Time for a bump.

6 points behind Crosby!
2 goals 4 assists behind Crosby!
JT you rock!
Keep it up

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm actually amazed at how much JT has improved this year. He just looks so much better and stronger out there. Better linemates certainly help, but it's more than that.

JT = Zdeno Chara work ethic/will to succeed + all-time level hockey sense and stick skills. Closing the gap on Crosby (but don't post that on the main board! :laugh:)

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I'm actually amazed at how much JT has improved this year. He just looks so much better and stronger out there. Better linemates certainly help, but it's more than that.

JT = Zdeno Chara work ethic/will to succeed + all-time level hockey sense and stick skills. Closing the gap on Crosby (but don't post that on the main board! :laugh:)

Not 30 days ago the exact opposite was being said in here, that he looked like he took a step backwards this year.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

He's far more consistent in his game, more balanced shooter vs passer and seems to really be clicking with his linemates. He makes so many great plays out there, little ones that go unnoticed and some amazing plays in the offensive zone. I know he's 6 behind Sid but I don't think we've seen the best from him just yet. I think he's got a lot more to go.

Wait until he goes on a hot streak. And I'm not kidding.

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp
I've said it since his rookie year, JT is more of a playmaker than goal scorer. Particularly below the dots. His vision and short passes are elite. End of discussion.

He'll get his goals from in tight as well.

scott99

May 13, 2005
It's come to the point now where I'm shocked if he DIDN'T score at least a point in a game.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Not 30 days ago the exact opposite was being said in here, that he looked like he took a step backwards this year.

well, thats because it did. he looked a bit slower and we all marveled at how mediocre he seemed to be playing but still racking up the points. and we said, imagine what would happen when he got going....well, he got going. to me, he seems much faster and more crisp the last 20 games, i think having TV has really helped him. he used to go crazy every time a penalty was called or something bad happened, but ever since TV remarked about it, he's toned it down and focused on the game. i think that line thinks they can score every shift....and.....they.....can. :yo:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It's come to the point now where I'm shocked if he DIDN'T score at least a point in a game.

Me too. His consistency has been excellent. We've seen him go through prolonged slumps in the past, glad to see that he's put that behind him. Having legitimate high end linemates definitely helps in that regard.

JT keeps chugging along and answering all the critics. I also get the feeling that he's far from done too, that thought gets me excited.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
He is great fun to watch -- and I can't remember saying that about too many players the Isles have had.. umm..EVER had....

then you put him next to Okposo -- who is playing equally as awesome and driven and you have some magic.

Amazing how the results come when you are driven and put forth effort!!!

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Not sure if this should go in this thread, but it involves JT and just popped in my head:

If Vanek walks and the Isles don't bring in a UFA to replace him, my gut feeling is that Bailey will get that spot(at least at first). IF that happens and IF Bailey has a bounce back much like Okposo is having this year, does that confirm that Tavares is indeed the God of all things hockey?

nyislesx23

Oct 4, 2008
Not sure if this should go in this thread, but it involves JT and just popped in my head:

If Vanek walks and the Isles don't bring in a UFA to replace him, my gut feeling is that Bailey will get that spot(at least at first). IF that happens and IF Bailey has a bounce back much like Okposo is having this year, does that confirm that Tavares is indeed the God of all things hockey?

If he somehow manages to allow Bailey to have a year like Okposo is having this year, then yes, John Tavares is indeed the God of all things hockey.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Bailey always plays well when he's paired with Tavares. He played well there last playoffs and during the pre-season. He also played well with Strome in the limited exposure they had together this season.

You could probably put CMac on JT's wing and he'd put up some pretty large numbers.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

And if Bailey doesnt produce?

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Bailey always plays well when he's paired with Tavares. He played well there last playoffs and during the pre-season. He also played well with Strome in the limited exposure they had together this season.

You could probably put CMac on JT's wing and he'd put up some pretty large numbers.

Which is why I think they would try him there to start the season. Especially considering he's always played his best hockey with Okposo. Seems like a perfect fit, especially with the contract he was just given, the Isles will want to see some results and it's almost a guarantee if you put him in that situation.

And if Bailey doesnt produce?

Then Bailey will probably get abused even worse than he does now. He'll officially be the first linemate Tavares has had(since he entered that 'elite' status, at least) that hasn't produced. Considering even Brad Boyes put up a 50+ point pace with Tavares, I'd be surprised if Bailey falls on his face.

In this scenario, my hope is that Bailey would realize the opportunity that awaits him during the offseason, and decide to take advantage of it much like Okposo did last summer. Spend at least a week or two training with JT and KO. Come to camp with a chip on your shoulder and attempt to prove the doubters wrong.

That said, I hope it's all moot, and Vanek is retained... obviously.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
I remember reading that article first time around, "Stepan is better than JT because he kills penalties" seemed to be the line if I remember correctly? Don't make anyone read it now! :yo:

Where is Stepan in league scoring by the way? Yes, joint 69th 35 points to JTs 64 points. Question is, would he still pick Stepan today?:sarcasm:

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
My favorite thing is to look back at is Kyle Woodliefs comments from the Red Line report. He said Tavares was the 3rd best prospect on the knights behind Kadri and Phil Varone :laugh:
He always had a lot of smack to talk about JT's ego and elitist attitude. Such nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad