Player Discussion: Josh Morrissey

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah he was a victim of
circumstance to an extent the way they had pairings set up.

He's going to be an excellent addition to our team when he sticks. Does all the little things right in every zone.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Is it just me or does Morissey lack intensity? Seems he should have logging #1 PP minutes for Canada but seems to have slid to second pairing behind Theodore, Bowey and others more often than not.

I had that impression when he was here for Training camp and see the same here at the WJCs.

Don't like to say it but that is what I am seeing... :(

he was never on the top PP unit

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
B6pCwZ8IcAA4xGN.png:large

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Morrissey was the best defender overall for Canada this tournament. He should tear it up in Kelowna now.

Dabucs02

Jul 12, 2013
So I ask the users of this board... after the performance at the WJHC and his 2014-15 season at this point....

Will Josh Morrissey make the Jets rosters next year?

Will he be:
1st Line?
2nd Line?
3rd Line?
Playing in the AHL?

If everyone is healthy still think he goes to the AHL

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
If he had added 5-10 pounds less last off-season, I think he would have been on the team today. I think he should be on the team next season. Together with Petan.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
If he had added 5-10 pounds less last off-season, I think he would have been on the team today. I think he should be on the team next season. Together with Petan.

the problem was he added 12(?) pounds in the off season and lost a **** ton of agility - even Pardy could have beaten him wide

oh hey I misread your post

happy birthday!

Dabucs02

Jul 12, 2013
He'll be in the NHL next year.
And I'm usually pretty conservative on such things.

I suspect eventually he will because of injury.

Enstrom Stuart and Chiarot will all be here and the right side is on lock down.
Just not sure where he fits.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I suspect eventually he will because of injury.

Enstrom Stuart and Chiarot will all be here and the right side is on lock down.
Just not sure where he fits.

He could quite easily beat out Chiarot for a spot on the team. The most you could say about Chiarot is that he hasn't been bad. Byfuglien has done all the heavy lifting for the pairing in terms of puck movement and Chiarot has been tasked with playing a very simple game. Chiarot doesn't have some massive upside that makes keeping him around or giving him more of a role than #7D a foregone conclusion.

If Morrissey is ready, he's capable of so much more than Chiarot. I don't feel like they're even competing for the same role. He's basically competing with himself to prove he's ready.

My prediction is he'll be in the NHL next year, from opening day.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Totally agree. I think they've already got him tentatively penciled in, and I'd be shocked to see him in the A

Yea between last years AHL run, this goal medal win, and the memorial cup run with Kelowna I think Josh will have paid his dues.....I know this is a junior tournament but he is just away too talented a player to not be playing at least bottom pairing sheltered next season.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg

I hope so. He needs to start comparing himself to NHL calibre competition, and he's just about ready. I also need to be sure that he's sticking before I buy my jersey. ;)

Dabucs02

Jul 12, 2013
He could quite easily beat out Chiarot for a spot on the team. The most you could say about Chiarot is that he hasn't been bad. Byfuglien has done all the heavy lifting for the pairing in terms of puck movement and Chiarot has been tasked with playing a very simple game. Chiarot doesn't have some massive upside that makes keeping him around or giving him more of a role than #7D a foregone conclusion.

If Morrissey is ready, he's capable of so much more than Chiarot. I don't feel like they're even competing for the same role. He's basically competing with himself to prove he's ready.

My prediction is he'll be in the NHL next year, from opening day.

Agree with most of this but Chiarot being a TNSE favorite will be the difference.
TNSE is loyal to a fault (see Thorburn)

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Agree with most of this but Chiarot being a TNSE favorite will be the difference.
TNSE is loyal to a fault (see Thorburn)

You don't think Morrissey would be a TSNE favourite as well? Chiarot could be the seventh defenceman but really should be Stuart as the seventh.

Could Stuart be traded? what could we get for him say from a team like Edmonton that is dying for character

Last edited:

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Is it just me or does Morissey lack intensity? Seems he should have logging #1 PP minutes for Canada but seems to have slid to second pairing behind Theodore, Bowey and others more often than not.

I had that impression when he was here for Training camp and see the same here at the WJCs.

Don't like to say it but that is what I am seeing... :(

I don't know I think he threw some pretty intense body checks in the tournament.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I could see Enstrom getting traded.

Enstrom is far superior to them all so no, he probably wouldn't be traded.

The Jets always carry 7 defencemen. Chiarot can be a healthy scratch and come out of the pressbox when circumstance demands it, such as Morrissey underperforming or someone getting injured.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So I ask the users of this board... after the performance at the WJHC and his 2014-15 season at this point....

Will Josh Morrissey make the Jets rosters next year?

Will he be:
1st Line?
2nd Line?
3rd Line?
Playing in the AHL?

First of all I am a huge Morrissey fan, and was one of the few posters you voted love the pick after he was drafted and have not strayed from that opinion since.

My guess is he will start next season in the A, and will get his chance at some point due to injuries (they always happen). More of an opinion on how I see the Jets developing players. Unless a rookie is ready to jump in as a clear better choice then a veteran they will be allowed to develop until an opportunity presents itself. As time goes on and we become a stronger and deeper team, we will get to the point where we will not expect rookies to make the team so young.

Eventually I think he will be a big part of the team, with top pairing potential.

However, any talk of trading Enstrom is years too premature IMO. One day Morrissey may get to Enstroms level but it will not be anytime soon.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Morrissey can play the right side as well.

Would think he's an upgrade on Clitsome or Postma.

I think he sticks next year, and might start on the right side. He's pretty comfortable there too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad