Value of: Josh Manson to Colorado

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What would he cost? More importantly, what would he cost with 50% retention? Is that something the Ducks would even consider?

I think he’d make a great Erik Johnson replacement but at 4.1 with an extra year left the only way it’s possible is if he has retention, or if there’s salary (Compher or Graves) going back the other way.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Yes they would consider it. I think the retention would up the cost a bit.

Bob had come out saying he will be looking for young NHLers in return.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’m okay with moving him
I’m okay with taking back cap
I’m okay with retaining

value wise, really no clue.... guess it depends on a potential bidding war hopefully

Reactions: Richard88

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I know Manson is quite a bit better but is Colorado missing Zadorov?
No. The fans do. He’s a lovable monster. He hammers body’s. He’s Big Zaddy and we love him. But on the ice as a recipe for success? Absolutely not. Bednar iced a strict, structured system where a full 5 men unit supports one another in every area of the ice. The transition game relies on everybody being exactly where they need to be at every moment. Zadorov refused to play this way. He did his own thing and when a system is so reliant on everybody working in uniform it just throws everything off when one guy plays a different game. His defensive breakdowns were detrimental.

The Avs probably miss his physicality and intimidation, hence the Manson proposal but they don’t miss the hockey player. He caused more harm than good. Having a Josh Manson who brings similar physicality and intimidation while playing a simple defensive game would be a real “best of both worlds” addition.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
No. The fans do. He’s a lovable monster. He hammers body’s. He’s Big Zaddy and we love him. But on the ice as a recipe for success? Absolutely not. Bednar iced a strict, structured system where a full 5 men unit supports one another in every area of the ice. The transition game relies on everybody being exactly where they need to be at every moment. Zadorov refused to play this way. He did his own thing and when a system is so reliant on everybody working in uniform it just throws everything off when one guy plays a different game. His defensive breakdowns were detrimental.

The Avs probably miss his physicality and intimidation, hence the Manson proposal but they don’t miss the hockey player. He caused more harm than good. Having a Josh Manson who brings similar physicality and intimidation while playing a simple defensive game would be a real “best of both worlds” addition.

What about Dennis Gilbert did Avs try him or is he playing with them?.....

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
I know Manson is quite a bit better but is Colorado missing Zadorov?
Lol no. They have the best defense in the league this year. Manson isn’t a need.

Manson would be a fine add for the bottom pairing but he’s not taking minutes from Makar Girard Toews Graves and Byram imo.

Last edited:

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Lol no. They have the best defense in the league this year. Manson isn’t a need.

Manson would be a fine add for the bottom pairing but he’s not taking minutes from Makar Girard Toews Graves and Byram imo.

Don’t know if I agree with that. We have Girard and Makar playing PK at times, which is fine because they’re good at it, but they’re better when they’re playing offense. I think adding a solid PKer would be good for the team.

How is his skating these days though?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What would he cost? More importantly, what would he cost with 50% retention? Is that something the Ducks would even consider?

I think he’d make a great Erik Johnson replacement but at 4.1 with an extra year left the only way it’s possible is if he has retention, or if there’s salary (Compher or Graves) going back the other way.
This insanity to trade Graves just won’t end. He’s our best PK defender.
Did you see how terrible MacDonald played last night? The worst Avs player on the ice by a mile. Go rewatch the first period and chart MacDonalds turnovers. Three brutal ones in just the first alone.

need to keep Graves until EJ gets back, which may never happen.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This insanity to trade Graves just won’t end. He’s our best PK defender.
Did you see how terrible MacDonald played last night? The worst Avs player on the ice by a mile. Go rewatch the first period and chart MacDonalds turnovers. Three brutal ones in just the first alone.

need to keep Graves until EJ gets back, which may never happen.
It’s almost as if my proposal had one of those exact players you just described coming back.

Also I never said anything about Jacob McDonald. I think he needs to be replaced by somebody like Manson. Hence this proposal. I also don’t think Graves needs to go, I’m just saying if Manson comes in there needs to be some type of cap flexibility to allow it as he’s signed next year too. I didn’t make this proposal to ship Graves out of Denver. Reading isn’t hard.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Yes very much so. I mean, still winning and all, but there are definitely moments Colorado needs what only Zadorov brought.
What we don’t need is dumb penalties and poor defense every single game. It’s nice when he laid the big hit but he put himself out of position trying to hit people which led to a lot of odd man rushes and goals against

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Timmins/Kaut + what else?

Timmins is still intriguing but I could see Murray preferring to avoid adding a player with concussion history, has already been a big issue for the Ducks in recent years.

Kaut makes sense, as an addition perhaps another decent forward prospect who would be waiver exempt next year (Beaucage, Foudy?)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Timmins is still intriguing but I could see Murray preferring to avoid adding a player with concussion history, has already been a big issue for the Ducks in recent years.

Kaut makes sense, as an addition perhaps another decent forward prospect who would be waiver exempt next year (Beaucage, Foudy?)
Avs have a bunch of interesting prospects,

barron, helleson, lair, bowers, beaucage, foudy, timmins

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Just out of curiosity, would Anaheim consider Manson for Erik Johnson+?

Johnson's caphit is $1.9m higher and he has one more year term but is a bit unreliable health wise, making his $6m caphit an issue for a contender. Avs could potentially retain a little bit of salary. Obviously the "+" would need to be fairly substantial, but I'm curious what Anaheim fans think it would be more or less.

Fwiw Johnson breeds race horses in California so Anaheim probably wouldn't be one of the 12 teams on his no-trade list (he has a 19 team NTC).

Note that this idea assumes that Johnson will come back and play and not just be a LTIRetirement (because if that were the case Avs may as well just keep him around).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Johnson's caphit is $1.9m higher and he has one more year term but is a bit unreliable health wise, making his $6m caphit an issue for a contender. Avs could potentially retain a little bit of salary. Obviously the "+" would need to be fairly substantial, but I'm curious what Anaheim fans think it would be more or less.

Fwiw Johnson breeds race horses in California so Anaheim probably wouldn't be one of the 12 teams on his no-trade list (he has a 19 team NTC).

Note that this idea assumes that Johnson will come back and play and not just be a LTIRetirement (because if that were the case Avs may as well just keep him around).
EJ actually lives in Newport funny enough. If there was ever a team he’d agree to move to its Anaheim but I don’t think Colorado ever moves him. He’ll LTIRetire.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What is there to suggest that EJ is at the point that he would need to be put on permanent LTIR?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It’s almost as if my proposal had one of those exact players you just described coming back.

Also I never said anything about Jacob McDonald. I think he needs to be replaced by somebody like Manson. Hence this proposal. I also don’t think Graves needs to go, I’m just saying if Manson comes in there needs to be some type of cap flexibility to allow it as he’s signed next year too. I didn’t make this proposal to ship Graves out of Denver. Reading isn’t hard.

then ship someone else out since you specifically mention Graves as trade bait (I can read, can you?) and then replace him with a worse player in Manson.

make it a MacDonald, JTC and a pick trade if you’re looking to make the Avs better, not worse.

A Graves for Manson deal accomplishes making the Avs a worse team.

Timmins should be coming in for MacDonald. The shine is fading of MacDonalds unsustainable start. He was the worst player on the ice last night by a wide margin.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

That’s not correct. EJ has an 11 team list of teams he can’t be traded too.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

Avs have a bunch of interesting prospects,

barron, helleson, lair, bowers, beaucage, foudy, timmins

I'd be surprised if Sakic would entertain trading Barron or Helleson but I think the others would be on the table.

Reactions: Getz2noone

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't see Manson as a realistic target for the Avs. Other teams will view Manson as a second pairing defenseman, or even a stabilizing player to their OFD (i.e. Hughes, Chabot). This isn't the type of player Sakic would target IMO.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

No interest. If it was 1 more year after this then I would be on board but paying 36 year old EJ 6 mil just sounds terrible.

Not worth it to add a late 1st this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad