98.5 The Sports Hub Judd Sirott Named Play-By-Play Announcer For Bruins

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
Unreal. Looks like I will be watching the games on mute this year. Really wish we could've got Goucher on Nesn somehow.

EDIT: I said Sirott is a moron because on Felger and Mazz he said the Bruins have a chance to "compete for a title" and the first reason he cited to why, was because "Rask has won a Cup before".

My post was edited and that part was deleted, saying I need to provide a link to him saying that. Here's the link:

http://tinyurl.com/y7h8xq9c

1:37 mark

I get that he's happy to have the job and he's not just going to smash the team the way a disenchanted fan such as myself would, but he was way over the top. Can't be taken seriously, nothing but team broadcaster ballwashing. Useless commentary. Felger called him right out on it, too.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As I said earler. You would think he just lost multiple family members. There will be other openings in other markets there Rysn.

Sirott was given a huge advantage in the audition process when he called a Blackhawks/Bruins game while Johnson got the first home game which was really Grand Rapids vs Providence. I really believe CBS Radio is just parking Sirott here until something major opens in Chicago.

Reactions: Strafer

Wally1912

Sep 8, 2006
NAS South Weymouth
When I first heard Sirott's voice calling the Bruins/Blackhawks game, I actually thought it was Doug Brown until Sirott annouched who he was. Does anyone remember Doug? He was a BU guy who did studio work for Sox, Bruins, and Celtics on TV38 and Channel 68. He was with ESPN radio for quite some time, but I haven't listened much to that outlet in recent years to know if he's still with them.

Bearclaw

Jul 25, 2013
California
Sirott was given a huge advantage in the audition process when he called a Blackhawks/Bruins game while Johnson got the first home game which was really Grand Rapids vs Providence. I really believe CBS Radio is just parking Sirott here until something major opens in Chicago.
Fen, do you still believe that the “major” hire you were talking about after this year is still possibly in the works or is that a moot point now?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I mostly knew him as the fifth inning play by play for Cubs broadcasts when Pat Hughes took his breaks. Nothing to really hate or love, but nothing really memorable positively or negatively. Just a safe, vanilla play by play choice. Best of luck to him, at the very least you shouldn't hate the guy.

Oh don`t you worry, some will find a way to hate him:D

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I caught a couple of his goal calls in the second period and I loved it. I really enjoyed his voice and how he calls the game. I think he'll fit in just fine.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I listened a bit last night. It was ok. I think I just need to get used to the high pitched voice.

Could be worse.. they may not be on the radio at all. Good thing NESN isn't involved.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Unreal. Looks like I will be watching the games on mute this year. Really wish we could've got Goucher on Nesn somehow.

EDIT: I said Sirott is a moron because on Felger and Mazz he said the Bruins have a chance to "compete for a title" and the first reason he cited to why, was because "Rask has won a Cup before".

My post was edited and that part was deleted, saying I need to provide a link to him saying that. Here's the link:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/audio/fe...t-on-bruins-play-by-play-gig-upcoming-season/

I get that he's happy to have the job and he's not just going to smash the team the way a disenchanted fan such as myself would, but he was way over the top. Can't be taken seriously, nothing but team broadcaster ballwashing. Useless commentary. Felger called him right out on it, too.

He’s a moron because he thinks Rask (who was unbelievable in the 2013 playoffs) can help the team compete for a title? While I wouldn’t entirely agree, with his theory, if the B’s are going to compete for a Cup, Rask will be one of the key components.

So, he can’t be taken seriously because he’s overly positive about the team and a ballwasher?

Does the same hold true for a poster that is overly negative, trolls, and just takes shots at the players and management every chance they get?

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
He’s a moron because he thinks Rask (who was unbelievable in the 2013 playoffs) can help the team compete for a title? While I wouldn’t entirely agree, with his theory, if the B’s are going to compete for a Cup, Rask will be one of the key components.

So, he can’t be taken seriously because he’s overly positive about the team and a ballwasher?

Does the same hold true for a poster that is overly negative, trolls, and just takes shots at the players and management every chance they get?
That's not what he said, he said they'll compete for a title because Rask has won a Cup before.

Yes he can't be taken seriously because he's overly positive. He's a team broadcaster, they're paid by the team to be positive and get people interested. Which is fine, but I'm not going to take their commentary even remotely seriously.

Your thinly veiled jab at me at the end does not apply, I've already said that I'm excited to watch this team this year (for the first time in years) because they finally have a semblance of direction. I would trust the opinion of someone who was overly negative (with reason) before I'd trust someone who has any kind of "blind faith".

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
That's not what he said, he said they'll compete for a title because Rask has won a Cup before.

Yes he can't be taken seriously because he's overly positive. He's a team broadcaster, they're paid by the team to be positive and get people interested. Which is fine, but I'm not going to take their commentary even remotely seriously.

Your thinly veiled jab at me at the end does not apply, I've already said that I'm excited to watch this team this year (for the first time in years) because they finally have a semblance of direction. I would trust the opinion of someone who was overly negative (with reason) before I'd trust someone who has any kind of "blind faith".

You have stated this before. No one will buy it until you provide a link to prove it.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
You have stated this before. No one will buy it until you provide a link to prove it.
I edited my post above, with the link. Here it is anyway, the fact that it's so outrageous of a claim that nobody will buy it until they hear it with their own ears, says it all:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I edited my post above, with the link. Here it is anyway, the fact that it's so outrageous of a claim that nobody will buy it until they hear it with their own ears, says it all:

Thanks for the link. He does come across very uninformed in this.

But to be fair, Rask has won a cup before, he wasn't the starter, but he won one.

Last edited:

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
Thanks for the link. He does come across very uninformed in this.

But to be fair, Rask has won a cup before, he wasn't the starter, but he won one.
Well yes the dispute isn't the fact that he's won a Cup before, the dispute is the fact that he was a backup when they won, so him "winning" the Cup is really irrelevant...

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I listened to all four of the preseason broadcasts. Certainly, as Fenway noted, Sirott got a huge advantage because he got a game between the Bruins' varsity and a team he was intimately familiar with, but what I was really impressed with was his chemistry with Beers & his ability to discuss the team's issues. His PXP is solid - he's on the play without being too rapid-fire. His goal call is a bit "high," but I don't think that takes away from his play-by-play.

I'm a Cubs fan - I've heard him a ton when the Cubs were on WGN, and he didn't really stand out, but was solid (although he wasn't "the guy" on those broadcasts, and Pat Hughes, who is one of the best in baseball, is). However, having dabbled a bit in PXP, to me, baseball can be a difficult sport to call, especially if you're raised on hockey. I thought he was a solid choice, as Johnston would have been. I can understand Johnston's disappointment - while yes, there are other jobs in other markets, it's not the *Bruins* job. However, he's solid. If he pursues those opportunities, this one might come available at the right time. Having come up through the org, worked in Providence, worked with the flagship station, that is the dream job, and it's disappointing to not get *the* job you want, but the reality is, there are only 62 team PXP jobs in the NHL (counting radio & TV). They're scarce and very difficult to obtain.

I thought it was interesting that, the day this was announced (and the day our local NBA team announced its new PA announcer, which several area sportscasters auditioned for), the Sportscasters Talent Agency of America tweeted "The decision about who gets hired is often more about a unique something that someone has vs. anything lacking in other finalists." I don't know if they were referring directly to the Bruins' job, but it certainly could have.

Last edited:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I haven’t listened to any Bruins radio in years but this year will listen to most first periods on the radio when I at work ( can’t get any downtime until around 9 pm Atlantic time ) . I look forward to a new era in Bruins radio .

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I didn’t think the jab at the end was veiled at all?

Your explanation of why someone who exhibits blind criticism is more trustworthy than someone who displays blind homerism is amusing. Personally, I wouldn’t trust the opinion of either.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Listened to most of the game. Not a fan. Maybe we were spoiled with Gouch.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Listened to most of the game. Not a fan. Maybe we were spoiled with Gouch.
He's the Trupiano of hockey. I kept thinking we scored because he would be screaming about every shot that hit the net. I am still somewhat glad I didn't have to watch this debacle on tv

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
He's the Trupiano of hockey. I kept thinking we scored because he would be screaming about every shot that hit the net. I am still somewhat glad I didn't have to watch this debacle on tv

Exactly.. You'd think Varmy was standing on his head the way he reacts. My Dad always complains about Jack getting excited about the other team scoring.. Hopefully, he never listens to this guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad