Josh Leivo appreciation thread

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
will be the jvr replacement next season so i'm happy we re-signed him
I don't think I've ever seen a player who is a future replacement (JVR level replacement or not) who doesn't play on the team in some capacity or in any other league for that matter.
Take a year off Josh. We good next year. That's pretty bad when you think of it. Not good enough for 1 of 8 spots on the team and he's a JVR replacement?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Haven't given it much thought. I don't really care if he plays or not, I don't get why so many do.
because he deserves a shot and hes better than matt martin and hyman offensively. hyman is a career 0.41 ppg player which is 33pts/82 games while leivo is a 0.52 ppg player which is 43 pts/pg pace. hyman plays with matthews and leivo plays with moore in case you forgot

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I don't think I've ever seen a player who is a future replacement (JVR level replacement or not) who doesn't play on the team in some capacity or in any other league for that matter.
Take a year off Josh. We good next year. That's pretty bad when you think of it. Not good enough for 1 of 8 spots on the team and he's a JVR replacement?
he isn't better offensively than jvr and marleau and he doesn't fit the 4th line role well. thats why he's a healthy scratch. when he's in the lineup he also gets pp time

Apollo Leaf

Apr 8, 2010
When I seen the thread title I thought Leivo had been traded.

But yeah, he needs playing time. Whether it’s with the Leafs, Marlies or somewhere else. It’s a sin to keep him in the press box for almost an entire season.

Reactions: hotpaws

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
he isn't better offensively than jvr and marleau and he doesn't fit the 4th line role well. thats why he's a healthy scratch. when he's in the lineup he also gets pp time
Still you think you'd give Kappy or Leivo a little time in a more prominent position considering you have 4 UFAs next year. You are going to possibly lose Bozak,JVR,Komarov,Moore and you have guys that are NHL green expected to contribute right off the hop. It's very hard to judge if you take a step forward or back like that. Then if you sign a UFA to replace JVR, what happens then?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Still you think you'd give Kappy or Leivo a little time in a more prominent position considering you have 4 UFAs next year. You are going to possibly lose Bozak,JVR,Komarov,Moore and you have guys that are NHL green expected to contribute right off the hop. It's very hard to judge if you take a step forward or back like that. Then if you sign a UFA to replace JVR, what happens then?
the first part no. you're gonna play your best players regardless of whether they're pending ufa's or not.

the second part, unlikely. a guy to replace him non-internally will be given a big contract and thats what needs to not happen/most likely wont happen.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
the first part no. you're gonna play your best players regardless of whether they're pending ufa's or not.

the second part, unlikely. a guy to replace him non-internally will be given a big contract and thats what needs to not happen/most likely wont happen.
Then if they aren't your best players, why are you losing your best for possibly nothing. That's another issue entirely. Cause if these guys fall flat and you're not signing someone, are you moving forward, staying the same or moving back. It's planning beyond the moment.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Then if they aren't your best players, why are you losing your best for possibly nothing. That's another issue entirely. Cause if these guys fall flat and you're not signing someone, are you moving forward, staying the same or moving back. It's planning beyond the moment.
because management believes we are good enough to compete this year.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Haven't given it much thought. I don't really care if he plays or not, I don't get why so many do.

I'd just like to see him get a legit shot to see what he can do. With 3 or 4 guys possibly leaving next year it would be nice to know if he can step in or not.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
will be the jvr replacement next season so i'm happy we re-signed him
tenor.gif

Reactions: FieldOfDreams

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Considering his usage he’s actually performed pretty well.

He was never going to be the driver of a line but I’d be fine with him being a replacement depth winger into next season. If he got extended usage with skilled linemates he’d likely produce - which is all you ask for at 800k salary

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
if you listen to nhl coaches and gm's talk, they very often mention speed, fast players, speed of the game, etc...being solid on your skates like leivo or martin will not do unless you got elite or at least great skills to make up for your speed...and as good as leivo's skills are, nothing is really elite or even that great, i mean he has good skills though

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I don't know about Leivo. When he plays, I don't like him, but his advanced stats and scoring numbers are pretty good over his career. I will say he seems to bring a good attitude, I've never read about him complaining about not getting in the lineup.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I dont think he is quick/consistent enough to play on next year's and beyond leafs team. I always liked Levio and think he can be a 15~20 goal scorer playing in a system that fits his skill set.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He is well compensated for dedicating his life to the Game. He will have made 2.5 million less taxes by the time he is 26yrs old. No matter the event, he is in good shape financially.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00