Josh Leivo: Movin’ On Up

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
With the graduations of Nazem Kadri and Matt Frattin to the NHL, the prospect pipeline becomes a little thinner up front, particularly in terms of top-end skill. This will be an opportunity for some fans to look a little further down the depth chart at some of the budding talent and potential future Toronto Maple Leafs.

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/1305-josh-leivo-movin-on-up

josh%20leivo.jpg

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Liked this kid when I saw him in training (rookie?) camp last year.

Good all around skillset, and thinks the game well. I think he's a keeper. Not sure if he'll ever be more than a 3rd liner, but he has a chance to be.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Ideal scenario:

Leivo-Kadri-Frattin

Leafs future 2nd line.

Edit:

Although realizing Lupul and JVR are here for the longrun:

Lupul-XXX-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Frattin
Leivo-XXX-Biggs
XXX-McClement-XXX

Flip every other forward still signed that is not mentioned for a #1C and we're set:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Saw Leivo play a couple fridays ago. He played great, had a couple assists in a 3-2 SO loss to Plymouth. He ended up being one of the 3 stars of the game.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Watched him play in Sudbury a few times. He's got a good combination of size, speed, and skill. Can't wait for Eakins to get his hands on him.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Our prospect pool is better then many publications make it out to be. The teams in better shape then a lot of people think going forth.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The fact that he's produced at a high level in Sudbury without any star quality linemates mixed with the fact that he's one of the better defensive forwards in the OHL, gives me hope that he should at least be a solid two-way 3rd liner, and maybe a little higher.

I like seeing teams built around solid two-way players, so him and Biggs are definitely the types of prospects I like to see coming up the pipeline.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Watched him play in Sudbury a few times. He's got a good combination of size, speed, and skill. Can't wait for Eakins to get his hands on him.

If, and that's a big IF, Eakins is still around then. Could very well lose him to an NHL team as early as this coming summer. :cry:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
By reading the article, sounds like Leivo has a higher ceiling than Ross...

Yep. If Leivo puts it all together, he is a top six player for the Leafs.

Brad Ross has a ceiling similar to most other pests...3rd line role.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If, and that's a big IF, Eakins is still around then. Could very well lose him to an NHL team as early as this coming summer. :cry:

Not really we could just make him an offer of NHL salary keep him around and have him waiting in the wings.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I really thought that Carlyle would be gone by the end of the year to make room for Eakins, but damnit if he's making it really, really hard to make any case for it.

Regardless, I agree that Leivo will be a future NHL top 6er

birddog*

Ideal scenario:

Leivo-Kadri-Frattin

Leafs future 2nd line.

Edit:

Although realizing Lupul and JVR are here for the longrun:

Lupul-XXX-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Frattin
Leivo-XXX-Biggs
XXX-McClement-XXX

Flip every other forward still signed that is not mentioned for a #1C and we're set:sarcasm:

Komarov needs to be in there. He's been terrific. Does a lot of little things better than anyone else on this team.

Also, no reason not to pencil in Bozak on the third line. Perfect fit.

8dm13

Dec 22, 2012
By reading the article, sounds like Leivo has a higher ceiling than Ross...

Offensively I'd say so. I feel like Ross is destined to play the role of Darcy Tucker. Grind all day, but also chip in when playing with skill players.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
After next season.

JVR-1st13-Kessel
Lupol-Kadri-Frattin
Leivo-Bozak-Biggs
Ashton-McClement-Devane

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner - Holzer
Frazer - Blacker

Reimer