JT Miller has become the de facto captain of the Canucks over Bo Horvat

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
It is becoming increasingly obvious that JT Miller is regarded as the leader of the Canucks by the coach and the players—even if the ‘C’ is still with Bo Horvat.

Miller and the Canucks seem to be thriving since embracing him in this role—is it only a matter of time that the captaincy officially transfers from Horvat to Miller?

Consider the following quotes from just the past week:

Bruce Boudreau after Vancouver comes back from a 2-0 deficit at the 2nd intermission to take a 3-2 lead:

Quinn Hughes on the difference in the locker room lately, after the Washington game:

Bruce Boudreau after the Canucks 5-3 win over Montreal where Miller had a four-point night:

Bruce Boudreau on Miller ahead of the Toronto Maple Leads game:
https://twitter.com/nucksiceman/status/1500495700219424769?s=21

And recently Miller and Boudreau publicly had a half hour long chat after practice on the Canucks bench:
https://twitter.com/thomasdrance/status/1501275097742512133?s=21

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
S
I'm not referring to Bo Horvat's production—I'm observing the notable change as to who the team is referring to as their leader.
Some captains lead by example. Feels like the actual goals on the stat sheet mattered a bit more in the comeback.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
They may just be trying to influence their guy off of the trade block. They know their management reads or listens to what they say post game.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I'm not referring to Bo Horvat's production—I'm observing the notable change as to who the team is referring to as their leader.

Lmao…. … newsflash: Miller can be a leader, while Horvat is also the Captain and a leader.

IMO it’s pathetic how ppl feel the need to shit on Horvat … just because Miller is doing well? I guess nothing say Vancouverite more than randomly shitting on a good thing, Horvat, for absolutely no reason.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Lmao…. … newsflash: Miller can be a leader, while Horvat is also the Captain and a leader.

IMO it’s pathetic how ppl feel the need to shit on Horvat … just because Miller is doing well? I guess nothing say Vancouverite more than randomly shitting on a good thing, Horvat, for absolutely no reason.

There is a contingent of our fans that would be okay with trading Horvat, myself included - mostly because the team will likely have to move one of Miller, Horvat or Boeser due to the CAP but also because there have been long stretches this year where Horvat's play has been uninspiring or lazy. If Boeser is traded I'm more than happy to keep Horvat too. I think Horvat would sign a sweetheart deal.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Captain is often something bestowed upon the player who management feels “should” be the locker room/on ice leader not necessarily the one who actually is.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
Miller is the firebrand -- he hypes the team up, he criticizes when warranted, he rallies the team together. He's like the drill sergeant/field officer leading the charge in the middle of battle.

Horvat is more the quiet, collected, stability type. He's the command officer drawing up battle plans. You need both types of leadership on the team. Sakic and Yzerman didn't say much in the dressing room either, but one look from them told you everything you needed to know about whether you were playing your best or letting the team down. The Sedins were also cut from this mold.

Every team needs a hypeman to amp up the dressing room, but they also need that calm, assertive presence from team leadership. If they absolutely must get rid of someone, I'd rather it be Boeser. He's got a nose for the net but little else (and he gets injured frequently), and the Canucks have plenty of guys who can do that so he's fairly redundant. Horvat is essential for faceoffs, Miller for clutch play, both for leadership.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Horvat wasn't able to speak to the media because he was still in covid protocol. That's why Miller stepped up.
It is insane to me how many people repeat that bullshit lmao

Reactions: rypper

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
There is a contingent of our fans that would be okay with trading Horvat, myself included - mostly because the team will likely have to move one of Miller, Horvat or Boeser due to the CAP but also because there have been long stretches this year where Horvat's play has been uninspiring or lazy. If Boeser is traded I'm more than happy to keep Horvat too. I think Horvat would sign a sweetheart deal.

Yea. I’m up to date with Canuck fans are okay with.

It doesn’t change the fact ppl stupidly think that because Miller is a leader, Horvat is not.

It stems from spoiled unappreciative fans who are more looking for things to shit on.

In actuality, Horvat is also a leader, is a decent player, and probably the most likely of Boeser, Miller, and Horvat to want to actually play here once their contracts are done.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
We decided Miller was the real leader last year when the league dished us that horrible covid make up schedule. Owner said nothing, neither did the GM or captain....it was Miller that had to go public

“Real leader”.. YIKES.

Tell me you don’t play team sports without saying you don’t play team sports.

Multiple leaders aren’t mutually exclusive.

What did Miller speaking about schedule do exactly anyway? Did it get anything done? Not really. Just seemed like whiney about something we couldn’t change at best. #leadership

Mr Buckles

Jun 6, 2018
Bo Knows Captaincy.jpg

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Great decision by the Canucks. Telling Miller not to be a leader earlier in the season was a big part of the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad