Jozef Balej vs. Peter Sejna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Krushelnyski

Mar 9, 2004
They both seem fairly evenly matched, but who will become the better player both in the short and long term?

The Comparisons:

Balej - two years younger; two-inches taller; slated for the 2nd line RW position for the Rangers.
2003-04 Mtl/NYR NHL 17gp 1g 4a 5pts -1
2003-04 Ham/Hfd AHL 60gp 26g 36a 62pts +19

Sejna - 10 lbs heavier on a smaller frame (according to TSN profile); 02-03 Hobey Baker winner; slated for the 2nd line LW position for the Blues.
2003-04 St. Louis NHL 20gp 2g 2a 4pts -9
2003-04 Worcester AHL 59gp 12g 29a 41pts +8

Discuss. And thanks for all the insights :handclap:

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Jozef Balej vs. Peter Sejna. In both the short term and the long term I would take Jozef Balej, like you said he is 2 years younger and at this point about the same point in there development. If things go right he might put up big numbers with Jagr.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
I havent seen Sejna so take it for what its worth.

I keep hearing (various sources) this is the year Sejna will breakthrough. Last 2 years I drafted him in fantasy leagues (late rds) and nothing happened. Last year him and Weight went insane in preseason, best line in the league, but nothing happened again.

But looking at the stats look at the AHL numbers and the age difference I think its obviously Balej as the better player. Balej 21 more points in 1 more game and lead the league in scoring in the playoffs (untill Hartford got knocked out I believe). Balej is also tearing it up in preseason, 3 goals, 2 assists in 2 games. If I were a betting man I'd say hes going to score 90 if he plays 80 games. Not many players, even in the NHL have as much pure skill than Balej. If the NHL does ever 'open up' in some way, he could be a great player. But in todays NHL I think hell [hopefully] be a solid 2nd liner.

Last edited:

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Balej, he is just so damn talented. MTL will regret giving him up, but they have so many players like him.

Kasparov*

Balej EASILY.

I'm a MTL fan, i've seen him many times with Hamilton, this kid has major talent, hes in the same mold as a player like Havlat.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would say Balej since I've seen a lot of him, and was impressed with how well he played last season. He's got speed and more speed, with a rocket of a shot and some slick moves. After a tough rookie year in the AHL, he was Hamilton's top player until traded, lots of fun to watch him play.

degroat*

I'm not saying it's one way or the other, but a lot of people are overlooking Sejna here. Don't read into his stats from last year too much because they don't tell the entire story. After he didn't adjust to the NHL fast enough and was sent down the AHL, he was very discouraged and his production for his first 20 games or so in the AHL was poor. After he got over it, his production was just fine.

Let's also not forget this was Sejna's first year in the AHL and last year was Balej's 2nd. When you compare their first years, Sejna was considerably better with 41 points in 59 games compared to just 20 points in 56 games for Balej.

I like what Balej brings to the table and he might be better now and in the future, but it's far from 'Balej EASILY'.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Stich said:
Let's also not forget this was Sejna's first year in the AHL and last year was Balej's 2nd.

Sejna is 3 years older.

When you compare their first years, Sejna was considerably better with 41 points in 59 games compared to just 20 points in 56 games for Balej.

Balej was hurt his entrie rookie AHL year. So Balej had considerably better numbers 3 years behind him.

Kasparov*

Stich said:
I'm not saying it's one way or the other, but a lot of people are overlooking Sejna here. Don't read into his stats from last year too much because they don't tell the entire story. After he didn't adjust to the NHL fast enough and was sent down the AHL, he was very discouraged and his production for his first 20 games or so in the AHL was poor. After he got over it, his production was just fine.

Let's also not forget this was Sejna's first year in the AHL and last year was Balej's 2nd. When you compare their first years, Sejna was considerably better with 41 points in 59 games compared to just 20 points in 56 games for Balej.

I like what Balej brings to the table and he might be better now and in the future, but it's far from 'Balej EASILY'.

Sorry, its no contest, Balej has more skill and potenial than Sejna. Im sorry :(

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
NYRangers said:
Balej was hurt his entrie rookie AHL year. So Balej had considerably better numbers 3 years behind him.

Balej got injured in preseason, he didn't miss that much time, but when he was back from injury, he had a hard time getting ice time on what was likely the deepest team in the AHL (although they didn't win the Calder they came within one game of winning it, and imo they were the deeper team having Montreal and Edmonton prospects) An example of how hard it was to get ice time, was one game in the playoffs, Balej was finally put in the lineup, he ends up scoring a goal on a wicked shot, then gets benched the next game.

Balej likely would have had better numbers, but the ice time just wasn't there. Being a RW with AHL MVP Jason Ward and should have been playoff AHL MVP Michael Ryder both RW's not to mention the Oilers prospects, there wasn't much room for Balej. I'm not saying he played great, cause he didn't. He was getting pushed off the puck too easily, taking plays too deep cutting off his passing lanes, teleagraphing his shots and not strong in the defensive zone. The next year he was one of the first cuts at the Habs camp, which came as a big surprise, but it must have pissed him off, cause he went to Hamilton and lit up the scoreboard the whole time he was there.

degroat*

NYRangers said:
Sejna is 3 years older.

So because Sejna is older he should have been able to adjust to the AHL faster than Balej? Doesn't make much sense now does it?

Regardless of a players age, it's going to take them some time to adjust to the speed and size of players at a higher level than they're used to. Sejna adjusted to the AHL faster than Balej did. That cannot be debated.

Kasparov said:
Sorry, its no contest

Because you said so? :joker:

A year ago when this board was all about Sejna and Balej was coming off a bad year in the AHL, it would have been 'Sejna EASILY'.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Stich said:
So because Sejna is older he should have been able to adjust to the AHL faster than Balej? Doesn't make much sense now does it?

Yes, it does because it shows Balej is way ahead of him in developing. Hes way ahead of him in terms of his pts in the same league yet hes 3 years younger.

slimer

Jul 8, 2003
Friday, Oct. 22 the Wolfpack plays the Icecats. I would be interested in reading someones review of these two players after this game. From what I've heard about how Sejna has looked this year, I wouldn't be surprised if opinions change after watching them in the same game.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
slimer said:
Friday, Oct. 22 the Wolfpack plays the Icecats. I would be interested in reading someones review of these two players after this game. From what I've heard about how Sejna has looked this year, I wouldn't be surprised if opinions change after watching them in the same game.

I might be able to watch it. Some AHL games are being viewed in NY. IM not sure if that one is. Regardless. You can just look at one game.

degroat*

NYRangers said:
Yes, it does because it shows Balej is way ahead of him in developing. Hes way ahead of him in terms of his pts in the same league yet hes 3 years younger.

How exactly is Balej, who is projected to play with the Rangers on the 2nd line when the season starts and has played 17 games in the NHL "way ahead of [Sejna] in developing" when Sejna is also projected to play on the 2nd line in the NHL this season and has 21 games on his NHL resume. Just to save you some time, they both have 5 points in their short NHL careers.

Everyone knows you can't compare the development paths of NCAA players to players out of other leagues. Agewise they always appear to be behind because NCAA players often value their education and want to finish should before taking the next step.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Sejna also wasn't playing on a very deep farm team. He was a high profile college kid who was slated for first or second line in the minors. It's not like he didn't have a spot, like Balej who had to play his ass off just to get SOME 3rd/4th line ice time.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Stich said:
How exactly is Balej, who is projected to play with the Rangers on the 2nd line when the season starts and has played 17 games in the NHL "way ahead of [Sejna] in developing" ?

How many times can I say it? He made it to the AHL earlier than Sejna, yet hes 3 years younger. He outscored Sejna in the Same league too.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
To make it simpler.

If Balej played 80 games this season like expected, then the next 2 seasons he would have played nearly 260 games and be 25 years old. Sejna has played 20 games and is 25.

degroat*

Unless we're talking about who is going to be the better player when Sejna is 37 and Balej is 34 then their ages are irrlevent. 100% completely meaningless. At this point in time on October 11, 2004 they are at the same stage in the development. They're both right on the brink of becoming regulars on scoring lines in the NHL.

You entire argument has nothing to do with their actual abilities. All you've added to this thread is "Because Balej has scored X points at a younger age then he must have the better future". That's utterly ridiculous.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Stich said:
Unless we're talking about who is going to be the better player when Sejna is 37 and Balej is 34 then their ages are irrlevent. 100% completely meaningless. At this point in time on October 11, 2004 they are at the same stage in the development. They're both right on the brink of becoming regulars on scoring lines in the NHL.

You entire argument has nothing to do with their actual abilities. All you've added to this thread is "Because Balej has scored X points at a younger age then he must have the better future". That's utterly ridiculous.

At a young age it does matter, then why would people include Malkin is a year younger in the Malkin v Ovechkin debate? Because at a young ages, players can improve a lot. A player that is 22 can improve a tremendous more amount than a player that is 25.

If I came out and just said Balej has great skills and there not in the same class as Sejnas then I'd be called a homer. So Iim going with Factual info.

degroat*

NYRangers said:
At a young age it does matter, then why would people include Malkin is a year younger in the Malkin v Ovechkin debate? Because at a young ages, players can improve a lot. A player that is 22 can improve a tremendous more amount than a player that is 25.

How can you continue to ignore the fact that the difference in age is attributable to the fact that they took different development paths? Sejna is older because he went to college for 4 years. Not because he needed to stay at a lower level longer. End of story.

If I came out and just said Balej has great skills and there not in the same class as Sejnas then I'd be called a homer. So Iim going with Factual info.

Unfortunately for you, it's still making you look like a homer.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Stich said:
Unfortunately for you, it's still making you look like a homer.

Yes, becuase Im a Ranger fan presenting facts and your a blues fan defending your player because nobody voted for him.

Im done with this, sorry for making this thread sour enough.

modestfwd

May 17, 2004
Ok, Stich, here is an easy way to look at what they are saying.

Look at Senja. I would say that at age 25 he has hit maybe 80% of his potential.
Now Balej has hit the same level (80%) but at age 22.

At around Senja's age, most people would agree that the prospect takes longer to develop than someone at Balej's age. Therefore, when he hits his prime, I figure Senja will have reached 85% of his potential, maybe 90%.

But now Balej has 3 more years of development until he reaches that stage where he develops at a much slower pace. So I figure that when Balej hits his prime, he will have reached 90%-100% of his potential.

Under those circumstances, Balej will be the better player. However, there are so many variables you have to take into account that this isn't anywhere near exact. Some players develop much later, others much earlier. So Balej could also stop his development and right now he would be in his prime, while Senja is a late bloomer and turns out better.

BUT, the first senario is more common and I think Balej is better and will be better than Senja.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad