JT Miller question

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Complete player - can play centre or wing and play both the PP and PK. No weaknesses to his game in terms of skillset. Excellent hockey IQ, passing ability, and shot. Strong skater. Solid on faceoffs and excellent defensively when engaged. Physical and not afraid of the dirty areas.

Biggest weakness is his temperament. Can start to sulk if things don't go his way which is displayed through his body language and can lead to lack of effort. Tochett has worked wonders in holding him accountable in this regard.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Power forward with leadership.
Team player.

Yeah he’s a pretty complete player.

It actually blows my mind how underrated this guy is.
He’s tied for 4th in league scoring and he gets zero hype.
Even at the ASG and the draft yesterday it’s like everyone overlooks him. Even his own teammates (kidding but also not).

Don’t think there’s been another player who has consistently produced like he has in the last few seasons but doesn’t get the credit.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Yeah he’s a pretty complete player.

It actually blows my mind how underrated this guy is.
He’s tied for 4th in league scoring and he gets zero hype.
Even at the ASG and the draft yesterday it’s like everyone overlooks him. Even his own teammates (kidding but also not).

Don’t think there’s been another player who has consistently produced like he has in the last few seasons but doesn’t get the credit.
The all star game is a joke but I actually agree it kind of shows how underrated he is. He's a bonafide 90+ point two way centre who does it all. Tom Wilson, Konecny, Lindholm, Debrincat, Forsberg, Barzal, Thomas all picked ahead of him by his peers!

Reactions: Pantokrator

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I apologize for my ignorance, but I have never seen JT Miller play and was wondering what type of player he is. Is there a comparable player? What are his strengths and weaknesses? Thank you in advance.

Offensively, he reminds me a little bit of Todd Bertuzzi in his prime. Excellent playmaking ability, a wicked shot - not quite the soft mittens Bertuzzi has, but a good set of hands, too. He also has the grouchy, grumpy, surly thing down pat. He can play physically and sometimes dominates with his big frame.

The way he's not like Bertuzzi is defensively. When he cares, he's quite competent defensively.

I suppose if you were looking for a current NHL star comparable, maybe Matthew Tkachuk in some styles? Nowhere near as mouthy.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I apologize for my ignorance, but I have never seen JT Miller play and was wondering what type of player he is. Is there a comparable player? What are his strengths and weaknesses? Thank you in advance.

His best attribute has to be his playmaking, he has a wicked shot, and soft hands. He's great at taking faceoffs, very physical, goes to the dirty areas, and he often matches up against the best players on the other team. He was immature when he first came over, but he has grown into a leader. He's essentially a two way-playmaking-power forward center, who can play both wing positions, and one of the leaders on this team.

It really does feel like im overhyping him, but I firmly believe he is our best forward and a top 10 player in the NHL. He's such a unique player, I dont think any other player has his skillset in the NHL. I also believe none of our forwards drive a play like him.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Locker room cancer that doesn’t get along with Boeser was the thinking 3 seasons ago.

But thats changed now I guess…

The only thing we know for certain is that it was an ok trade in terms of value paid, but it was the wrong time to make the trade.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
In all seriousness , this versatile player is a complete force on the ice, seamlessly transitioning between center and wing roles while excelling in both power play and penalty kill situations. Possessing a well-rounded skill set, his outstanding hockey IQ, creative passing, and powerful shot make him a threat in various game situations. A robust skater, he demonstrates proficiency in faceoffs and showcases stellar defensive capabilities when fully engaged.

However, his biggest challenge lies in maintaining composure; he tends to display frustration through body language when faced with adversity, impacting his effort level. Tochett’s coaching has been instrumental in addressing this temperament issue, allowing the player to reach new heights on the ice.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Locker room cancer that doesn’t get along with Boeser was the thinking 3 seasons ago.

The only thing we know for certain is that it was an ok trade in terms of value paid, but it was the wrong time to make the trade.
No it wasnt..we had Markstrom, Horvat, Edler, Tanev, Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser..Thats a very solid group of players....It was the right time, but we couldn't field a cohesive supporting cast

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
He's a "modern day" power forward ... not the big 230 pound traditional type.
Kinda plays hard fast and in your face like Jerome Iginla.
He's good on the forecheck, really good shot, pretty good hands in close, good vision and can make plays. He's a do-it-all type of guy who can be first in on the forecheck, and 30 seconds later finish the shift with a goal beating the goalie clean.
Moody guy for sure, short fuse, when he gets frustrated, he makes bad passes. He has leadership qualities.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
He was my favourite player growing up but if there’s a comparable to Miller’s size, shot, acceleration up the neutral zone, physicality, and just the other nitty bitty things he brings, it’s Mike Modano.

Less electric than a prime Modano, but an energized Miller gives me that same type of vibe.

And who knows unlike Modano, he might hit 100 pts this season.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
One of the most complete forwards in the game. Plays all 3 forward positions with equal effectiveness. Does everything well, but nothing elite.

Occasionally does something idiotic, like throw a blind pass straight up the middle in the defensive zone for no reason. We will forever call those "bozo" moments thanks to @EdJovanovski

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

I was being sarcastic. I thought it was clearer because it wasn’t an answer to the question. but I guess it wasn’t

Reactions: andora

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Id say he is the 3rd best player running a PP in the league behind Kutcherov & McDavid.

One of the best F1s on the forecheck in the league.

Great at face offs.

Big strong and has a good first step. Can play physical but mostly uses is strenght to protect the puck.

His biggest weakness is his defensive play. It comes and goes. And his propensity to spiral out of control when he makes a loud mistake. Tocchet seems to have been able to manage both of these issues pretty much to a perfection this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad