JT - Finisher.......

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I agree with this mostly. Last year though, JT was on pace for about 47 goals with lesser line mates by far. He saw the need to score with Moulson not potting as many as usual and Boyes only scoring 10.

If Vanek signs and Okposo continues to emerge, I can't put a ceiling on what John can do in the next few years...

He also did what I said in my post was needed to happen in order to score at that rate for guys like him or Crosby. His shooting percentage was much, much higher than any other season of his career, including this one.

For guys like JT or Crosby, they need to shoot around 17-18% on the season to even have a shot at 50 goals. If they shoot near their norm of 12-14%, it typically will result in the 30-40 goal range that I'd say is more realistic for them.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He also did what I said in my post was needed to happen in order to score at that rate for guys like him or Crosby. His shooting percentage was much, much higher than any other season of his career, including this one.

For guys like JT or Crosby, they need to shoot around 17-18% on the season to even have a shot at 50 goals. If they shoot near their norm of 12-14%, it typically will result in the 30-40 goal range that I'd say is more realistic for them.

Completely agree with your other post and this one. I was about to post something exactly like this one.

JT and Crosby are elite offensive catalysts who are both good for about 300 SOG's per season. I'm actually not completely sure of Crosby's numbers in that regard, but I assume it's similar.

Simple math, 12-14% is high 30's/low 40's in terms of goals. 15% equates to 45 goals and 17% equates to 51 goals. Both players are very capable of posting those type of numbers. Tons of assists as well.

JT had Moulson and Boyes last year when he was on pace for 47 goals. He had to a lot more by himself with those 2 and he had an outlier shooting percentage over 17%. It all makes sense to me.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006

True. I just laugh at many on the main boards who said/say that JT wasn't a top 10 player, let alone center. He's improving still and it's just a marvel to watch, even in this down season for the team. I'd bet that his shooting % for the next 5 years will eclipse his avg. so far. His shot totals/strong chances will probably rise as well.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Range makes a difference in JT's case, a bit less so for Crosby who can snipe from a bit further away due to his elite skating. JT was having a career type goal scoring season (Part season to be accurate) last year, but he in no Mike Bossy.
He has a very nasty wrist shot from within 15-18' but seems to want to go over the pad below glove or blocker alot, between arm and body. He does not try to raise his hands and roof many shots upper corners where is a lot of net with butterfly goalies.
I would say if he sere to shoot higher or increase the loft on his stick to something like between an 8 and 9 iron he would score more.
STK also rightly points out that he does not possess the great 1 timer blast or slapshot that will get him goals from 25-35'.
I have read his remarks on that he loves to score goals, it is what he thinks he is. Only he has to sharpen up, shoot higher, wait a tic on the goalie when he has the time. Getting off a fast shot is usually great, for JT he can sometimes shoot too quickly.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
BUMP BUMP!!!! We need to make threads like these more often :laugh::laugh:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Saw JT reading this thread before the game. Nicely done Bones, you are a better motivator than Cappy. #bones4nextcoach #workscheap

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Lol .. Was just coming here to mention that it's obvious that JT read this pregame and got pissed.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
even before this game, he was 2nd only to Ovie, in goals last year and this.

so to answer your question. ummmm no?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Nice demi-spin no-chemistry pass by Vanish to the No-Finisher who didn't put it in the goal and didn't get a hat trick tonight. I hope they both continue to not do this well.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I would have thought he would have mentioned me in the post game on ice interview. A simple thanks would have sufficed......

giddy up*

Over the past 2 years, only Ovechkin has scored more goals.

Hope he learns to finish

:laugh:

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Hey Bones - your timing is impeccable!

Can you put together a thread for Bailey not living up to his potential? Couldn't hurt :)!!!

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
even before this game, he was 2nd only to Ovie, in goals last year and this.

so to answer your question. ummmm no?

You might have missed my point. Had nothing to do with the amount of goals scored, rather the quality of chances that he doesn't put in, when in close.

Hey Bones - your timing is impeccable!

Can you put together a thread for Bailey not living up to his potential? Couldn't hurt :)!!!

Done! It doesn't have my passion, rather just a quick one to get the vibe out there.. Lets see how it goes!

scott99

May 13, 2005
Congrats on JT reaching 300 points ! In a tiny bit over 4 full seasons (328 games is 4 full seasons, he's played 334). His average stats 83.5 gp, 33g 42a 75pts. His last 3 years (so far) 173gp 79g 100a 179pts. He's done a lot with so little, and turned minor leaguers and busts into good players (Moulson, Parenteau and Okposo). Sure those guys have some talent, but JT has made them better players.

Also, JT has been on fire as of late. His last 5 games he has 7 goals 5 assists 12 points. Maybe he can pull off another Player of the Month award as well as help lead us back into playoff contention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad