JT Compher - strange season

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
As a guy who doesn't watch every Avalanche game I am hoping you fans can shine a light on what he is, or could turn into? Starts the season red hot; then misses 16 games with a head injury only to come back and start off right where he left off... Is he coming around to a top 6 legit scoring threat or just on a bizarre hot streak?

Much appreciated.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He’s a fantastic skater/motor, has a good shot, and is solid in his own end. I think a lot of us here kind of pictured him being a slightly better Grabner type of player with a super slim chance of being a top 6’er.

He definitely isn’t a PPG player and won’t end the season as one, but a high end 3rd liner is where he tops out imo.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
As a guy who doesn't watch every Avalanche game I am hoping you fans can shine a light on what he is, or could turn into? Starts the season red hot; then misses 16 games with a head injury only to come back and start off right where he left off... Is he coming around to a top 6 legit scoring threat or just on a bizarre hot streak?

Much appreciated.

Very difficult to tell really. His potential started out as a center version of Gallagher, but he didn't show as much attitude and agitation last year. He also kept ringing shots off the post, and just wide missing really great scoring chances he got himself in position for.

Before this we may have answered 3rd like RW. After his start and him seemingly dialing in his shot, and playing an agitating game. Well hes showing that 2nd line up side again. I think this season will answer that question.

25/30 is probably his high point for potential. 15/20 3rd line RW is probably the low point.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He’s a fantastic skater/motor, has a good shot, and is solid in his own end. I think a lot of us here kind of pictured him being a slightly better Grabner type of player with a super slim chance of being a top 6’er.

He definitely isn’t a PPG player and won’t end the season as one, but a high end 3rd liner is where he tops out imo.
Excuse me, but before the bottle kids were put together I was loudly calling for Jimmothy to be put on MacK's wing opposite Landy...

Reactions: Barklez

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Excuse me, but before the bottle kids were put together I was loudly calling for Jimmothy to be put on MacK's wing opposite Landy...

You have to admit, after last year the majority viewed him as a very good 3rd line RW or #3C. I was kind of hoping he'd starting stuffing the puck in the net and capitalizing on his chances better myself.

He was reminding me of McPing the way he was getting prime scoring chances and missing out. Like beat your head against the wall the kid could be a 30 goal scorer if he could just dial it in an inch lol.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You have to admit, after last year the majority viewed him as a very good 3rd line RW or #3C. I was kind of hoping he'd starting stuffing the puck in the net and capitalizing on his chances better myself.

He was reminding me of McPing the way he was getting prime scoring chances and missing out. Like beat your head against the wall the kid could be a 30 goal scorer if he could just dial it in an inch lol.

Much of this summer is a blurry haze...or maybe a hazy blur...but I'm pretty sure I was overly confident in Jost & Jimmothy's production taking a big step this season :laugh:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Much of this summer is a blurry haze...or maybe a hazy blur...but I'm pretty sure I was overly confident in Jost & Jimmothy's production taking a big step this season :laugh:

I think Leon and your other loves overshadow remembering your opinions on other topics lol.

Me, and maybe others remembering. Not you btw lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I’ve always thought he has a higher offensive potential than Jost going back even two years ago. I don’t get why people don’t see the offense in him. He has a great shot that’s also very deceptive. At the top end he could become a Tyler Johnson, minus Johnson’s crazy 72 point year.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think quite a few things derailed JTC's first season, he got injured...a lot. I think that made him quite gun shy and made him more passive, he still showed good things such as the ability to get himself free and a wonderful shot (that kept ringing pucks off posts). I think he's getting a bit of puckluck, but he is also much more engaged and aggressive thus far this season. I don't think he'll be a consistent offensive producer, but he'll be able to create chances and cause havoc.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Leon and your other loves overshadow remembering your opinions on other topics lol.

Me, and maybe others remembering. Not you btw lol.

lol fair enough. I remember being convinced that all Jost needed was another offseason of working on his body to breakout and post a 55pt season. But I don't remember if my love appreciation for Jimmothy had wavered.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’ve always thought he has a higher offensive potential than Jost going back even two years ago. I don’t get why people don’t see the offense in him. He has a great shot that’s also very deceptive. At the top end he could become a Tyler Johnson, minus Johnson’s crazy 72 point year.

Eh...his speed gives him a dynamic Jost doesn't have, but Jost has better hands & creativity.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Eh...his speed gives him a dynamic Jost doesn't have, but Jost has better hands & creativity.

Compher really showed some creativity in his last year in college. I do, and did wonder what might happen once JT got comfortable in the NHL. Compher kind of reminds me of a young Stepan type of player. Very blue collar in his approach to the game, but creative enough. It is going to be really interesting to see if he can produce at a top six level, or if this is just a hot streak.

I'm avoiding talking about Jost btw. I just don't know what to make of him or his potential.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
His speed obviously but I also think he has a definitive lead in the shooting category as well. Creativity, eh I don’t know maybe Jost, hands for sure go to Jost though. I do think if the draft position of the two were reversed the general opinion on the two would also show a great swing in Comphers favour. I just like what I see in him more personally. Of the four “tweeners” of Kamenev, Compher, Kerfoot, and Jost, Compher would be my guy if we could only pick one. It would actually be a good poll since I think everybody has their own guy they prefer and there’s no obvious answer, although I would guess Kerfoot would win. If Compher would accept it, I would sign him to the Jarnkrok contract since I really believe in him.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

I'll apologize in advance but sometimes I can't keep up with our new names for players. Who are the bottle kids (and why are they called that)?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The bottom 9 will always be a blender so I wouldn't worry about where players are at but he had a strong year last year but hit the post 5000 times. This year his luck has been a bit on the other end but not surprised to see him come out to a good start. Kid brings a ton of energy to the team

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
His speed obviously but I also think he has a definitive lead in the shooting category as well. Creativity, eh I don’t know maybe Jost, hands for sure go to Jost though. I do think if the draft position of the two were reversed the general opinion on the two would also show a great swing in Comphers favour. I just like what I see in him more personally. Of the four “tweeners” of Kamenev, Compher, Kerfoot, and Jost, Compher would be my guy if we could only pick one. It would actually be a good poll since I think everybody has their own guy they prefer and there’s no obvious answer, although I would guess Kerfoot would win. If Compher would accept it, I would sign him to the Jarnkrok contract since I really believe in him.
Easy now , Compher was stil in college at Jost's age . 3 years older makes a difference. Liking what Compher is doing though , hopefully Jost takes a jump soon

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I'll apologize in advance but sometimes I can't keep up with our new names for players. Who are the bottle kids (and why are they called that)?

"The bottle kids are a group of youths who wander around the trailer park and throw glass bottles at trailers, people, and other targets of their choice. ..."

Dunno why a few want to call our top line that, but I will not.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
"The bottle kids are a group of youths who wander around the trailer park and throw glass bottles at trailers, people, and other targets of their choice. ..."

Lmao, I never bother looking that up. I just figured it was one of those @cgf things you just let him go with. I wasn't going to use it, but it was easy enough to understand who he was talking about. I think hes the only one I've seen use it too lol. If there is others I missed it.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

Thanks BT. I'd have never guessed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad