Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I heard something interesting yesterday. Apparently there was discussion between the team and Norris right at the start of camp about having another surgery because there was still some instability. Apparently neither the team or player (and entourage) were surprised the shoulder gave and they expect that it will be fine after getting post surgery reports. That would explain the way the situation was handled at camp.
He was probably hoping he could get through the season so he could have offseason surgery to clean it up... Really feel bad for him, hopefully he can get back to his normal self after this surgery.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
I heard something interesting yesterday. Apparently there was discussion between the team and Norris right at the start of camp about having another surgery because there was still some instability. Apparently neither the team or player (and entourage) were surprised the shoulder gave and they expect that it will be fine after getting post surgery reports. That would explain the way the situation was handled at camp.
How does this happen, was the surgeon Dr. Nick or something?

• Haha
Reactions: SensFan1010

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
So hopefully that means the shoulder wasn't as damaged as it looked and the surgery he went under was surgery he was gonna have to do anyway. That could be fairly encouraging.

any news about whether they expect him back for camp?

Reactions: DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
A fully healed Norris would be a big boost to this team

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
From what I understand it will never be the same and it was as healed as its gonna get. It's him having to get used to it. At this point I'd be shocked if he ever plays to his previous potential. There's going to be constant pain.
that's kind of different from the surgeon's words a few weeks back. That surgeon went on and on about all the athletes he's fixed up and never had a guy come back for seconds.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
that's kind of different from the surgeon's words a few weeks back. That surgeon went on and on about all the athletes he's fixed up and never had a guy come back for seconds.
Just going from what the team Dr said. Maybe this new surgeon is better than the previous few. Who knows medicine is always advancing.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
From what I understand it will never be the same and it was as healed as it’s gonna get. It's him having to get used to it. At this point I'd be shocked if he ever plays to his previous potential. There's going to be constant pain.
@GCK whats your response.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
From what I understand it will never be the same and it was as healed as its gonna get. It's him having to get used to it. At this point I'd be shocked if he ever plays to his previous potential. There's going to be constant pain.
Pain and fear/hesitation I’m guessing. Not a good situation.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
@GCK whats your response.
Obviously they are going to be optimistic but who knows what the outcome will be. I was simply passing on that they considered going back into the shoulder as camp started but decided not to. Apparently the fact that he blew it again didn’t come as a shock to anyone.

I have zero idea how likely he is to be ready for camp, how much lingering pain he will have or how his play will be when he gets back.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Obviously they are going to be optimistic but who knows what the outcome will be. I was simply passing on that they considered going back into the shoulder as camp started but decided not to. Apparently the fact that he blew it again didn’t come as a shock to anyone.

I have zero idea how likely he is to be ready for camp, how much lingering pain he will have or how his play will be when he gets back.
Seems very dumb not to get the surgery. Like why would they all look at it and say “yeah that’s not gonna hold” and then not get at least this time he went to the Michael Jordan of shoulder surgeries

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Seems very dumb not to get the surgery. Like why would they all look at it and say “yeah that’s not gonna hold” and then not get at least this time he went to the Michael Jordan of shoulder surgeries
Missing a year is tough, especially when most of it is spent recovering from surgery. If he was on pain pills, you wanna spread that out as much as possible too.

So long as the new injury didn't make things worse, I think it was a fine gamble to take.

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He has now missed something like half of the possible games over the last 3 seasons and had multiple shoulder issues dating back to College hockey.

I think it's best to assume he will either be LTIRetired or not the star he looked like previously when he paced for 40+ goals, and be pleasantly surprised if he mounts an amazing comeback.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Given Giroux could retire at some point soon & with the emergence of Pinto in the top six, keeping Norris a top six forward around should be beneficial.

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
So what’s the plan with this injury prone softie? I say we package him up with assets and unload him.
No one is touching an 8 million dollar player with 3 surgeries on the same shoulder before 25 years old. As Yorkie said on CIH the other day, the best and only option for all parties involved is that he is healthy for camp and has a healthy bounceback year.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Has it ever been reported if his shoulder was a pre-existing condition (he had injuries dating back to College), or if his contract is insured?

Is he expected to be cleared by August?

I'm not saying he will be bought out, but if the Senators go to arbitration with one player, they could get a buyout window late July or early August depending on the arbitration case date.

No one is touching an 8 million dollar player with 3 surgeries on the same shoulder before 25 years old. As Yorkie said on CIH the other day, the best and only option for all parties involved is that he is healthy for camp and has a healthy bounceback year.

The only possible trade I could see would be Norris for Dubois.

That would be a Clarkson for Horton perfect storm type situation. Dubois is a bust in LA, and they have him signed for many years at big money with some signing bonuses that are buyout proof. His NMC kicks in July 1st, so they don't have the luxury of seeing if he can work out after another year.

Add in the DJ Smith connection and maybe playing 5D chess by hoping that Smith+Norris might make LAK a desirable spot for Tkachuk if he asks out in 2025 (assuming the Sens stink again).

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Has it ever been reported if his shoulder was a pre-existing condition (he had injuries dating back to College), or if his contract is insured?

Is he expected to be cleared by August?

I'm not saying he will be bought out, but if the Senators go to arbitration with one player, they could get a buyout window late July or early August depending on the arbitration case date.

The only possible trade I could see would be Norris for Dubois.

That would be a Clarkson for Horton perfect storm type situation. Dubois is a bust in LA, and they have him signed for many years at big money with some signing bonuses that are buyout proof. His NMC kicks in July 1st, so they don't have the luxury of seeing if he can work out after another year.

Add in the DJ Smith connection and maybe playing 5D chess by hoping that Smith+Norris might make LAK a desirable spot for Tkachuk if he asks out in 2025 (assuming the Sens stink again).
You really should stop pedaling Norris for Dubois.

Norris has been hurt. He had surgery. Another surgery. This new surgeon appears to have a long list of success with athletes, including athletes that had surgery elsewhere

Dubois just flat out was terrible and looked uninterested most of the year. And that's after engineering trades out of two markets.

Norris most likely either returns to health or he LTIRs. Even in a year where he struggled with his shoulder he vastly outperformed PLD's 40 points in 82 games.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
You really should stop pedaling Norris for Dubois.

Norris has been hurt. He had surgery. Another surgery. This new surgeon appears to have a long list of success with athletes, including athletes that had surgery elsewhere

Dubois just flat out was terrible and looked uninterested most of the year. And that's after engineering trades out of two markets.

Norris most likely either returns to health or he LTIRs. Even in a year where he struggled with his shoulder he vastly outperformed PLD's 40 points in 82 games.

I wouldn't do it.

I'm pointing out it would take a situation like that to move him. Something unprecedented like Clarkson/Horton.

Teams aren't taking a contract as uncertain as the one Norris is on without dumping something of equal or greater liability.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Yeah the Sens just have to hope that he either returns close to the form he had when he signed the contract, or blows his shoulder up again and goes on ltir for the next 6 years.

Worst case scenario is if he comes back a 30-40 point player and stays healthy.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I wouldn't do it.

I'm pointing out it would take a situation like that to move him. Something unprecedented like Clarkson/Horton.

Teams aren't taking a contract as uncertain as the one Norris is on without dumping something of equal or greater liability.
Ok. But the PLD contract at 8.5 and him posting 40 points in 82 games is worst deal in the league bad. Norris was pacing at 50 in a year where he clearly wasn't comfortable is clearly different

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad