Player Discussion JT Miller Thread

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
The problem with the trade was never Miller being the target. He was an excellent target, its just that the canucks were in a position of strength and paid like they were desperate. Just because the first round pick didn't bite us doesn't mean it couldn't have. And like yeah at this rate even losing a lottery pick might have been worth it for Miller, but the process was still bad because no one saw him being this good. Like you absolutely could have had him for less.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The problem with the trade was never Miller being the target. He was an excellent target, its just that the canucks were in a position of strength and paid like they were desperate. Just because the first round pick didn't bite us doesn't mean it couldn't have. And like yeah at this rate even losing a lottery pick might have been worth it for Miller, but the process was still bad because no one saw him being this good. Like you absolutely could have had him for less.
They could have gotten JTM for cheaper..?..Do you have a source,or is this your take..?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He was not an exceptional player at the time we acquierd him.
I disagree. Just based on increased ice-time alone I pegged him as a 65-70 point player when played on a top-6 line with PP time. That's already fairly exceptional even with the inflated scoring we're seeing in the game today. The fact that playing for us unlocked an extra gear in him is pure gravy.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I disagree. Just based on increased ice-time alone I pegged him as a 65-70 point player when played on a top-6 line with PP time. That's already fairly exceptional even with the inflated scoring we're seeing in the game today. The fact that playing for us unlocked an extra gear in him is pure gravy.

I agree. He had his faults but he was a top 6 player who was pushed down a stacked lineup. Getting a legit top 6 player in their mid 20s under a solid contract is worth a mid 1st. People can complain about the timing but at some point you have to add good players instead of just look to the draft. I did think he probably could have been cheaper given Tampa’s cap constraint but it’s hard to say without knowing if other teams were interested. I was as tough on Benning as anyone but it certainly wasn’t a bad deal at the time. Was at worst an ok deal. Seems silly to rag on it now.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
That trade was f***ing dumb for a middling team to make. Nothing against Miller at the time of the trade, but it was rightfully blasted.

Just so happens that we traded for a 2C and got a near franchise player.
I think this is a reasonable take and I agree.

The Miller trade ended up being one of the best trades in Canucks history.

At the time, the Canucks did not appear to be a team that should be trading futures. So naturally people were upset. I don't think that was an indictment on Miller himself, but rather the message that the trade sent about the direction of the team.

I liked the player at the time of the deal, I thought he was a legit top 6 winger(thought he'd play with Bo), just thought Benning overpaid since Tampa was in cap hell.
This is also a great point.

Tampa was forced to trade Miller. They had no option to keep him.

Understanding this, Benning still let them off the hook by giving up more than he needed to.

Benning could've gotten Miller for cheaper, which in hindsight doesn't mean much, but at the time, was a legitimate gripe, given Benning's track record of throwing away extra assets for no reason.

All in all, I'm still not convinced that Benning expected Miller to become as good as he did, simply because of Benning's history of extremely poor professional scouting/player assessment.

But a win is a win, and this probably goes down as the best move in Jim Benning's career as an executive.

Reactions: tradervik

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Ok.

We just have different definitions for what an exceptional player is.

The most dominant forward the Canucks have ever had. And not just this season, either.
Elias Petterson, Sedins, Näslund, Bertuzzi and Bure...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Miller was furious when the Canucks choked in OT and hung Demko out to dry. Gotta' love the passion with which this guy plays the game.

Since the all-star break, he's been the Canucks best player, and it's not even open for discussion. I just wish he could drag a few more guys along by their skate-straps, like Pettersson and Lindholm.

Reactions: Grantham

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Playing like a man possessed. Jt Miller is everywhere on the ice, standing out above and beyond everyone else doing just about everything in another gear offensively and defensively. He is definitely taking this team on his shoulders right now and the fans are loving him for it.

That shorty last night was beautiful, I was screaming of joy at my computer screen.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Miller was furious when the Canucks choked in OT and hung Demko out to dry. Gotta' love the passion with which this guy plays the game.

Since the all-star break, he's been the Canucks best player, and it's not even open for discussion. I just wish he could drag a few more guys along by their skate-straps, like Pettersson and Lindholm.
Leadership stick swings!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad