Joshua Ho-Sang, Center/Right-wing, 1st Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
His roommate tried to wake him up but could not.

Team officials had to go get him out of bed.

Art Staple reported both of those items today on twitter. So, I'm not sure I'd classify them as rumours. Stape is usually bang on. He wasn't speculating. It was an actual report.

Thanks for clearing up where you got your info.
As I said, I was not trying to call you out.
But, I have seen posts suggesting a sleep disorder /video gaming addiction/mental health issue/hung over.

Many possible reasons for his oversleeping, but few links to credible sources supporting the speculation.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Thanks for clearing up where you got your info.
As I said, I was not trying to call you out.
But, I have seen posts suggesting a sleep disorder /video gaming addiction/mental health issue/hung over.

Many possible reasons for his oversleeping, but few links to credible sources supporting the speculation.

Yup, no worries man.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Ok let me get this straight....

He was still in bed when team officials went to check on him. They had to wake him up after his roommate had earlier tried 'everything in his power' to get him outta bed.

So to me, it seems...

A) We have another Ryan Pilon on our hands. He just doesn't care about hockey.

Or

(Speculation with no link, Mod Edit)

Either way...we're screwed. I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict he's lost the passion to play & eventually quits the sport altogether.

Hmm, the additional information changes this quite a bit. If he was passed out drunk, which is about the only explanation possible if they were trying to wake him up (being loud, moving him, etc) then this is all on him. It would also mean he is really stupid, because getting that pissed the night prior to this would be quite the fail. It would also explain Snow throwing him under the media bus. He is lucky they didn't flat out release him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Hmm, the additional information changes this quite a bit. If he was passed out drunk, which is about the only explanation possible if they were trying to wake him up (being loud, moving him, etc) then this is all on him. It would also mean he is really stupid, because getting that pissed the night prior to this would be quite the fail. It would also explain Snow throwing him under the media bus. He is lucky they didn't flat out release him.

If i were to bet....I say he smoked himself stupid the night before and fell asleep at 5am playing video games and eating pizza.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC

It's one thing to miss the bus and show up five minutes late at IceWorks in a cab or an Uber. It's another thing to shrug off your roomie shaking you to get ready, and his roommate was probably horrified to show up without him.

In wonder how many times he vomited running the steps at the Coliseum.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
He should have pretended he was deathly sick, not answered his door at all forcing them to break in and then only woken up after he was violently shaken. You never know, they may have bought it.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
CPTdIuZUwAELyaf.jpg

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ahhh...to be 19 and self entitled. Look...he didnt drown puppies for fun here. He was late...unbelievably, stupidly, horrendously, ridiculously late. It's a terrible thing BUT it's something that HAS happened to EVERYONE here at some point in their lives. This situation reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

If you meet with triumph and disaster, treat those two impostors the same.

Ok Josh, the next chapter is for you to write. How does this story end? How do YOU want it to end?

Just lurking this thread....I have to say, that is freaking amazing quote.

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY
Eh, I don't know how heavy you sleep, but when someone physically tries to wake me up...especially when it's for something important...dumbass or no dumbass....I get up lol

Facepalm it all you want, but after reading what Stape tweeted today, he definitely smoked up a storm the night before lol book it lol
I mean even then he should still be able to wake up...

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
It wasn't just that he was late to practice, inferring an attempt.

He never showed up at Iceworks, even after being forcibly roused (ice water over head?).

All of us have pulled all-nighters or been in very heavy REM sleep. When woken with jostling or shoving around, we wake up and as groggy as we may be, it only takes a few seconds and cold water on the face to come around, maybe a cup of coffee or a Red Bull.
Ho Sang just decided he did not want to go to practice that day and faked it, or he was under some other influence of outside agency.....cold remedy:naughty:
With his history of defiance to authority, self stated, and already having been punished for something else by having to run stadiums, there is no way to defend him.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Eh, I don't know how heavy you sleep, but when someone physically tries to wake me up...especially when it's for something important...dumbass or no dumbass....I get up lol

Facepalm it all you want, but after reading what Stape tweeted today, he definitely smoked up a storm the night before lol book it lol

"Couldn't wake up" and "didn't bother to wake up" are two different things. Someone banging on a closed door trying to rouse someone up wouldn't be able to tell the difference if the person was unresponsive. And there's been nothing specific published/posted as to exactly how his roommates tried to wake him.

Some of you are blowing this whole thing WAY out of proportion, to the point where it's becoming libelous. I'm all for the punishment handed down by management for his stupidity, but it's completely unfair to suggest that this kid has a substance problem.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I can't believe people are that daft enough to not believe that there are actually some people on this earth that sleep very deeply. My father has actually only stirred some times after several times my mom has had to dump cold water on his head. He's gone back to sleep in the puddle. No, my father has no mental health issues, no substance abuse issues, dude just sleeps like a bear during winter.

I don't know if this is what happened to Ho-Sang or not, and i'm not sticking up for the kid either. Just can't believe the ignorance of some people who can't imagine things that are real because they've "never seen it before".

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I bet this is how it happened...

Ho-Sang's roommate woke Ho-Sang up and told me he was going downstairs to eat and then leave and Ho-Sang fell asleep after his roommate left.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I can't believe people are that daft enough to not believe that there are actually some people on this earth that sleep very deeply. My father has actually only stirred some times after several times my mom has had to dump cold water on his head. He's gone back to sleep in the puddle. No, my father has no mental health issues, no substance abuse issues, dude just sleeps like a bear during winter.

I don't know if this is what happened to Ho-Sang or not, and i'm not sticking up for the kid either. Just can't believe the ignorance of some people who can't imagine things that are real because they've "never seen it before".

Ya maybe ur right. Maybe he's just a deep sleeper. Sure. (Rolls eyes)

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002

i agree with this statement completely and have thought about posting something very similar. people don't understand what they haven't experienced. and if they have experienced something like it, they think every single person reacts the same which just isn't true. "i've had a sleep disorder and i've been able to wake up." or, "i've fought through mental health issues and i've been able to wake up." blah, blah, blah.

that said, here's a couple of things i've thought about which prevented me from posting what you did: (1) wouldn't his junior coach know of any sleep condition like that? if so, would he not have made mention of that in the news article from the other day? instead, williamson basically said that the kid screwed up, not that he has an issue with a sleep condition. (2) if he did have a sleep condition, why would he not have had one of his folks with him at the camp to ensure that something like sleeping in wouldn't happen? (3) would garth snow have publicly shamed the lad if there was some sleep disorder issue?

again, i agree completely that morons around the world don't grasp what they haven't experienced. but there are a few things about how it all went down that i don't understand if the kid simply did have a sleeping issue of some sorts.

Last edited:

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
sounds to me like he's just a punk kid who never thought for a second that showing up late would get him anything more than a slap on the wrist by the team. He probably thinks that a separate set of rules apply to him because he has all of this talent.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I believe:

If he gotten high or drunk I don't think they would have sent him to the OHL, they would have addressed the substance problem through whatever NHL/OHL programs exists..

And Garth's comment wouldn't have been GROW UP it woulda been citing privacy, if not all-out silence..

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Don't speculate until you have all the facts and I am not excusing his behaviors and I do believe that you can work around that. Nothing works more than fear and that the harsh treatment may have him more dialed in.

When I was around his age, I used to have trouble going to bed on time and I never drinks, smoke or even party. I just had too much on my mind, too hyped and can't sleep early on time. Once I start working, the fear of losing my job fixed that quickly.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Let's watch the speculation and libel!!

ALL speculation must be sourced with links. Any further postings without, will be deleted and infracted.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
If i were to bet....I say he smoked himself stupid the night before and fell asleep at 5am playing video games and eating pizza.

It's one thing to miss the bus and show up five minutes late at IceWorks in a cab or an Uber. It's another thing to shrug off your roomie shaking you to get ready, and his roommate was probably horrified to show up without him.

In wonder how many times he vomited running the steps at the Coliseum.

This whole thread is jumping to ridiculous conclusions

Bunk, see above. Idle speculation or not, when the GM of the club flat out rolls the kid under the bus what's that tell you? I see quite a few people using the word "IF." That means what it means. No one is saying with 100% certainty because none of us were there and rumors are just rumors. But if all is fine in prospect-land then he isn't going back home pronto and Snow isn't sending him into the media meat grinder.

Whatever got him to this point, I hope he uses it to make the next step in his maturity, prove the naysayers wrong, and kick ass in the NHL one day. Who in here doesn't? Not one, but this isn't exactly the start of that pupa to butterfly stages we were all wishing for either. The last guy who garnered any attention like this was Nino. The last prospect before him was.... who? There's a fair reason to be concerned. Just saying.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Bunk, see above. Idle speculation or not, when the GM of the club flat out rolls the kid under the bus what's that tell you? I see quite a few people using the word "IF." That means what it means. No one is saying with 100% certainty because none of us were there and rumors are just rumors. But if all is fine in prospect-land then he isn't going back home pronto and Snow isn't sending him into the media meat grinder.

Whatever got him to this point, I hope he uses it to make the next step in his maturity, prove the naysayers wrong, and kick ass in the NHL one day. Who in here doesn't? Not one, but this isn't exactly the start of that pupa to butterfly stages we were all wishing for either. The last guy who garnered any attention like this was Nino. The last prospect before him was.... who? There's a fair reason to be concerned. Just saying.

Isn't it coming out that he's had issues with the Isles in the past? We haven't heard about those because the team kept everything behind closed doors. That clearly hasn't worked, so they changed their tactics. Maybe embarrassing him publicly will get him to shape up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad