Confirmed with Link: Josh Leivo signs for a 1 year, 925k

leafygoods

Defending Champs
Aug 12, 2009
Halifax
I expect the brass did this just so everyone will shut up about Leivo lol. Good on him getting an extra mil in the bank.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
For some reason I remember it being JVR and a 1st for Hamonic, they were considering it and then we pulled the offer because Liljegren fell to us? Or maybe that was just speculation. In any case, thanks Vegas, Tampa, and Calgary, Carolina, LA, Detroit, Flordia, etc for passing on him, or that trade may happen.

Interesting, if that's true, Calgary not taking Liljegren, directly before our pick, leads to them trading for Hamonic. Doubt there's any correlation there but it would be funny.

"Hey Calgary, we were bidding with you for Hamonic, but if you don't take Liljegren our 1st is off the table which paves the way for you to get him instead" :sarcasm:

It was an Islanders writer who said the Leafs offered JVR+1st, later echoed by Simmons. There was always a great deal of confusion whether that was the case.

Dreger, for example, didn't think so:
This is full disclosure: I did not dive deep into the Toronto Maple Leafs’ interest in Travis Hamonic. I knew they were talking with Snow through my Islanders sources, but I just flat out asked him Friday whether James van Riemsdyk was being offered, and the message I got back from the Islanders was no. Reportedly, that changed, but I’m not certain a first-round draft pick from the Toronto Maple Leafs was ever included. That tells me that Toronto is maintaining its position when it comes to moving out those young pieces. There is a big difference between trading JVR and throwing in a first-round draft pick or draft picks, because that’s still developing your future.
Source

And it never made a whole lot of sense either: JVR+1st is a more valuable package than the 1st+2nd+2nd deal that was ultimately done with Calgary, and doubly so for a team that was looking for a winger to play with John Tavares.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
We're going to need Josh next season when JvR walks due to asking for too much. We'll need Grundstrom to fill in the hole left by Komarov and we'll need someone to take up Bozak's faceoffs.
I actually think that Leivo's been given too tough a time by Babs, but I'll bet he'll be a regular NHL player starting next season.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It was an Islanders writer who said the Leafs offered JVR+1st, later echoed by Simmons. There was always a great deal of confusion whether that was the case.

Source

And it never made a whole lot of sense either: JVR+1st is a more valuable package than 1st+2nd+2nd, and doubly so for a team that was looking for a winger to play with John Tavares.

That wasn't really the point of my post which was that if that was the offer(which I didn't buy at the time, and still don't), I thought I remembered it was reported that we pulled it because Liljegren was available. I just thought it would be funny if Calgary got Hamonic because they left Liljegren there for us to draft which pulled us from the market because we wouldn't then part with that 1st. So in a way it would be hilarous if they had Valimaki and Liljegren as even and drafted Valimaki because that makes 1 less competitive offer on the table competing with them for Hamonic. Not sure anyone would do that, and even if that speculation that we pulled the offer was because Liljegren was true it would probably just be a coincidence that Calgary would have ended up helping themselves get Hamonic by drafting Valimaki.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I love when people pass media speculation off as fact. No one knows for sure what the leafs we’re offering for Hamonic. Whatever they were. It seems like too much so far.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I love when people pass media speculation off as fact. No one knows for sure what the leafs we’re offering for Hamonic. Whatever they were. It seems like too much so far.

such a great miss of a trade. Hamonic is looking awful. Isles look better without him.

Not sure he's an upgrade over polak tbh.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Wonder if there's a termination clause, perhaps labelled "stop partying so hard"..

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Doesn't it kind of scare you though that the management thought Hamonic was a good player? Don't get me wrong, Hamonic is an okay top four D but if we were willing to pay JvR + 1st for him, the Leafs don't look that good.

Hope it isn't a sign of a terrible trade in the near future as the team gets desperate for solutions on D.

I feel like they just need to be patient. Gardiner and Zaitsev will turn things around and long term we still have Liljegren.
It does. I mean, I understand why a team would want to give Hamonic the chance to prove that last season was a fluke. He's continued in just the same way this season though so it would have been a mistake. Just like Gorges would have been. Many of the names we have been reported as in on have been potential disasters, and I'm still not sure that Marleau won't be an issue in his third year as well.

Things have gone really well for us so far, but judging process (who we are targeting, what we are reportedly offering) rather than results (who we end up getting) should worry us.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It does. I mean, I understand why a team would want to give Hamonic the chance to prove that last season was a fluke. He's continued in just the same way this season though so it would have been a mistake. Just like Gorges would have been. Many of the names we have been reported as in on have been potential disasters, and I'm still not sure that Marleau won't be an issue in his third year as well.

Things have gone really well for us so far, but judging process (who we are targeting, what we are reportedly offering) rather than results (who we end up getting) should worry us.
Dellow wrote a great piece on Hamonic for The Athletic this week. Hamonic has been terrible defending zone-entries (especially in regards to On the Fly Shifts) for the last 2 years.

Reactions: Menzinger

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Dellow wrote a great piece on Hamonic for The Athletic this week. Hamonic has been terrible defending zone-entries (especially in regards to On the Fly Shifts) for the last 2 years.
Yeah I've heard about that. It's interesting to speculate on what has caused such a change. Not that he was great at it earlier, but he supposedly has been one of the worst in the league at this since. I think it might be a case of a naturally aggressive and pro-active player who no longer has the skating necessary to play that way. From what I've seen, he tends to either give up way too much ice or try too hard to break up the play in the neutral zone.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yeah I've heard about that. It's interesting to speculate on what has caused such a change. Not that he was great at it earlier, but he supposedly has been one of the worst in the league at this since. I think it might be a case of a naturally aggressive and pro-active player who no longer has the skating necessary to play that way. From what I've seen, he tends to either give up way too much ice or try too hard to break up the play in the neutral zone.

Hasn’t he been having some problem and demanded a trade? Maybe it’s affected him. Look at redden after his mom. Like the wind went out of his sails.

Hope for the best for the guy. But looks like we dodged one

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
This increases his value in a trade. Clearly and i dont care what Babcock says, he does not like Josh Leivo. Leafs should move him obviously. Leivo is replaceable but making him rot in the stands in a poor move.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

Source

And it never made a whole lot of sense either: JVR+1st is a more valuable package than the 1st+2nd+2nd deal that was ultimately done with Calgary, and doubly so for a team that was looking for a winger to play with John Tavares.
Unless they wanted him west and so did he

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
That's some pretty narrow parameters you've set for yourself.

You don't take any inside information that comes from Friedge, Mackenzie or Lebrun either? Don't think I could live that way myself, but have at er I guess.
Hell no. Not one of them have any idea about facts. There are no such things as insiders anymore. Writers calling players mothers fixed than real good. Today it's guesses and nothing more. MacKenzie the day before it happened said Babcock was not coming to Toronto. It's a guess based on possible scenarios.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Some people read into this too much. If you were Leivo you would realize that your best chance to win the cup is with this team. Also by signing this contract you don’t have to roll the dice on moving your whole life to some other city and you don’t even know where yet.

He gets to stay home on the team with all of his friends and possibly go for the cup while still making good money. Now he just has to prove himself.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
“Let’s put Dermott in a package for a mid aged Dman on an expiring contract”

Smart... :laugh:

Seriously though, we’ve got like 3-4 forwards and a couple lesser defensive prospects to trade before we even think about trading a guy like Dermott. He looks like a Rielly out there but a bit more aggressive and a little less offensive.

Exactly.
I wouldn't trade Dermott for Barrie straight up let alone have him as a throw in.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Sooooo not true. $1 million x 2 years minimum as a UFA.

I could be wrong but I believe there aren't any existing salary requirements nor limitations, in regard to Group VI UFA

The Group VI UFA you'd agree is normally a marginal player and there would be no incentive to sign them to >1m contracts at 2years minimum, because most teams have players in the minors on minimum salaries who can do that same job as the 13th forward for a lot less money, and because of that, if what you're saying is true Group VI's would be heading to europe in droves

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf
(c) Group 6 Free Agents.
(i) Means any Player who is age 25 or older who has completed three (3) or more professional seasons, whose SPC has expired and: (i) in the case of a Player other than a goaltender, has played less than 80 NHL Games, or (ii) in the case of a goaltender, has played less than 28 NHL Games (for the purpose of this definition, a goaltender must have played a minimum of thirty (30) minutes in an NHL Game to register a game played).
For the purposes of the foregoing, the term professional season shall: (A) for a Player aged 18 or 19, mean any season in which such Player plays in eleven (11) or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff games, and games played in any European professional league, while under an SPC), and (B) for a Player aged 20 or older, mean any season in which such Player plays in one or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff games, and games played in any European professional league, while under an SPC).

(ii) Any Group 6 Player shall, at the expiration of his SPC, become an Unrestricted Free Agent and shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction, or being subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Nice deal for Leivo, glad we got him locked.

There's a good chance Bozak, JVR, Komarov, Moore are all gone next year. Expect 4 roster spots to be opened up.....if Nylander moves to C, the other 3 spots are probably between Leivo, Kapanen, Soshnikov....with an outside/last-call shot to guys like Grundstrom, Aaltonen, Marshment, etc.
imo, kapanen will be the leafs 3rd line rw, sosh will be the 4th line rw, leivo will be the 2nd line lw, nylander will be the 2nd line C, rychel will be the 3rd line lw and the leafs will sign a 4th line C.

hyman-matthews-brown
leivo-nylander-marner
rychel-kadri-kapanen
martin-4C-soshnikov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad