JT - Finisher.......

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Ok.. so I'm not doing this to fire people up or bring hate. I don't think anyone who has been watching Isles games can diminish the role, importance, or abilities of John Tavares. As he goes, so does our team. We haven't seen a talent like him in a LOONNGGG time.

That being said, I bring you this thought.

I bring you this, just to plant the seed -- so you can watch for it the next couple of weeks. I noticed this a while ago, and wanted to make sure it wasn't a flukey thing or a funk.

John isn't quite the sniper/finisher/closer I thought he would be in the paint.

There. I said it. I feel better now. Don't get mad.

No.. I don't have videos, clips, or Youtube links. A perfect example was the other night against the Canes ( i think) where possibly Vanek slid one over and it was off his blade on a weird angle and he wasn't able to get it on net, or find the 24 sq feet of open net.

Seems like over the course of a couple weeks, I have found myself too often, saying "How did JT not bury that?". He gets some killer chances, and just hasn't been scoring on what I think should be almost gimmes for a player of his caliber.

Just was wondering if anyone else has been thinking similar thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I agree that he has not buried many chances or scored as much goals. But he is certainly capable because he was doing it last year. Also for as much as he does not "snipe" he has a pretty good goal total and is on pace to pot over 30. I always viewed him as more of a playmaker anyway which is why I think it's important to resign Vanek who is capable of finishing. Hopfully okposos keeps his touch up as well.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
Ok.. so I'm not doing this to fire people up or bring hate. I don't think anyone who has been watching Isles games can diminish the role, importance, or abilities of John Tavares. As he goes, so does our team. We haven't seen a talent like him in a LOONNGGG time.

I bring you this, just to plant the seed -- so you can watch for it the next couple of weeks. I noticed this a while ago, and wanted to make sure it wasn't a flukey thing or a funk.

No.. I don't have videos, clips, or Youtube links. A perfect example was the other night against the Canes ( i think) where possibly Vanek slid one over and it was off his blade on a weird angle and he wasn't able to get it on net, or find the 24 sq feet of open net.

Seems like over the course of a couple weeks, I have found myself too often, saying "How did JT not bury that?". He gets some killer chances, and just hasn't been scoring on what I think should be almost gimmes for a player of his caliber.

JT has not looked the same since he got banged up in the Tampa game. I think he is still playing hurt. That being said...he scored 28 goals in last years lockout season

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Edited the prefix. Rumors mean transaction rumors and such, and can freak out people when opening the thread (happened to me :laugh:).

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

I will stand with you facing the firing squad brother :laugh: but I have noticed that he is slightly less deadly this year too. The stats say he is producing but in watching every game, if it were anyone other than 91 I am sure more would be speaking up. Still our most productive and is irreplaceable and nobody is perfect (no matter what we think LOL)

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I will stand with you facing the firing squad brother

One of my all time favorite movies. Give yourself two points.

"Sams! Sams! come over here!!! If you wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and look like this slovenly, sloppy boy, find something else to put on!!!"

I made a similar post about DP years ago and got blasted into tomorrow for it -- even though I was correct.

This time, I worded things a little more PC.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
JT, in my opinion, is more of a playmaker. Although, as he showed last year, he's perfectly capable of scoring goals when he needs to play that role. He's a very versatile player, he can easily fit into the role of a playmaker or a scorer or even both, I think it depends on his linemates. Vanek and KO have been burying plenty of goals, so I think JT has been looking to pass more than shoot. Kind of unrelated but similar, but I've played on a Dek Hockey Rec League team for years and back when my team sucked, I was always our leading goal scorer and was pretty much relied on to bury the ball every game. However, we added some skilled players that could all score, and I've now become a playmaking machine because I have the skills to do so and am no longer relied on to score all the goals on our team. Of course I still score goals, but it's probably close to only 3/4 of what I used to score.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
JT, in my opinion, is more of a playmaker. Although, as he showed last year, he's perfectly capable of scoring goals when he needs to play that role. He's a very versatile player, he can easily fit into the role of a playmaker or a scorer or even both, I think it depends on his linemates. Vanek and KO have been burying plenty of goals, so I think JT has been looking to pass more than shoot. Kind of unrelated but similar, but I've played on a Dek Hockey Rec League team for years and back when my team sucked, I was always our leading goal scorer and was pretty much relied on to bury the ball every game. However, we added some skilled players that could all score, and I've now become a playmaking machine because I have the skills to do so and am no longer relied on to score all the goals on our team. Of course I still score goals, but it's probably close to only 3/4 of what I used to score.

I hope you wear #91 !! :handclap:

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
What a player we would have if JT was his exact self + Ovechkins ability to finish/shoot. But JT is more of a complete player than Ovechkin.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!

Just playing devils advocate here -- Ovi can skate well and can be a physical force --- neither of which are on JT's resume...

be careful on that one....

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I thought we were drafting something along the lines of Brenadan Shanahan without the grit. We got a whole lot more than that. He's a better playmaker than I ever would have imagined based on his scouting reports and his skating improved tremdously. I'll gladly take that over a more definitive goal scorer.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!

Just playing devils advocate here -- Ovi can skate well and can be a physical force --- neither of which are on JT's resume...

be careful on that one....

And Ovi doesn't rack up assists or score on ES! ;)

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
My guess is he accidently used one of Clutterbuck's sticks. Apparently you can't hit the broad side of a barn with those things.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Yeah, 3rd in goals last year with MM and Boyes, hmmmm.

That goal he didn't score was at his feet and he's a lefty. Butchie stated what happened clearly.

:shakehead

scott99

May 13, 2005
In juniors, Tavares was more of a sniper, but in 4 of his first 5 seasons in the NHL, he's been more of a playmaker. Last year, he was 3rd in goalscoring, and 30 something in assists. This year, he's 17th in goal scoring (not bad), but 7th in both assists and points. I remember Sydney's Kidney mentioning that the year before Tavares' draft year he was snake bitten goal wise, I think the same thing is happening this year, yet he's still being incredibly productive. I don't think he will ever be a Stamkos or Ovechkin goal wise, I think he will hit 40 goals eventually, BUT, if they resign Vanek, I can see him hitting 50 goals at least once.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
JT is similar to Crosby in the sense that both guys can score goals, and in their better seasons, challenge for 50+ and Rocket Richard trophies. But to consistently be among the goal scoring leaders will be tough because both guys lack that long range shot that will result in an extra 10 or so goals per season.

The wicked shot from outside of 30 feet is what separates guys like Ovechkin and Stamkos from guys like Crosby and Tavares. In close, JT and Sid are just as dangerous, if not more so. But they just don't have those long range bombs that account for around a dozen or so goals a year that Stamkos and Ovechkin score.

I think guys like Crosby and Tavares can score in the 30-40 goal range every year, largely because of just how talented they are and how good they are in close. But for guys like them, 50 goal seasons are likely only possible in those years where everything just seems to be going in, where their shooting percentages are considerably higher than their career averages.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
JT is similar to Crosby in the sense that both guys can score goals, and in their better seasons, challenge for 50+ and Rocket Richard trophies. But to consistently be among the goal scoring leaders will be tough because both guys lack that long range shot that will result in an extra 10 or so goals per season.

The wicked shot from outside of 30 feet is what separates guys like Ovechkin and Stamkos from guys like Crosby and Tavares. In close, JT and Sid are just as dangerous, if not more so. But they just don't have those long range bombs that account for around a dozen or so goals a year that Stamkos and Ovechkin score.

I think guys like Crosby and Tavares can score in the 30-40 goal range every year, largely because of just how talented they are and how good they are in close. But for guys like them, 50 goal seasons are likely only possible in those years where everything just seems to be going in, where their shooting percentages are considerably higher than their career averages.

I agree with this mostly. Last year though, JT was on pace for about 47 goals with lesser line mates by far. He saw the need to score with Moulson not potting as many as usual and Boyes only scoring 10.

John works on specific skills each off season. First it was power skating, recently his one timers and work behind the net. He adds these like tools on a Swiss army knife. If Vanek signs and Okposo continues to emerge, I can't put a ceiling on what John can do in the next few years...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad