Player Discussion: Josh Morrissey

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Sherriff Lawless said on L&O tonight that he thinks JMo hasn't shown enough in TC to make the jump, and will be sent back to Junior eventually. We know that it takes a few games for JMo to settle. Question is, does he settle enough to secure a roster spot on opening night?

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
He's been better than Ellerby and more consistent than Pardy. However, he has yet to translate his offensive game to the pro level. It really comes down to whether or not he can outplay Postma and Clitsome. So far, Clitsome has the edge and Postma has yet to play.

I would like to see Morrissey play a few games in the NHL rather then send him back to juniors before camp ends. He will need to improve from what we have seen so far, but he definitely has it in him.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think he starts the season with the Jets. Whether he stays is another story.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Based up to this point, I feel he's going to be sent back down. He'll need a breakout pre-season game to change their mind I think.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Deserves a 9 game stretch in my opinion. After that who knows. I put a lot more stock in his AHL + AHL playoff performances than I do his preseason ones, which actually haven't been that bad. Kid really makes some nice passes that go unnoticed.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Deserves a 9 game stretch in my opinion. After that who knows. I put a lot more stock in his AHL + AHL playoff performances than I do his preseason ones, which actually haven't been that bad. Kid really makes some nice passes that go unnoticed.

Agreed. If you notice your D, it's likely because they've been terribad, more often than not. He's easily better than any of our bottom pair options right now, and he's got room to grow into a second pair D. I still want Enstrom and Trouba together as the top pair, and I think Clitsome and Bogo would make a decent second pair.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Really tough call. IMO the last 2 preseason games will be very important for him. I hope he sticks, or at least gets a few regular season games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Really tough call. IMO the last 2 preseason games will be very important for him. I hope he sticks, or at least gets a few regular season games.

Agree with this. He's seen a lot less game action than the other rookie hopefuls which leads me to believe he's playing in the final 2. What he does with them will really determine where he plays I think.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
He'll get 9 games and we'll see after that. IMO, I think he stays and I doubt the club thinks differently about him after his AHL playoffs performance.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Gary Lawless is terrible. It shows you how low the bar is to become a sports journalist.

Lawless might be terrible, but he's got a direct line with someone who makes decisions in that org. If Lawless says he's going, I'd think so too.

Close enough that he still has a chance to change that outcome though -- needs to be better in the last two games, plus they should give him a few more before they send him back.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think he COULD play in the NHL this year and not be a liability.

I think that with the amount of bodies under contract he'll be sent back to junior. He hasn't been flashy offensively but I'd bet the Jets gave him the assignment to play a simple, defensively sound game to show he can do that and for the most part I think he's done very well with that.

He might get a few games depending on who is healthy but I would't be surprised to see him cut before the regular season starts

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Lawless might be terrible, but he's got a direct line with someone who makes decisions in that org. If Lawless says he's going, I'd think so too.

Close enough that he still has a chance to change that outcome though -- needs to be better in the last two games, plus they should give him a few more before they send him back.

i think you overestimate the amount of info Lawless has access to. He's been so out to lunch way too often.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
To me, it's pretty obvious he's getting sent back. Nothing wrong with playing against guys his own age one more season

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The whole NHL or Junior rule is so unfair. This is a key year of development for Morrissey (and others his age) but the only option is to be thrown into a league above their ability, or go back to a league where they have nothing left to prove. Too bad there isn't a league in between where players can develop. A league where NHL teams can have a farm team and develop their players a level which makes sense.
oh yeah..

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The whole NHL or Junior rule is so unfair. This is a key year of development for Morrissey (and others his age) but the only option is to be thrown into a league above their ability, or go back to a league where they have nothing left to prove. Too bad there isn't a league in between where players can develop. A league where NHL teams can have a farm team and develop their players a level which makes sense.
oh yeah..

It's definitely unfair for some prospects, but it's part of what the NHL agreed to with the CHL - not much can be done about it, other than renegotiate the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad