JT Miller Hit VS Tom Wilson Hit

bert2z

Dank budz and death metal.
Jan 22, 2013
Michigan
Both clean hits. I'm not reading through 5 pages of comments, shoulder to head is different than elbow to head.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I really do not care what the goon was laughing at, he tries to hurt players(not hit them) and obviously has no conscience about it. OTOH, people are still calling it clean a clean hit, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.
Well that's swell and all but if you feel that way you probably shouldn't quote a post talking about what he was laughing about and interject yourself into that conversation.

It's like kicking in the door on a room and loudly announcing you don't care about anything that's happening in that room. Cool, keep on keeping on outside of the room then.

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017
I didn't say it was illegal, I simply struggle with anyone making fun of an injured player. If someone is knocked out with a legal hit, its still not acceptable to mock the player in my opinion. If you consider that a high horse you might be riding a little to close to the ground on your horse in my opinion.

Then why reference player safety at all?

You chastised me relishing the fact that Backes took a big, clean hit. Give it a rest..jesus christ.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Miller’s principal point of contact was the body. If Backes head was further down it’d be bad but Miller seemed to be aware

Wilson’s main point of contact was the head.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I hate how the word "goon" now seems to mean "dirty physical player" rather than a guy who's only good for fighting. We should probably get a new word for guys who throw dirty hits. "Goons" used to be the players who took care of that. (And no, this is not me saying goons should still be a thing. Just saying, we have to stop confusing these words.)

Herbert Lewis

FL to AK Bolts fan
Mar 16, 2018
Wilson's hit "clean'?????? He propelled himself so far up and off his skates that he basically landed in his own bench. Miller's one skate came up a half an inch and the other skate NEVER left the ice. The point of contact of Wilson's, was firmly right to the head, while Miller's wasn't. What shook Backes up was how violently his head whipped back from the hit on his shoulder. WOW some of these comments are ridiculous at best. That animal will kill somebody.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Then why reference player safety at all?

You chastised me relishing the fact that Backes took a big, clean hit. Give it a rest..jesus christ.

Relishing the fact that some one took a big hit is fine. Making fun of a player getting a potentially career threatening injury whether through a clean hit or not is childish. I will now give it a rest because clearly you can't differentiate.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Miller's hit was fine. In fact he gets bonus points because Backes is human-garbage :laugh:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
All I can say is that if Aston-Reese were as big a man as Backes is, I don't think Wilson would have been suspended. Miller explodes up through the body and incidentally catches some shoulder to jaw, it looks like, but all of this is fine because frankly you're not going to move David Backes any other way, that's how you have to hit a bigger body if you don't want to get bounced like a chump.

This was talked to death, but Wilson actually changes his body position before making a hit which led to his shoulder hitting Aston-Reese in the head. That means head contact was avoidable, which is a major part of the rule against hits to the head.

How are people still not seeing that?

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I hate how the word "goon" now seems to mean "dirty physical player" rather than a guy who's only good for fighting. We should probably get a new word for guys who throw dirty hits. "Goons" used to be the players who took care of that. (And no, this is not me saying goons should still be a thing. Just saying, we have to stop confusing these words.)
Goons are the guys who should still be in in league to teach pieces of shit like Wilson and Marchand a lesson. These guys are rats, not goons.

Reactions: Herbert Lewis

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Goons are the guys who should still be in in league to teach pieces of **** like Wilson and Marchand a lesson. These guys are rats, not goons.
Marchand licks people and as far as playing dirty, he's not in Wilson's league. Look up the video compilation on youtube of Wilson's dirty plays. There's no comparison of those players.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Wilson should've been suspended for his previous hit, this hit he leads with his shoulder, his feet slightly leave the ice and it's in no way a charge, he's literally slowing to get off before he finishes the hit. I would've given him 2-3 for his previous hit which IMO was WAY worse and we have conclusive evidence of it and this one a game tops.

The Backes hit was a thing of beauty, so awesome to see a POS like Backes get utterly destroyed cleanly. Absolute karma for fighting a children's book author and elbowing a goalie in the head, good on Bozo Miller laying out the TRUE clown of the NHL (Backes).

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Both clean hits. I'm not reading through 5 pages of comments, shoulder to head is different than elbow to head.

Sure, elbows to the head and shoulders to the head are different, but a shoulder to the head can be just as devastating if it is thrown recklessly.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I side with the reported coaches, GM’s, current and former players, etc...who all reached out to support Wilson.

The NHL f***ed this one up. Unless you’re suspending for all head contact, they blew this ruling. Sorry the guy got dinged.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad