Julia Louis-Dreyfus, as Elaine Benes, funniest female character on television ever?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Friends along with The Big Bang Theory are the most overrated sitcoms of all-time imo. Both of them are painful to watch.
The problem with the big bang is the last few years 90% of the episodes were written around sheldon Cooper. I hate their last episode more than how I met your mother. In rewatching how I met your mother they realy telegraphed the ending starting in season 3

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The problem with the big bang is the last few years 90% of the episodes were written around sheldon Cooper. I hate their last episode more than how I met your mother. In rewatching how I met your mother they realy telegraphed the ending starting in season 3
My issue with Big Bang is how cartoony the nerds are. Real nerds aren't really like that. It's like someone used a 1980s template for a stock sitcom.

Reactions: Pugs35

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Richard and Mike are pretty likable.
The World's Least f***ed Geisha?

Jerri Blank on Strangers With Candy. That turned out to be the motherlode finding that PSA that Amy Sedaris was able to go whole hog into impersonating.

'I did things I wouldn't force upon a mule. And that includes things I forced upon a mule."

"You don't want to hit me or screw me? What kind of a marriage is this? Bring a book!"

Last edited:
Reactions: TheAngryHank

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The gay Irish fireman, he's all right.

Actually I've been rewatching Veep because of this thread. As much as Mike is not as bad as some of the others, he definitely has questionable morals at times. His protests to unsavory/amoral matters usually revolves around him not wanting to be involved but he rarely protests to say what is being done is wrong. And he has moments of laughing/rooting for some of Selina's morally dubious tactics.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The gay Irish fireman, he's all right.

Actually I've been rewatching Veep because of this thread. As much as Mike is not as bad as some of the others, he definitely has questionable morals at times. His protests to unsavory/amoral matters usually revolves around him not wanting to be involved but he rarely protests to say what is being done is wrong. And he has moments of laughing/rooting for some of Selina's morally dubious tactics.
Seems like he has a healthy marriage and family life. "Ginger Rogers and also Ginger Rogers"

Will has the patience of Job. "Shut up you fat girl."

Reactions: HanSolo

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview

Jerri Blank on Strangers With Candy. That turned out to be the motherlode finding that PSA that Amy Sedaris was able to go whole hog into impersonating.

'I did things I wouldn't force upon a mule. And that includes things I forced upon a mule."

"You don't want to hit me or screw me? What kind of a marriage is this? Bring a book!"
That show was hilarious. Amy Sedaris has got to be up there. It sort of reminded me of Kids In the Hall, but a sitcom.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
Both her and Alison Brie as Annie are so good in it. On the whole, Britta is probably the funnier character, but Annie does a wider range of stuff because Brie is a more versatile actor. It’s close, IMO.
Not a coincidence that the funniest female sitcom characters are the ones that are not the token love interests and stuck in the will-they-won't-they storylines. Elaine Benes, Britta Perry, Sweet Dee, Liz Lemon, etc...

If I recall, Britta and Elaine started off as a potential love interest, but they abandoned that pretty quickly and they gradually became more interesting characters when they were part of the group's antics.

Dee from It's Always Sunny took that to another level by becoming the butt of the gang's jokes.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
That show was hilarious. Amy Sedaris has got to be up there. It sort of reminded me of Kids In the Hall, but a sitcom.
"I'm an obtuse man, so I'll be oblique."

"It's not a cold sore! I bumped my lip on a biscuit!"

"That's me on the beach; perfectly appropriate beach attire for Greece."

Reactions: Hippasus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad