JT Miller Hit VS Tom Wilson Hit

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

In the Miller video, observe, if you will, how Miller lowers down to make his body check. Backes had his head down.

In the Wilson video, observe how Wilson doesn't do that, he kind of propels his weight forward mid-air. Aston-Reese had his head up pretty much the whole way.

Bit of irony in the fact that both hits end up with an injury. In this sport, injuries will occur. But if guys hit like Miller, and not Wilson, I bet there would be less of them.
This idea that the league is going soft because it's calling out hits like Wilson's is madness. Hits like Miller's happen all the time, they are hard, and they make up very physical series, like if anyone has been paying attention to Jets-Preds, and to a lesser extent Vegas-SJ.

Does the "the league is going soft" crowd not see the subtle difference in the way a hit can be made, and how hits aren't actually disappearing (unlike the myth that's been spread around here)?

Last edited:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

In the Miller video, observe, if you will, how Miller lowers down to make his body check. Aston-Reese had his head up pretty much the whole way.

In the Wilson video, observe how Wilson doesn't do that, he kind of propels his weight forward mid-air. Backes had his head down.

Bit of irony in the fact that both hits end up with an injury. In this sport, injuries will occur. But if guys hit like Miller, and not Wilson, I bet there would be less of them.
This idea that the league is going soft because it's calling out hits like Wilson's is madness. Hits like Miller's happen all the time, they are hard, and they make up very physical series, like if anyone has been paying attention to Jets-Preds, and to a lesser extent Vegas-SJ.

Does the "the league is going soft" crowd not see the subtle difference in the way a hit can be made, and how hits aren't actually disappearing (unlike the myth that's been spread around here)?

This sport is inherently dangerous, this is a fact.
Basically the NHL has said: if you put your head down at the last minute, you're out of luck and we won't protect you (which is fine, they've been consistent at least)

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
About 5-10 years ago the NHL reached a critical crossroads in their own interpretation of the rules, at that time we saw a significant uptick in boarding calls in which the "victim" gave up his back as the perpetrator of the hit came bearing down on him. The NHL then decided to suspend the hitter more often than not and set the precedent players hold equal responsibility for the health/well being of the opposition. What we've seen grow out of that is less of an onus on players to protect themselves as the expectation is laid at the feet of the hitter. The ironic twist is that now we see more guys getting hurt because they've regressed into habits that were previously broken in youth hockey, we now see guys skating with heads down, we see players trying to frequently bail out of hits and suffer a worse outcome, and we're seeing guys put themselves in dangerous and vulnerable positions around the ice.

The 80s-90s certainly weren't "safer" but at that time there was at least this responsibility for your own well being. You stepped on the ice and you didn't operate with this sense of a safety net. Today the opposition is culpable for your health and so you see guys throwing themselves into mind-numbingly dangerous positions with zero sense of fear.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Don't agree with the statement.

While I see the point you're trying to make and agree with it, I've seen similar hits like Millers get penalized.

Consistency is and will always be the issue.

I'd love an example, because I find it hard to believe.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
They were both clean.
Completely agree. JT Miller's hit on Backes was a hard hit that could've been a lot worse and still a clean hit. Not much speed involved and you can tell he let up, more of a brace of impact.

Wilson's hit was a hard, high speed hit and the suspension was a result in what wasn't called the game before.

I never want to see any player injured, especially in a malicious illegal hit situation - but hockey is a contact sport and both of these hits are an unfortunate result in that

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Completely agree. JT Miller's hit on Backes was a hard hit that could've been a lot worse and still a clean hit. Not much speed involved and you can tell he let up, more of a brace of impact.

Wilson's hit was a hard, high speed hit and the suspension was a result in what wasn't called the game before.

I never want to see any player injured, especially in a malicious illegal hit situation - but hockey is a contact sport and both of these hits are an unfortunate result in that
Exactly.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Don't agree with the statement.

While I see the point you're trying to make and agree with it, I've seen similar hits like Millers get penalized.

Consistency is and will always be the issue.
Show me the suspension video, because that was 100% a clean hit and I've never seen a similar hit given supplemental discipline.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Show me the suspension video, because that was 100% a clean hit and I've never seen a similar hit given supplemental discipline.
David Pastrnak got suspended for a similar hit. It was definitely worse, but it had the same type of look.

For the record, i thought Pastrnak's hit was clean, much like this one.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
David Pastrnak got suspended for a similar hit. It was definitely worse, but it had the same type of look.

For the record, i thought Pastrnak's hit was clean, much like this one.
Pastas is higher on a player in a much worse position. He seems to just up and into Girardi.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Miller's hit was a thing of beauty.

Wilson getting 3 games for his hit was purely a product of his reputation, history and projecting his upwards. It should have been a 1 gamer IMO.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
All I can say is that if Aston-Reese were as big a man as Backes is, I don't think Wilson would have been suspended. Miller explodes up through the body and incidentally catches some shoulder to jaw, it looks like, but all of this is fine because frankly you're not going to move David Backes any other way, that's how you have to hit a bigger body if you don't want to get bounced like a chump.

Reactions: powerstuck

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
The main item of difference between the 2 hits is that Backes was not already engaged with a defender when he was hit. Backes has a responsibility of protecting himself to a certain degree (being the puck carrier) and the hit comes from straight ahead from the most likely defender in his POV. Backes was also concussed via head-head contact which is always accidental in the NHL. Miller didn't skate half the rink to get to him either.

These 2 hits couldn't be more different from an aspect of dirtiness IMO.

Ideally, I'd like to see a zero tolerance "no head contact" rule, but this is the NHL and they aren't smart enough to do that now. I'd have no problem if the Miller hit was a 2min pen, like a simple puck over glass is now. Wilson's hit should've been a 5min and a game misconduct. The NHL need to pay a $1B settlement before that will get through their CTE'd brains though. Any hit that results in a concussion should not be "part of the game". Sure, it can happen by accident or negligence, but players IMO should be penalized every time they cause one. That is the only way you are going to change the game for the better. Again, I say focus on the puck, otherwise, your intent of playing the body is always to injure. I don't expect everyone to have my POV, but I've been subjected to these types of hits while playing, and it isn't fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad