Player Discussion JT Miller Appreciation Thread (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
"I'm trying to be patient, but I'm not going to change the way I'm playing, away from the puck and in my own end because I don't think I've given up much of anything there." — J.T. Miller

That's some f***ing leadership material right there.

Team worst -5, yet thinks he's been nothing but Selke quality through these first 5 games. Absolutely zero accountability.

That's why this team is shit and why it's going to continue to be shit. We probably have one of the worst leadership groups in the NHL.

No accountability. When something goes wrong, it's someone else fault. It's an absolute joke.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He's been bad this season but I think our fickle fanbase and media need to calm down a little. It's been 5 games and in which the whole team besides a select few players, hasn't looked good. Miller has been our best and most consistent player in the past 3 years and 200+ games yet all it takes for our fanbase and media to turn on him is 5 games. I guess I'm not totally surprised by his bad start considering him and his wife had a baby just weeks before training camp. I don't think his off season preparation in August and September (around the time of his child's birth) was not quite the same as it would be for any other season. And I can't imagine it being easy for him flying across the continent and to another country away from your wife, kids and newborn for a month.
This isn’t true though. He wasn’t their best player other than last season and I hate to repeat it but it was essentially 60 games of garbage time.

Brock was better in the Canadian division season and Miller’s attitude - disconnected controller syndrome, stick slamming, f-bombs, pouting…was a big reason for the bad mood surrounding the team. I get he was pissed at the shocking reboot but still.

And the quotes from that province article are damning. Not a leader but a loud mouth.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
This isn’t true though. He wasn’t their best player other than last season and I hate to repeat it but it was essentially 60 games of garbage time.

Brock was better in the Canadian division season and Miller’s attitude - disconnected controller syndrome, stick slamming, f-bombs, pouting…was a big reason for the bad mood surrounding the team. I get he was pissed at the shocking reboot but still.

And the quotes from that province article are damning. Not a leader but a loud mouth.

I meant to say collectively in the past 3 seasons he's been our best player

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Oh come on Miller...seriously? You're not going to take a shred of responsibility for your awful play in your own end?

The proof is in the pudding, dude. There are countless clips available of you turning the puck over and sulking back to the bench.

This contract hasn't even kicked in yet and it's already aging like milk.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
More like, "JT Miller depreciation Thread".

He's still a far better player than he's looked to start this season. But it's astonishing how much he's done to tarnish his reputation with fans so quickly after signing a huge new megadeal. That was already going to be an uphill battle to "win" on and live up to. Then he gets off to...this sort of memeworthy start. :laugh:

Should probably try to find a way to pull the ripcord on Miller playing at Center for a bit. Playing as a pivot just tends to exacerbate the volatility in his play. Unfortunately, that leaves us with 2 effective Centers and 1 limited minutes 4th liner. Nobody to actually Center the 3rd Line.

It's where i was okay with bringing Miller back. At worst, he's a good power winger. But they really needed to look at some creative ways to have at least some sort of "backup plan" beyond Petey/Bo/Miller all Centering their own lines.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I would put the Lotto Line back together. Hopefully you can get Miller going give Beoeser some worth.

Reactions: biturbo19

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He's been bad this season but I think our fickle fanbase and media need to calm down a little. It's been 5 games and in which the whole team besides a select few players, hasn't looked good. Miller has been our best and most consistent player in the past 3 years and 200+ games yet all it takes for our fanbase and media to turn on him is 5 games. I guess I'm not totally surprised by his bad start considering him and his wife had a baby just weeks before training camp. I don't think his off season preparation in August and September (around the time of his child's birth) was not quite the same as it would be for any other season. And I can't imagine it being easy for him flying across the continent and to another country away from your wife, kids and newborn for a month.

I believe last season was a fluke.

He was a middle 6er most of his career with character issues.

He had 1 good season followed by a season where he just gave up followed by last seasons insane puck luck, (EDIT. Obviously he played great too, nobody gets to 99 points without actually playing great) and now again pouting away.

They should have cashed in what ever value he had built (like the NYR package) at last years TDL.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I would put the Lotto Line back together. Hopefully you can get Miller going give Beoeser some worth.

That line hasn't really worked after Miller's 1st year here, but why not try it.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

He had 1 good season followed by a season where he just gave up followed by last seasons insane puck luck, (EDIT. Obviously he played great too, nobody gets to 99 points without actually playing great) and now again pouting away.

They should have cashed in what ever value he had built (like the NYR package) at last years TDL.

That line hasn't really worked after Miller's 1st year here, but why not try it.

Have we really used it? But as Drance just said whats the worst that is going to happen... we give up a lead... lose?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Have we really used it? But as Drance just said whats the worst that is going to happen... we give up a lead... lose?

Oh yeah, agree. Might as well try it.

Right now it seems everyone on EPs line looks better and anyone on Millers like looks horrid.

"For my birthday I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier... I put them in the same room and let them fight it out."

- Steven Wright

Reactions: racerjoe

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

The thought did cross my mind. But the main reason i wouldn't do that right now, is to avoid disrupting what Pettersson+Kuzmenko have going. I don't want to mess with something that works. Now...putting Miller on that other wing? That's something to think about. A 2/3rds Lotto Line with Kuzmenko instead of Boeser.

Reactions: racerjoe

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

Team worst -5, yet thinks he's been nothing but Selke quality through these first 5 games. Absolutely zero accountability.

That's why this team is shit and why it's going to continue to be shit. We probably have one of the worst leadership groups in the NHL.

No accountability. When something goes wrong, it's someone else fault. It's an absolute joke.
This puts it in context quite well.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB

f*** this guy. Never really liked him anyway but wow.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

I think it was Kevin Woodley who pointed at the majority of teams having to dip into the goaltending depth, which lead to just wacky scoring increases across the league.

8 players over 100 points, with JT Miller right on the cusp. Chris Kreider gets 50 goals when he'd never crested 30 prior. Miller won the lottery by nearing free agency when he did.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
What I find concerning in Miller's comments is how no one, from his coaches to his teammates, seems to have pointed out what he's doing wrong defensively. That speaks to a culture issue and a lack of accountability. I'm not even criticizing Miller for that. People need to be told the truth.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Maybe if JT wore his glasses while he played, his play would improve.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I’ve got this theory that Tim Tebow should have been a legendary quarterback, problem being was he was right handed but believed God wanted him to throw left.
Not buying it because being a lefty is a sin so if anything it was the guilt of being a lefty that ruined him

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
His NMC doesn’t kick in until next year, right? Can he be traded freely right now? If so, and if he really is a locker room cancer, seems like a no brainer to try to deal him soon for help on D.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
His NMC doesn’t kick in until next year, right? Can he be traded freely right now? If so, and if he really is a locker room cancer, seems like a no brainer to try to deal him soon for help on D.
He can be traded but he’s probably unmovable with that contract unless he is playing really well (and even then, it would be challenging to move him).

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

its going to be hard to move him with the new contract… if he was a pending UFA we could’ve gotten a decent return. If we just moved him at last TDL and retain half of his cap we should’ve been able to get a good haul. But… playoff run! We now have OEL and Miller’s big contracts to deal with for only 8 more year 😢

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
He can be traded but he’s probably unmovable with that contract unless he is playing really well (and even then, it would be challenging to move him).
We can probably we still get good value for him if we decide to retain him. Let's say 2.5M. That will be painful with dead cap for that long but we are not going to be contenders this decade anyways..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad