • Alex Georgiev
Exempt: Shesty
Exposed: Kinkaid

Reactions: kovazub94

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Don't mean to detour from Gauthier but It will suck to lose someone like Lemieux. I know sometimes he can make a boneheaded play but he has enough skill, decent, skating and grit to be a very good 4th liner even on a good team.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
So then to keep playing he has to learn that he cannot take penalties like that. Especially 3 times in one game.
You can give a shift or three off to make a point. He needs to skate each night and show what can do or not do.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Don't mean to detour from Gauthier but It will suck to lose someone like Lemieux. I know sometimes he can make a boneheaded play but he has enough skill, decent, skating and grit to be a very good 4th liner even on a good team.
The guy has no clue; no IQ. He has little ability to simply get the puck over the blue line which leads to extended D-zone time. if he doesn't figure this out, all the physicality and pestering will not make him worth keeping because the offense is just not there.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
The big TDL/offseason question will be Buchnevich. Question #2 is Ryan Strome. If Gauthier (plus?) is dealt and the piece coming back is good enough to be decided to be protected, then someone else is simply out... I would also try to use Hajek plus in a trade to upgrade the D a bit at the deadline/draft - if there is an ample opportunity...

PROTECTED (7F, 3D, 1G)
Forwards
  • Artemi Panarin (NMC)
  • Mika Zibanejad (NMC)
  • Chris Kreider (NMC)
  • Ryan Strome
  • Pavel Buchnevich
  • Filip Chytil

Defensemen
  • Jacob Trouba (NMC)
  • Ryan Lindgren
  • ?? (Libor Hajek)

Goalie
  • Alex Georgiev
We actually have a pretty simple scenario as it relates to the expansion draft.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You can give a shift or three off to make a point. He needs to skate each night and show what can do or not do.
No one is or should be excused from discipline. You can give some time during a period off to make a point. If he does it again, a stronger statement needs to be made.

What happens to Gauthier's future is entirely up to Gauthier. We can seen glimpses. But he needs to earn the right to be thought of as need to see him skate more to see what he can do. That does not come with immunity from benchings or scratchings for completely careless penalties which lead to goals from other teams.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The guy has no clue; no IQ. He has little ability to simply get the puck over the blue line which leads to extended D-zone time. if he doesn't figure this out, all the physicality and pestering will not make him worth keeping because the offense is just not there.
Yes sometimes it's frustrating when he doesn't make the simple play to get the puck in deep when he gets to the redline/blueline but I totally disagree that the offense isn't there. I'm not saying he should be on the top 6 or even on the pp but give me a guy that can put up 25-30 5 on 5 points playing a physical style on my 4th line any day of the week.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
No one is or should be excused from discipline. You can give some time during a period off to make a point. If he does it again, a stronger statement needs to be made.

What happens to Gauthier's future is entirely up to Gauthier. We can seen glimpses. But he needs to earn the right to be thought of as need to see him skate more to see what he can do. That does not come with immunity from benchings or scratchings for completely careless penalties which lead to goals from other teams.
first, the penalties weren't completely careless. the first one for instance happened when his stick rode up the Flyer's stick and got high. That happens all the time. He was careless with Giroux when he tried to lift the stick and missed. We do not want to curtail his aggressiveness which was sorely lacking until recently. These stick battles are battles he was not having before with the same conviction. I am all for letting him know this needs to improve by taking away some ice time. But he needs to be confident and aggressive and if he believes that every aggressive mistake will land him in street clothes, you will do more bad than good with this approach.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
From the Canucks, I would want Gaudette. We are in deep need for another young center. We were one injury away from having to use Kevin Rooney in the top 6 while Chytil was out.

Obviously the Canucks have Pettersson and Horvat as their top 2 guys for a while. Gaudette has really struggled this season, but a new team could possibly get him back on track.

That being said, I don't think Gauthier is available. They need to figure out what is happening with Buchnevich first. Until that happens, he should be in their plans. If Buch goes, you can consider Kakko, Kravtsov, and Gauthier as the top 3 RWs for this team.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

PROTECTED (7F, 3D, 1G)
Forwards
  • Artemi Panarin (NMC)
  • Mika Zibanejad (NMC)
  • Chris Kreider (NMC)
  • Ryan Strome
  • Pavel Buchnevich
  • Filip Chytil

Defensemen
  • Jacob Trouba (NMC)
  • Ryan Lindgren
  • ?? (Libor Hajek)

Goalie
  • Alex Georgiev
The Rangers are in good shape here. You can make an argument that they could be on the prowl for a seventh forward or third defenseman worthy of protection. They may be able to make a favorable deal with a team that has protection stress.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
first, the penalties weren't completely careless. the first one for instance happened when his stick rode up the Flyer's stick and got high. That happens all the time. He was careless with Giroux when he tried to lift the stick and missed. We do not want to curtail his aggressiveness which was sorely lacking until recently. These stick battles are battles he was not having before with the same conviction. I am all for letting him know this needs to improve by taking away some ice time. But he needs to be confident and aggressive and if he believes that every aggressive mistake will land him in street clothes, you will do more bad than good with this approach.
You are supposed to be responsible for your own stick. So yeah, it was careless. No one is curtailing his aggressiveness but his careless penalties cost two goals. And the team lost.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yes sometimes it's frustrating when he doesn't make the simple play to get the puck in deep when he gets to the redline/blueline but I totally disagree that the offense isn't there. I'm not saying he should be on the top 6 or even on the pp but give me a guy that can put up 25-30 5 on 5 points playing a physical style on my 4th line any day of the week.
I am not saying that he offense is or isn't there. I am saying that he needs to be more consistent. As for 30 points, can he get 15 first? And can I see one check first before I say that he is physical? It is one thing to use your body well, it is another to be physical.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
From the Canucks, I would want Gaudette. We are in deep need for another young center. We were one injury away from having to use Kevin Rooney in the top 6 while Chytil was out.

Obviously the Canucks have Pettersson and Horvat as their top 2 guys for a while. Gaudette has really struggled this season, but a new team could possibly get him back on track.

That being said, I don't think Gauthier is available. They need to figure out what is happening with Buchnevich first. Until that happens, he should be in their plans. If Buch goes, you can consider Kakko, Kravtsov, and Gauthier as the top 3 RWs for this team.
wonder if we can snag that Jim Vesey kid from Vancouver? I heard he won the Hobey Baker

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I am not saying that he offense is or isn't there. I am saying that he needs to be more consistent. As for 30 points, can he get 15 first? And can I see one check first before I say that he is physical? It is one thing to use your body well, it is another to be physical.
if 82 games was a thing last season I believe he was on pace for 25 or 26 points. Yes compared to most of our other players he does have the speed and aggressiveness to get in on the forecheck. Consistency would be nice but that probably is gonna be the thing keeping him from being a good third liner in this league. unfortunately, many guys lack the consistency they need to make them more than decent 4th liners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad