JR reporting that the Blues will not name a C this season?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think since we are in a re-build, Thomas makes the most long term sense. But maybe giving the C to Parayko lights a fire under his ass. I’d be ok with either. I’ve always been a big Parayko fan.
You don’t give someone the ‘C’ simply to motivate them or light a fire under their ass. That would not end well.

It won't be, there is like 0.001% chance but I think it would be hilarious its Kyrou. The meltdowns on social media would provide hours of entertainment.
Would also provide hours of entertainment watching the Blues be the worst team in the league under his leadership.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Trade rumors among fanbases though, right? What legitimate source had Parayko in a trade rumor? I definitely may have missed it, though.
I’m not gonna go back and look, but fanbases don’t create rumors. There’s been plenty of chatter from national guys like Friedman and Dreger that Parayko’s name has been dangled over the years.

If the chances of Kyrou being captain are 0% (which they are), I’d go as far to say that the chances of Parayko being captain are no more than 1%. Armstrong would look like a joke for that and it’s not going to happen.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
That's what I am saying. I think this upcoming season is going to decide whether we continue to tweak or look to rebuild around Thomas/Kyrou and prospects already in the system and look to sell off veterans. Honestly I think our record come the new year will be the deciding factor on if Buchnevich signs an extension or the Blues start shopping him for a big return.

honestly, I’d be ok with moving Buch for the right return. A 1st and a top defensive prospect is my asking price.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I’d be floored if they named Parayko.

For how bad the defense was, it would be an awful look to name one of them captain. And no it’s not all his fault, but that would not go over well with the fanbase.

Only options are Schenn and Thomas, IMO. And I don’t even think Thomas is ready for it but maybe he could be in 2 years. I am a bit surprised they’re even naming one at all.

By that standard naming anyone from this team after last year would be a bad look.

Reactions: Blueston

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
No one thinks maybe Faulk?
Maybe if Thomas has a career ending golf-cart related accident, Schenn decides he is quitting hockey to become a Buddhist monk who lives in Nepal under the name of Brayden Zen, and Parayko tweets that he intends on signing with Chicago the moment he's a free agent, all between now and 11:30 AM tomorrow.

In all seriousness though, I don't see it. He's a veteran and he plays the right way, but if you're going for a player like that, it's Schenn.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I think it's going to be Parayko. Schenn is the obvious guy for his qualities right now. But the potential for the contract to go downhill and put the Blues in an awkward situation in a few years is one they will avoid. They love Parayko as a person, they are confident he will be a quality NHL defenseman for the duration of his contract, and he is the longest tenured Blue aside from Bortuzzo who isn't going to be captain. The Blues are in transition to a new quality team in the future at some point and Parayko will probably be part of it. Dark horse is Faulk

Reactions: STL fan in MN

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Going to guess Schenn or Thomas but I really wish they would wait this out and let someone naturally step up into the role. Preferably someone who is going to be a Blue long term. I dont see a real good fit right now basically because Thomas isnt there yet IMO.

I see pocketnines and others mentioning Parayko -- that would actually surprise me but I can kind of see it. Faulk makes zero sense. The dark horse for me is actually Buchnevich.

You know the Blues want it to be Thomas. Will they force it?

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
I hope it's Buch since that likely means he's extending to stay here, though I have no clue if he's even like, part of the team behind closes doors.

Thomas I think will likely be the choice. The team is clearly entering a new era and I don't think any of the Cup vets who are still around are strong enough players or at the right part of their career to lead that era.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I think it's going to be a promotional press conference to get fans butts in seats.

"When we looked at our organization and the players on the ice, we wanted to select a captain who exudes strength and perseverance. We wanted a captain who works hard and can be vocal when needed. With no further adieu, let us introduce the captain of the 2023-24 St. Louis Blues: YOU the fans!"

Just kidding. I think it's gotta be Thomas or Scheen, but part of me wants to see it be Parayko to watch the social media meltdown of Blues fans who think he's terrible.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Faulk makes zero sense.
Why don't you think Faulk would make sense?

He appears to be a very well liked guy in the room and wore a letter for 4 seasons in Carolina, which included a year as 'co-captain' where he wore the C for road games.

He leads all Blues in ice time since his arrival in St. Louis and has led the team in both total minutes and minutes per game in two of the last 3 seasons (2020/21 and 2022/23). I think Parayko is better and more important at 5 on 5 and on the PK, but Faulk contributes big minutes both on the PK and PP.

He has 4 more years left on his contract, he is frequently called on to do post-game media, and the marketing team clearly pushes him as one of the 'faces' of the team during their in-arena segments during commercial breaks. Look at the lineup of guys who will be at Blues and Brews this week: Binner, Schenn, Thomas, Parayko, Faulk, Hayes, and Berube. That's the new guy and the presumed leadership group. Faulk is included.

I expect it to be Schenn or Thomas, but I think Faulk is an obvious choice to belong in the next tier of possibilities.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
It is really hard to find past info/articles/posts on trade rumors, but my recollection of pretty much every Parayko rumor was national guys speculating rather than specifically hearing that Parayko was being shopped. I remember reports that the Blues discussed waiving NTCs with several veteran D at exit meetings (followed by speculation that Parayko would be a desired asset around the league). I remember reports that the Blues were shopping D with term at the deadline (followed by speculation about how much a playoff team would like a guy like Parayko).

But I don't recall any reports indicating that they heard Parayko was specifically being shopped. And since we have 5 non-rental veteran D men with trade protection under contract for this season, it isn't like those descriptors make it clear that Parayko has been discussed.

Maybe I'm wrong and simply don't remember some of the reporting, but that is my recollection of the Parayko rumors. Given the pretty recent 8 year commitment to him, his personal tie to the team's biggest 'superfan' and the fact that he's regularly worn an A for the team, I think that it is more likely that he is named captain than being seriously shopped for a trade. The organization clearly (and IMO correctly) values him much more highly than the fanbase does.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It is really hard to find past info/articles/posts on trade rumors, but my recollection of pretty much every Parayko rumor was national guys speculating rather than specifically hearing that Parayko was being shopped. I remember reports that the Blues discussed waiving NTCs with several veteran D at exit meetings (followed by speculation that Parayko would be a desired asset around the league). I remember reports that the Blues were shopping D with term at the deadline (followed by speculation about how much a playoff team would like a guy like Parayko).

But I don't recall any reports indicating that they heard Parayko was specifically being shopped. And since we have 5 non-rental veteran D men with trade protection under contract for this season, it isn't like those descriptors make it clear that Parayko has been discussed.

Maybe I'm wrong and simply don't remember some of the reporting, but that is my recollection of the Parayko rumors. Given the pretty recent 8 year commitment to him, his personal tie to the team's biggest 'superfan' and the fact that he's regularly worn an A for the team, I think that it is more likely that he is named captain than being seriously shopped for a trade. The organization clearly (and IMO correctly) values him much more highly than the fanbase does.
agreed. Lots of the speculation was guys like EF spitballing, with notion that teams like oilers would have interest in Parayko. But blues off the record response was always “if we trade him we dont have anyone to replace him”. I also recall Berube saying that Parayko is guy you would want your daughter to marry. I think club REALLY likes Parayko and he is highly respected for the person he is and role he plays (eating toughest minutes in league). Now I dint think he will be the choice for captain, but do think he will only be dealt for a haul at this point because of how valued he is by Army and Berube and front office.

Reactions: Xerloris

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

That’s my take as well.

Parayko hasn’t excelled since signing the big extension and isn’t a true #1 so is unsurprisingly not doing great playing #1 minutes but it’s clear the front office highly values him, significantly more than the fanbase as a whole. If the Blues truly want to retool and not rebuild, they wouldn’t consider trading Parayko. They need to add a #1, not make the current D even worse by trading away Parayko. If they’re going to trade a D, the obvious guy is Krug. It’s him or bust IMO. Unless some team out there is willing to trade the Blues a d-man better than Parayko for Parayko+, it makes no sense to trade him.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
JR this morning

baseball-fail.gif

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
JR has been so off lately it’s starting to look like he’s being purposely fed false info. He do something to piss off the front office or something?

Yea, abandoned journalistic integrity by contorting his body into the shape of a megaphone in front of Tarasenko's agent's mouth. Dude was wrong again and again and then did the Very Cool And Not Insecure At All thing of bickering with fans on social media who called him out on it. The Athletic doesn't require him to conform to any standards, so he follows the clicks.

Reactions: The Electrician

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
JR continues to lose what ever credibility he had left. I legit feel sorry for him as we continue to see he either has no sources in the Blues organization after leaving STL today, or they are feeding him lousy information as a payback for Tarasenko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad