Josh Leivo: Movin’ On Up

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree with this 100%. The fact that Saad is playing in the NHL at this point speaks more towards the Blackhawk's AHL depth than anything else. (They are a fantastic NHL team though).

Rushing a player to the NHL doesn't mean that other teams that aren't doing the same are behind in their development of players drafted the same year.

Some players need more time, agreed. Just because one player is in the NHL now, does not mean Danault is a bad prospect, or Jenner or Grimaldi. They will have their days.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Nice.

Never have enough Big skilled bangers and crashers.

He is big but there is no banging and crashing in his game - he does however protect the puck very nicely with his frame

I have seen him play numerous times and actually could count him making 1 or 2 hits total

You guys will be shocked at some of his nifty cycling moves - he protects the puck extremely well and banks pucks off the boards extremely well to keep possession down low - puck possession like this is something the Leafs have lacked since Sundin left

His top end skill is a decent 2nd liner center who will be smart at both ends of the ice. I do think realistically he will be a very good third liner

I have absolutely no doubt he will be in the NHL - he is too skilled and smart not to

saint2e

Aug 4, 2005
Kitchener, Ontario
i've seen Leivo play a couple times for Kitchener, and he is dynamite in the corners. he gets into the dirty areas and can tie up the puck while fighting off 2-3 guys. All of a sudden he'll manage to make a pass to a teammate and gives them a good chance to score or setup for a score.

I was impressed, and later found out he was a Leafs prospect, so my blue-coloured glasses were not skewing my perspective.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm sorry, can you point out where I said we won the trade? All I said was we seemed to have made a pretty good trade. Hardly stating we won.

You are correct, but IMO a good trade is one that is good for the Leafs. Two junior players don't do anything for the Leafs unless of course you can use them to get a NHL player or two.

EDIT: Yes a trade can be good for both teams, so it isn't necessary to declare a winner, but at this point Leafs cannot claim it is good.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
You are correct, but IMO a good trade is one that is good for the Leafs. Two junior players don't do anything for the Leafs unless of course you can use them to get a NHL player or two.

EDIT: Yes a trade can be good for both teams, so it isn't necessary to declare a winner, but at this point Leafs cannot claim it is good.

I never said it was bad for the Flyers (Although it was :)). Either way I am happy letting Leivo develop and see what he can become. If anything, he could, as you said, be used as a trade chip as a final piece to bring in an established player.

Leivo was a "hunch" pick by our scouting staff. He wasn't really on the radar at that point and they gambled on what they saw in this unknown prospect. Atleast he is showing some promise, so good on our scouts for taking a gamble. Looks good on our scouting staff atleast. :nod:

Prototype

Nov 7, 2011
Great read. Nice seeing our prospects develop. I'm also happy that he doesn't handle the puck like a grenade - we need better puck possession on this team.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I never said it was bad for the Flyers (Although it was :)). Either way I am happy letting Leivo develop and see what he can become. If anything, he could, as you said, be used as a trade chip as a final piece to bring in an established player.

Leivo was a "hunch" pick by our scouting staff. He wasn't really on the radar at that point and they gambled on what they saw in this unknown prospect. Atleast he is showing some promise, so good on our scouts for taking a gamble. Looks good on our scouting staff atleast. :nod:

Leafs scouting staff is probably as good as most. When you don't have 1st. rounders it is harder to hit a homerun.

You Like Boyce

Mar 7, 2011
I've been able to see Leivo a lot playing for the Wolves and a few times with Kitch and I'm definitely impressed. Looking forward to seeing him at a higher level next season. The western conference is crazy in the O this year as pretty much all of the 8 teams in the playoffs have a shot if they get hot at the right time. I hope Kitchener can go deep

It's hard to say the Leafs didn't 'win' the trade with the Flyers. The Leafs got Leivo and Percy and the Flyers traded the 2nd they got for a few months of Kubina and the 3rd was used on Gostisbehere. Not bad for either team but hardly what the Flyers envisioned IMO

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Hes been one of the marlies best players this season and hes looked good in the nhl as well. What kind of potential does this kid have?

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Hes been one of the marlies best players this season and hes looked good in the nhl as well. What kind of potential does this kid have?

Good 3rd line player is the consensus.. He can become more. He's got a really good wrist shot and he can be mean as hell at cycling the puck, those are some traits that can put you in the top 6..

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Kid's a beaut. Like lupul without the great skating.

He'll slide nicely into the open third line RW slot next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad