Value of: Josh Norris

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
If karlsson leaves after a year how can this be a bad haul?. Norris balcers 1 st round pick second round pick Tierney plus whatever else. Also if karlsson has lingering foot issues excellent sell on a stock that maybe going down. San Jose has to win the cup good luck going through preds jets knights kings ducks and whoever else I'm missing.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
If karlsson leaves after a year how can this be a bad haul?. Norris balcers 1 st round pick second round pick Tierney plus whatever else. Also if karlsson has lingering foot issues excellent sell on a stock that maybe going down. San Jose has to win the cup good luck going through preds jets knights kings ducks and whoever else I'm missing.

I’ve watched quite a bit of Norris, im not convinced he will become anything special in the nhl.

Balcers seems like he might become a decent middle six winger in the least valuable position in hockey.

Tierney likely is at his ceiling as a 3rd line centre.

Demelo is nice but won’t be more than a third pairing guy.

A first round pick as late into the first round turns into an impact player roughly a quarter of the time.

Erik Karlsson is an elite player.

San Jose had far better prospects than the ones they gave up. They used their excess to acquire what could be a difference maker and the guy who almost single handed lay hauled a weak Ottawa team to within 1 goal of a Stanley cup final. San Jose might just have gotten what they needed to win a cup without sacrificing much, they broke the rule that if you want to acquire an asset then you need to sacrifice an equal asset at minimum.

If a team like Pittsburg got what Ottawa did for a player, we would be like “oh cool, depth. That team is better”. When Ottawa got that we knew that they didn’t acquire a single piece they could build around.

Ottawa doesn’t have a good prospect pool. The goal in trading Karlsson was to build something for the future. You can’t build a team around the 3rd liners they got. Look at the Patches trade, it was built around one prospect that has a chance (though small) of being a first line player. Ottawa failed at that.

Even if Karlsson walks, San Jose swing at the cup. Ottawa’s swing was to try to get something they could use to swing at it in 5 years and they didn’t.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
As part of a package with other prospects yes. But I'm not sure why Ottawa would now try to trade him on his own. Doesn't hold much value alone.
Am not suggesting trading him I'd just like to know peoples opinion about him and value individually, it's not a rumor or speculation tagged thread, just strictly the value of a single player or in this case, three different players.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I’ve watched quite a bit of Norris, im not convinced he will become anything special in the nhl.

Balcers seems like he might become a decent middle six winger in the least valuable position in hockey.

A first round pick as late into the first round turns into an impact player roughly a quarter of the time.

San Jose had far better prospects than the ones they gave up. They used their excess to acquire what could be a difference maker and the guy who almost single handed lay hauled a weak Ottawa team to within 1 goal of a Stanley cup final. San Jose might just have gotten what they needed to win a cup without sacrificing much, they broke the rule that if you want to acquire an asset then you need to sacrifice an equal asset at minimum.

If a team like Pittsburg got what Ottawa did for a player, we would be like “oh cool, depth. That team is better”. When Ottawa got that we knew that they didn’t acquire a single piece they could build around.

Ottawa doesn’t have a good prospect pool. The goal in trading Karlsson was to build something for the future. You can’t build a team around the 3rd liners they got. Look at the Patches trade, it was built around one prospect that has a chance (though small) of being a first line player. Ottawa failed at that.

Even if Karlsson walks, San Jose swing at the cup. Ottawa’s swing was to try to get something they could use to swing at it in 5 years and they didn’t.

At this point I think we've established one thing: elite prospects don't get moved for elite UFAs, not even for Erik Karlsson. Sergachev or Foote weren't moved for McDonagh, most likely not even for Karlsson. Heiskanen was off the table for Karlsson. Cody Glass was the walk away point for Vegas and that was Karlsson for potentially two playoff runs. I think if the Sens asked for Meier, there would be no deal. In the end, the Sens had to just settle for the next best option: get as many assets as you can, even though they're not elite ones. Depth is important too, you'll get your elite prospects from the draft if you suck hard enough and the Sens will do.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn't value him at much more than a 2nd, because that is around where I valued him at his draft date, and I don't think he's done much to change anyone's opinion since his draft date. If you liked him then, you like him now, if you didn't, you don't now. I get that there are people who value him much higher and value him as a top 15 guy. Which is why, if I somehow ran a hockey-ops department, I would never acquire him.

I don't think he's a worthy 1st or 2nd piece for EK. But, by all indications, the market collapsed on them due to mismanagement and the market now being bearish on UFA's.

Feb 24, 2017
It wasn't long ago that Montreal was the dumpster fire laughingstock.

Get off that high horse. Your team isn't good either.
And before that your devils were trash

And my Canucks currently blow

So what?

Every team goes through bad times

Ps- my fave player ever is Scott Stevens so I’m not trashing the devils

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why would the Senators trade him? He's one of their better prospects at this point, especially with them trading a bunch of good prospects and picks in recent years (Bowers, Dahlen, their 2019 1st, ect).

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills

People will have their opinions. There is no way at this point in time to declare winners and losers with this trade.
There is a good chance that Karlsson will not sign with SJ and will move to his final destination for next season.
He was a goner from Ottawa ( most likely due to ownership ) and that knowledge coupled with his apparent desire to sign long term with maybe a couple of teams severely hampered a return for the Senators. They got what they could and it's a far cry better than what happened on Long Island.
If it becomes clear that Karlsson is not going to sign in San Jose what do they do at the trade deadline? Do they keep him for the PO's or trade him for a luke warm return? I don't see a clear winner here ... unless San Jose keeps Karlsson ( for this entire year ) and wins the cup.
Ottawa gets some depth but in all honesty Ottawa's only hope is for Melnyk to sell the team to a more intelligent ownership group.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Norris to Brady scores could be a ongoing theme in Ottawa in the next few years. It may be not a bad trade as people think here. If I don't see san Jose winning the cup this year it will look even better.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
And before that your devils were trash

And my Canucks currently blow

So what?

Every team goes through bad times

Ps- my fave player ever is Scott Stevens so I’m not trashing the devils

He wasn't laughing at the misfortune of a fanbase though...that was kinda the point. Karma's a bitch so while you're sitting back and laughing at the misery of Sens fans(like a couple of barbarians), just know that said misery is coming for your team....it's just science.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
At this point I think we've established one thing: elite prospects don't get moved for elite UFAs, not even for Erik Karlsson. Sergachev or Foote weren't moved for McDonagh, most likely not even for Karlsson. Heiskanen was off the table for Karlsson. Cody Glass was the walk away point for Vegas and that was Karlsson for potentially two playoff runs. I think if the Sens asked for Meier, there would be no deal. In the end, the Sens had to just settle for the next best option: get as many assets as you can, even though they're not elite ones. Depth is important too, you'll get your elite prospects from the draft if you suck hard enough and the Sens will do.

If I were Vegas and was asked to give up Nick Suzuki for Norris, Balcers, Tiernay, and De Melo... my answer would be no. Suzuki isn’t an elite prospect but he’s not far from it. Suzuki is a player that can a piece you can build around and none of the others in the trade can be said the same of.

Karlsson should have been more valuable than patches. You should have at least gotten something to build around. Patches value was far lower as he is a left winger and had comparables (Skinner) on the market same time. Karlsson puts up more points than Patches despite being a blueliner. If Karlsson retains at least part of his position by per game form, San Jose is a serious threat.

The fact none of these prospects project to even be difference makers is a disappointment. You find depth pieces really easily, you need EK to find cornerstones.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Why would the Senators trade him? He's one of their better prospects at this point, especially with them trading a bunch of good prospects and picks in recent years (Bowers, Dahlen, their 2019 1st, ect).

I'd say he's below White, Tkachuk, Batherson, Formenton, Chlapik, Brown and Docker.

Reactions: BabyPanda

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad