Julia Louis-Dreyfus, as Elaine Benes, funniest female character on television ever?

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Depends on how strict the definition of those are-- I'm using them pretty loosely.

A lot of people would disagree, but I think it starts to decline as early as season 5, personally (as in I start to have more and more skepticism of at least parts of it, not that it's not still a ton of fun/still has great episodes/peak moments). Jumps the shark maybe around season 8 (as in it becomes pretty mediocre overall, parts of it outright bad, but still occasional good moments-- Maybe not irredeemably terrible).

I definitely didn't continue to enjoy the show as deep into its run as lots of other people here seem to, though (though I also seem to like season 1 way more than other people do).
I feel like there would have to something significant in the style change of the show to be 'jumping the shark' though, not just the writing going down. s5 and s7 are my all time favorite, and my second favorite episode is in s10 (The Gang Misses the Boat), so would disagree that's when it started to go downhill, s4/s5 seems to basically be majority consensus as their prime, including them.

I would personally say they arguably jumped the shark in s13 , when Glen wasn't sure if he was coming back, and then Rob getting into his other shows/buying a football club. I think Mac Finds His Pride was super close to a jump the shark moment, it was way too pretentious to close out their arguably most mediocre season. But honestly every season has classic Sunny episodes that still meet the bar imo, s13 still has The Gang Gets New Wheels and Time's Up For the Gang; there's probably nothing from s14 or s15 I love as much as those two, but s16 was their best in years.
Friends along with The Big Bang Theory are the most overrated sitcoms of all-time imo. Both of them are painful to watch.
Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men*
Friends has it's place, and some truly iconic moments in pop culture. Even if the writing doesn't fully hold up, the chemistry there was legendary for a sitcom

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Friends along with The Big Bang Theory are the most overrated sitcoms of all-time imo. Both of them are painful to watch.
It's fast food for mass consumption. Kind of like Disney crapping out all these Star Wars and Marvel shows.

I feel like there would have to something significant in the style change of the show to be 'jumping the shark' though, not just the writing going down. s5 and s7 are my all time favorite, and my second favorite episode is in s10 (The Gang Misses the Boat), so would disagree that's when it started to go downhill, s4/s5 seems to basically be majority consensus as their prime, including them.

I would personally say they arguably jumped the shark in s13 , when Glen wasn't sure if he was coming back, and then Rob getting into his other shows/buying a football club. I think Mac Finds His Pride was super close to a jump the shark moment, it was way too pretentious to close out their arguably most mediocre season. But honestly every season has classic Sunny episodes that still meet the bar imo, s13 still has The Gang Gets New Wheels and Time's Up For the Gang; there's probably nothing from s14 or s15 I love as much as those two, but s16 was their best in years.

Friends has it's place, and some truly iconic moments in pop culture. Even if the writing doesn't fully hold up, the chemistry there was legendary for a sitcom
Two and a Half Men has no substance. It's watchable in a bubble gum "hey I'm stuck in the airport or at a social event and let's kill 20 minutes" kind of way.

Reactions: Voight and DaaaaB's

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Again, I'm using the term loosely to just mean a drop in quality into totally mediocre. If it's technically the wrong term to use, I'm happy to agree that I'm using hyperbole to express a general sentiment.

I think season 5 is still pretty enjoyable overall, but I do feel the start of a decline in what I liked about the show, personally (I think season 4 was pretty air tight and inspired). It starts to feel zany/gimmicky with less cohesion/organicness, despite still regularly being funny, in my opinion (they're all zany and gimmicky to some degree obviously, but I think it really consistently worked and always felt inspired rather than forced before that point). It's similar to how I feel that season 5 of The Simpsons is also the start of its decline, despite tons of people loving it/thinking it's the peak and a ton of episodes being considered classics. I just disagree with them.

I can agree that stuff like S13 is when it gets really unwatchable (weirdly similar to The Simpsons as well), but I was already pretty checked out and dismissive about the show by that point, personally.

I also find that I rarely agree when people argue that despite a season being bad, THIS episode is still amazing or THAT episode is still amazing. For me, even though there might be standouts relative to the rest of an underwhelming season, I very rarely find the ceiling of them to be as good as people say. There are late episodes that give you SOMETHING nice for a change, but still not enough, in my opinion. Even the "good" ones feels a pretty off to me.

But we don't have to agree on this.

Last edited:

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
But we don't have to agree on this.
I mean I can somewhat agree with your point, if you were being hyperbolic on when in your eyes the show started to go downhill, fair enough, I don't think most Sunny fans will agree s5 was the start, but that's what you feel. The Gang Gives Frank an Intervention is my fav ep of the series just to tie in to my #2 episode

The whole one good episode out of a shit season is also fair, but at the same time I dont think in Sunny's case it's "relative to the rest of an underwhelming season", they're just legitimately good episodes up to the bar of their classics, among a sea of mediocre/average episodes

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I mean I can somewhat agree with your point, if you were being hyperbolic on when in your eyes the show started to go downhill, fair enough, I don't think most Sunny fans will agree s5 was the start, but that's what you feel. The Gang Gives Frank an Intervention is my fav ep of the series just to tie in to my #2 episode

The whole one good episode out of a shit season is also fair, but at the same time I dont think in Sunny's case it's "relative to the rest of an underwhelming season", they're just legitimately good episodes up to the bar of their classics, among a sea of mediocre/average episodes
Right, I get that that's your perspective, I'm just saying that to me, I almost never find that to actually be the case (including in It's Always Sunny), and those stand-out one-offs only feel pretty decent relative to the bad season, personally. Even if they have a hilarious premise for one episode, and lots of great laughs, and it sticks out as memorable, something about the execution will almost always have remnants of what makes the rest of the season bad and make the tone of it feel slightly off and slightly forced, which most people aren't bothered by but ends up being disqualifying for me regardless, I find.

I can't really think of an exception where I've felt otherwise, off the top of my head. Maybe individual gags themselves that I'll still love (even that's rare), but not entire episodes.

I feel the same way about things that are considered one-hit-wonders in music-- I get why they're considered that, but I usually don't even find that one "hit" to be truly all that good.

Last edited:

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Louis-Dreyfess is right there as best female comedic actors. I think Sarah-Jessica Parker was great on Sex In The City even though that would be classified as a drama.

My Best-Carey

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I like Seinfeld a lot and Elaine especially, but even if we were limiting it to one woman per show, I'd have a hard time putting her in my top-10. Not sure about an order here, but:

Lucy Ricardo
Samantha Stephens
Rose Nylund
Kitty Forman
Elliott Reid
Lucille Bluth
Liz Lemon
Jess Day
Leslie Knope
Eleanor Shelstrop

That's already 10. Thinking about it, Elaine may or may not make it in my top-20.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
If Janeane Garofolo had been a man she would have been in ANYTHING. Julia Louis Dreyfus was extremely funny as Elaine and is a wonderful comedienne. But Garofolo for me is another level.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think I have a favourite women comedian.

I liked her on Seinfeld, but there a few characters that come to mind before I think of Elaine.

Richards' physical comedy was a perfect fit for the show. Jason Alexander was incredible. I also think of Wayne knight who made me laugh almost everytime I saw him in a scene with his vindictive Shakespeareian like character.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Gillian Jacobs as Britta on Community is phenomenal. They shifted the character partway through and she never missed a beat. Great delivery and physical comedy.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I would choose Tracey Ullman, she did great in pretty much great in everything, whether it was TV, film, music (videos) or theatre.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Gillian Jacobs as Britta on Community is phenomenal. They shifted the character partway through and she never missed a beat. Great delivery and physical comedy.

Both her and Alison Brie as Annie are so good in it. On the whole, Britta is probably the funnier character, but Annie does a wider range of stuff because Brie is a more versatile actor. It’s close, IMO.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I think what makes Katy Segal so impressive as Peg Bundy was she just naturally morphed into that role being from a musical/singing background as opposed to a properly trained actress. And she improved as an actress as seen in Sone of Anarchy.

We've seen a similar progression from Olivia Munn but not in a comedic sense.

I saw Jess Day mentioned above....yeah....in my opinion she's very similar to Jerry on Seinfeld, a main character who is probably the least interesting character on the show. She's the entrance into the universe but is extremely annoying while trying to be cute and funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad