JT Miller is truly a generational all time guy

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I had no problems with the timing or the target. My issue was was the risk of trading 1st round picks when we were a bottom 5-ish team in the league.

Also you wouldn't think someone who spent 9 years as a cheerleader for Jim Benning would be doing callbacks to that era, but I guess not, ,
it's funny how things work out. if we missed the covid bubble playoffs, the OEL trade never happens, Benning likely gets canned earlier than he did and who the hell knows where we are now. to borrow a line from what almost certainly isn't one of @LordBacon's favorite songs:

I've searched and I've found to get to that ninth cloud
You must trek through some dark and troubled ground
So may we all
Just once or twice, once in this life, just look around
'Cause usually I'm a wreck
But the hard times were just a step to get where I am on this ninth cloud

Reactions: LordBacon

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I had no problems with the timing or the target. My issue was was the risk of trading 1st round picks when we were a bottom 5-ish team in the league.

So are you now conceding that the Miller trade was/is a good trade?

Also you wouldn't think someone who spent 9 years as a cheerleader for Jim Benning would be doing callbacks to that era, but I guess not, ,

What a weird comment and attempt to deflect. I cheer for the team and like most regular posters here have made reasoned posts. But I've consistently admitted to being wrong when I am unlike someone who never does. :sarcasm:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So are you now conceding that the Miller trade was/is a good trade?

What a weird comment and attempt to deflect. I cheer for the team and like most regular posters here have made reasoned posts. But I've consistently admitted to being wrong when I am unlike someone who never does. :sarcasm:

Obviously the Miller trade has worked out well. But it came a hair away from trading #9 overall for him, missing the playoffs every year we had him, and then trading him for substantially less than what we paid. Which was my concern at the time, and it nearly happened.

You were wrong about virtually everything for 9 years and were a shill for the worst GM in modern NHL history. Trying to call out other posters for one of the rare times they might have been wrong in that period ... doesn't show a lot of self-awareness.

I'm not sitting here doing callbacks to you for being pumped about the OEL trade or the Gudbranson trade or the Sutter trade and so on.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
A lot of arguments on this forum boil down to posters inability to grasp that sometimes the lower probability choice or taking a moonshot actually works out.

Then they work themselves into a fever trying to backwards rationalize why the lower probability choice or moonshot was actually the only logical option and totally not a lower probability decision at all.

Miller's career arc is exceptionally unique. If he ages the way it looks like he's going to age, then he's got a great shot at ending his career with more points than either Sedin, which is pretty amazing to think about.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
A lot of arguments on this forum boil down to posters inability to grasp that sometimes the lower probability choice or taking a moonshot actually works out.

Then they work themselves into a fever trying to backwards rationalize why the lower probability choice or moonshot was actually the only logical option and totally not a lower probability decision at all.

Miller's career arc is exceptionally unique. If he ages the way it looks like he's going to age, then he's got a great shot at ending his career with more points than either Sedin, which is pretty amazing to think about.

You've got it exactly right. Lower probability move that worked out. Awesome it worked out, and that should be enough.

Interestingly enough, this season by the Canucks is another example of the lower probability scenario occurring. We are seeing this principle play out in right now.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
In hindsight, the Miller trade is something that did make sense for what Benning was apparently trying to do, which was to try to keep the team competitive by acquiring good players that needed to be traded, without giving up assets he couldn't afford to lose.

The problem was that Jimbo tried to force that every season, and so pissed away an unbelievable amount of players and picks for marginal players and had allocated dozens of millions in cap for UFA signings that simply did not contribute anywhere close to their worth. Such that by the time Miller was acquired, it already wasn't a great look - because even though he was cost controlled, his cap being in the books contributed to the crunch that led to losing Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli for nothing soon after.

So the trade came off more as a pricey rental for a team that hadn't made the playoffs in a long while, loading up for a first and final gasp, rather than an important step in a retool. The fact Miller decided to stick around then elevate his game had little to do with Jimbo himself. If not for COVID forcing a different playoff format, it's likely we wouldn't even have had that run and the trade ends up being an unmitigated disaster.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
In hindsight, the Miller trade is something that did make sense for what Benning was apparently trying to do, which was to try to keep the team competitive by acquiring good players that needed to be traded, without giving up assets he couldn't afford to lose.

The problem was that Jimbo tried to force that every season, and so pissed away an unbelievable amount of players and picks for marginal players and had allocated dozens of millions in cap for UFA signings that simply did not contribute anywhere close to their worth. Such that by the time Miller was acquired, it already wasn't a great look - because even though he was cost controlled, his cap being in the books contributed to the crunch that led to losing Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli for nothing soon after.

So the trade came off more as a pricey rental for a team that hadn't made the playoffs in a long while, loading up for a first and final gasp, rather than an important step in a retool. The fact Miller decided to stick around then elevate his game had little to do with Jimbo himself. If not for COVID forcing a different playoff format, it's likely we wouldn't even have had that run and the trade ends up being an unmitigated disaster.

It shouldn’t be hindsight, it was clear that is what he was trying do do at the time.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

A lot of posters who hate the trade downplay this but the trade was made for a future pick and after selecting Podkolzin. I think back to Gillis justifying the Ballard trade because he felt the team drafted well the previous two seasons. The Canucks had a top 10 pick in 6 out of the last 7 years at the time (with Boeser in 2015 being the exception). It was time to make a move and they did protect the pick (despite those who are clueless on what protected 1st round pick means). Petey looked like a star in the making, Quinn was entering his first full season, and Markstrom looked like an elite-level goalie.

I don't think that's an accurate. Miller had 4 years left on his contract and in his first season was a dynamic 1st line winger. The fact that he developed into a 100 point C is unexpected but as I have noted many times on here, Miller's point production was increasing every year prior to his last year in Tampa. Regardless, Miller's did have trade value. It's likely the Canucks wouldn't have gotten what they hope to get (given current management did try to trade him) but we still would have gotten a 1st ++ in return.

Even if we disagree on whether the team woudl have made the playoffs, if not for COVID, the Canucks would likely have retained Tanev and Toffoli as the cap would have risen. Maybe Green gets fired at least a season earlier if the Canucks didn't make the playoffs.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
OH You are 12.
My apologies little fella.
Tell Peter Pan I say H!
1711824969468.gif

archangel2

May 19, 2019
He demands control. He takes what he wants. He gets what he wants. The guy can hit. The guy can shoot. He can score. He can make plays. He can skate. He has never lost a fight. He plays like a man. He is virile, some might say even girthy. He’s a tank. He’s a king amongst men. He overwhelms goalies. He doesn’t quit on plays. He scores some big goals. He is unwavering. Simply put, he is unmatchable.

View attachment 840773
So that makes 7 or 8 generational guys on the canucks right now

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Jenerational Tenerational Miller.

It's right there in his name.

Reactions: Love

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Obviously the Miller trade has worked out well. But it came a hair away from trading #9 overall for him, missing the playoffs every year we had him, and then trading him for substantially less than what we paid. Which was my concern at the time, and it nearly happened.

You were wrong about virtually everything for 9 years and were a shill for the worst GM in modern NHL history. Trying to call out other posters for one of the rare times they might have been wrong in that period ... doesn't show a lot of self-awareness.

I'm not sitting here doing callbacks to you for being pumped about the OEL trade or the Gudbranson trade or the Sutter trade and so on.
You are so obsessed with being perceived as right. It's like your whole life depends on how people on this board view you. Any time someone questions you on a post you made in the past that didn't age well you throw a fit, start throwing accusations and insults, and start talking about your track record. Hilarious you even talk about self-awareness.

Again, it makes no difference whether I am wrong 100% of the time or even if you think I am the worst poster on here. It doesn't take away from the point I am making.

It's a simple question: are you now conceding that the Miller trade was/is a good trade? This isn't about me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad