Proposal: Julien Gauthier

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks fan coming in peace. Like Gauthier's game, was wondering what the cost on this player would be since he's probably lost to Seattle in the expansion draft.

I see most project the Rangers to protect Zibby, Panarin, Kreider, Buch, Strome, Chytil, and Lemieux up front. That leaves Gauthier, and Howden the 2 most likely candidates to be selected unprotected. There is a chance DeAngelo could be the guy Seattle takes, but if no team took him on waivers, I don't think Seattle takes him unless the Rangers pay them to. Even then it seems like he may be blackballed out of the NHL.

I could be wrong about whom the Rangers protect, but ya what would it take for the Canucks to get this guy?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Canucks fan coming in peace. Like Gauthier's game, was wondering what the cost on this player would be since he's probably lost to Seattle in the expansion draft.

I see most project the Rangers to protect Zibby, Panarin, Kreider, Buch, Strome, Chytil, and Lemieux up front. That leaves Gauthier, and Howden the 2 most likely candidates to be selected unprotected. There is a chance DeAngelo could be the guy Seattle takes, but if no team took him on waivers, I don't think Seattle takes him unless the Rangers pay them to. Even then it seems like he may be blackballed out of the NHL.

I could be wrong about whom the Rangers protect, but ya what would it take for the Canucks to get this guy?

Something involving either Gaudette or Costmar I'd be interested in.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I think the lesson from the previous expansion is that it's flawed to make moves for cents on $1 pre-expansion. There was a reason why Gauthier was acquired and at this point his performance warrants that he will have at least an even chance to be a part of the protected list as Lemieux or Howden.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Something involving either Gaudette or Costmar I'd be interested in.
I’d do Gaudette for gauthier. Gaudette as been miscast here as a checking line winger whereas he’s better suited as a top 6 winger. Gauthier I feel due to his size and speed could fill in better on that 3RW role and perhaps displace virtanen on the 2nd line wing

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i'd ask for youth - such as Keppen and Zlodeyev maybe,
send back a Cap Hit if needed but that's not the return that matters for NYR
I'd ask for Lind but he also needs protecting from Expansion

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I would think that Lemieux and Howden have as much of a chance of being exposed as Gauthier. Personally I'd be thrilled if he becomes "Diet Chris Kreider" for us. It looks like he's just starting to 'get' the kind of game he needs to play to be a successful NHL player and since power forwards take longer to develop, I'd like to wait and see what we have with him before trading him.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I think the lesson from the previous expansion is that it's flawed to make moves for cents on $1 pre-expansion. There was a reason why Gauthier was acquired and at this point his performance warrants that he will have at least an even chance to be a part of the protected list as Lemieux or Howden.
I’m not saying sell him pennies on the dollar, if that’s the case no reason to trade him. what I meant is what’s of more value from the Canucks that it’s worth losing howden.

For example. Let’s say gauthier is Seattle’s first choice and howden is their 2nd. If the rangers would trade howden for a 3rd round pick first chance they got, it’s better for them to to take an offer of a 2nd round pick for gauthier and just lose howden to Seattle rather than lose gauthier to Seattle and get a 3rd for howden. That way the rangers end up with a 2nd round pick value instead of the 3rd round pick value after the expansion draft

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I’m not saying sell him pennies on the dollar, if that’s the case no reason to trade him. what I meant is what’s of more value from the Canucks that it’s worth losing howden.

For example. Let’s say gauthier is Seattle’s first choice and howden is their 2nd. If the rangers would trade howden for a 3rd round pick first chance they got, it’s better for them to to take an offer of a 2nd round pick for gauthier and just lose howden to Seattle rather than lose gauthier to Seattle and get a 3rd for howden. That way the rangers end up with a 2nd round pick value instead of the 3rd round pick value after the expansion draft

This is the flaw in your logic. It's TOTALLY worth losing Howden. He's a decent pk-er who is an offensive black hole and cant make or receive a pass to save his life. VAN can have him for a bag of pucks.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
i'd ask for youth - such as Keppen and Zlodeyev maybe,
send back a Cap Hit if needed but that's not the return that matters for NYR
I'd ask for Lind but he also needs protecting from Expansion
I’d do either of those guys for gauthier
I would think that Lemieux and Howden have as much of a chance of being exposed as Gauthier. Personally I'd be thrilled if he becomes "Diet Chris Kreider" for us. It looks like he's just starting to 'get' the kind of game he needs to play to be a successful NHL player and since power forwards take longer to develop, I'd like to wait and see what we have with him before trading him.

I see the consensus from cap friendly have gauthier and howden exposed whilst Lemieux is protected. I could see the rangers exposing Lemieux and protecting gauthier. This is just fantasy and that’s why I was asking if the consensus is wrong on which of those 3 is being protected.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
This is the flaw in your logic. It's TOTALLY worth losing Howden. He's a decent pk-er who is an offensive black hole and cant make or receive a pass to save his life. VAN can have him for a bag of pucks.
I don’t know much of the player. I was just going based off age and pedigree of who would be next best option for Seattle after gauthier is traded based off who else is left unprotected. I was using the 3rd round pick value as an example.

if the next best option for Seattle remains howden, isn’t it worth getting let’s say a 5th for gauthier and having Seattle take howden than it would be having Seattle take gauthier and keeping howden or getting a 7th round pick for him?

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I don’t know much of the player. I was just going based off age and pedigree of who would be next best option for Seattle after gauthier is traded based off who else is left unprotected. I was using the 3rd round pick value as an example.

In your hypothetical example, sure. But I'd rather expose Howden and Lemieux and let the chips fall where they may (maybe we get really lucky and they take DeAngelo off our hands). In 2 weeks I might be singing a completely different tune, but right now, Howden and Lemieux are what they are, but we're starting to see flashes from Gauthier.

Reactions: resting buch face

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021

the way things are going, Gauthier should be protected over Lemieux, AINEC.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
I’d do Gaudette for gauthier. Gaudette as been miscast here as a checking line winger whereas he’s better suited as a top 6 winger. Gauthier I feel due to his size and speed could fill in better on that 3RW role and perhaps displace virtanen on the 2nd line wing
We have no room for a top 6 winger. We need "real" fourth liners that can change the momentum of a game and defend. Lemieux has not been doing that and is therefore expendable.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
In your hypothetical example, sure. But I'd rather expose Howden and Lemieux and let the chips fall where they may (maybe we get really lucky and they take DeAngelo off our hands). In 2 weeks I might be singing a completely different tune, but right now, Howden and Lemieux are what they are, but we're starting to see flashes from Gauthier.
Ahh see that’s why i asked it capfriendly’s consensus was incorrect. The consensus has lemieux protected over gauthier but it seems as if that’s incorrect and gauthier is more likely to get the last protection slot over lemieux.

If that’s the case then it becomes what do the Canucks have to give up that it’s worth having lemieux + Canucks offer over gauthier. If lemieux is seen in the same light as you’ve mentioned howden (aka a bag of pucks) then there’s no reason to trade gauthier unless you’re getting full value or more for gauthier.

Of the offers other rangers fans have posted that they’d want, I’d probably do any of them. Most reluctant on costmar or Lind, but if nothing else sufficed, I’d probably do those offers too

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Ahh see that’s why i asked it capfriendly’s consensus was incorrect. The consensus has lemieux protected over gauthier but it seems as if that’s incorrect and gauthier is more likely to get the last protection slot over lemieux.

If that’s the case then it becomes what do the Canucks have to give up that it’s worth having lemieux + Canucks offer over gauthier. If lemieux is seen in the same light as you’ve mentioned howden (aka a bag of pucks) then there’s no reason to trade gauthier unless you’re getting full value or more for gauthier.

Of the offers other rangers fans have posted that they’d want, I’d probably do any of them. Most reluctant on costmar or Lind, but if nothing else sufficed, I’d probably do those offers too

Lemieux has more value (in my opinion) than Howden - definitely worth more than a bag of pucks, but if I got to choose who to expose, I'd expose Howden and Lemieux - of course this is all just my opinion - other posters on this board might violently disagree with me.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Lemieux has more value (in my opinion) than Howden - definitely worth more than a bag of pucks, but if I got to choose who to expose, I'd expose Howden and Lemieux - of course this is all just my opinion - other posters on this board might violently disagree with me.
Thats fair. The question I’d have for you then is what would the Canucks have to offer for gauthier, that you’d prefer the trade return + protecting lemieux over having gauthier?

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Thats fair. The question I’d have for you then is what would the Canucks have to offer for gauthier, that you’d prefer the trade return + protecting lemieux over having gauthier?

Honestly, I'm woefully ignorant of VAN prospects outside of the big names that everyone knows because of their pedigree, so I'll leave it to a more informed poster on these boards to answer that question if they choose to. Ultimately, the Rangers needs centers more than anything. That's the best I have for you.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I’d do either of those guys for Gauthier

I did write "Keppen and Zlodeyev," not 'or' 8^)

a 4th and 6th, is not unfair, for a young recent 1st w size and skill, who just showed his upside baking Carter Hart on Monday,

if it was 1-1 I'd expect more proven or high ceiling return, like a Hoglander (prob not available, understood),
or a Lind(but who still leaves NYR w Exp Draft quandary)
but i was looking for a win-win that you'd accept

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I did write "Keppen and Zlodeyev," not 'or' 8^)

a 4th and 6th, is not unfair, for a young recent 1st w size and skill, who just showed his upside baking Carter Hart on Monday,

if it was 1-1 I'd expect more proven or high ceiling return, like a Hoglander (prob not available, understood),
or a Lind(but who still leaves NYR w Exp Draft quandary)
but i was looking for a win-win that you'd accept

ahh okay ya I’d still do keppen and zlodeyev. Definitely wouldn’t do hoglander. Would prefer to avoid giving up Lind but if nothing else was going to work i’d probably do lind

would something like zlodeyev + keppen + palmu + kielly for gauthier + kinkaid work? I noticed he’s your 4th stringer and the Canucks could use a veteran to sit on the taxi squad. Palmu and kielly’s contracts end at the end of this season and average out the contracts to 2 for 2 since zlodeyev and keppen are unsigned currently

Last edited:

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think there's a good chance Gauthier is protected so we wouldn't be losing him for nothing. At this point it has to be between he and Blackwell for the final protection slot. If Seattle took Howden or even Lemieux I wouldn't lose an iota of sleep over that.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I understand but it means that Gauthier is traded for someone for someone who doesn't need to be protected (which is an asset) so there will be a loss of value build it. The only other scenario I see is from this example where Gauthier is moved for a pick.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Rangers fans will argue semantics (one is a center, another is agitator and another has extra size, speed and skill but questions about these translating at the NHL level) but there's really not a huge difference in terms of importance to the organization between these three players that would make it worthwhile for Gorton to go to work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad