Josh Leivo appreciation thread

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He seems to be a hot topic recently.
I'm not much of a fan but the organization obviously likes him, although they have a funny way of showing it.

Have at it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's a hot topic recently?

I think he deserves a shot. 10 goals in like 50 games in 4th line ES minutes with not talented linemates is certainly something.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I feel like the coaches killed his value and probably some of the development he was going through.

He's been fairly unlucky that scoring wingers in front of him never really got injured.

Too bad that Babcock finally started to sit out Martin. I think Leivo should have always been in a rotation with him at the very least.

Maybe he'll finally get his chance next season? Maybe? Nah...

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think it's clear Babs doesn't like him.

I'd really like to see him in the line up or traded to someone who can use him.

Prefer it be out west. Feel like with top 9 ice time, 2nd PP time and with a good playmaking centre he's capable of 20 goals.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Its about time we appreciate how he can ..uh...umm...ahhh....errrrr.... sit? YES! That's it , he SITS better than anyone on the big league roster, SITS in the press box and eats something or maybe he eats nothing but he ummm... errrrr... he's ahhhh ... fan appreciation... wooooot...

WOOOOO cheers to one of our Black Ace's for ... doing something (that I'm not sure what it is) worth appreciating...

Reactions: White Shadow

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I think he'll get his chance next year, maybe management told him that some spots would open up? Why else would he sign a 1 year extension? If he doesn't get a chance next year he'll be trying to get out of here I imagine.

He's still an RFA and people don't seem to acknowledge that requesting a trade (or testing UFA if he had the option) isn't always a promising avenue for a guy like Leivo because he won't know where he will end up, he won't know how many offers he would get, if any (likely a couple but that's it) he won't know if he'll make an NHL roster or not. Also, some players don't want to move their whole life chasing uncertainty. His safest bet is to stay right where he is at and earn an NHL paycheck.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Happy to see the contract extension as "will he or won't he reach 80 games?" could've been an unnecessary distraction around the team. We never appeared to want to lose him for free and now we won't, and he might've had a chance to leave in the event he was unhappy, and he obviously isn't. Might be a defined role for him (PP time, not sure where he figures in at ES), but think he could get a bit more of a chance soon enough.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Donkey Puck

Feb 15, 2013
Leivo will get his chance either here or elsewhere very soon. Hyman is is his way here which is disgustingly metaphorical.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
He looks good when he's playing. Valuable scratch in Toronto. Comparables in the league? Mediocre speed but good board play with hands. Never more than an 12-18 goal scorer. If he can be all Babs wants defensively has a chance to play a role. More than likely he's packaged as we likely need contract space again going forward.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He seems to be a hot topic recently.
I'm not much of a fan but the organization obviously likes him, although they have a funny way of showing it.

Have at it.

I would think if they liked him, he'd play, but he doesn't at all....ever he's just kind of exists at this point.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
How will they know if he can even have a spot next year if he sits? Playing once every 15 games is bs too
well he is waiver eligible and management is afraid of losing him on waivers. also he signed an extension with us and chances are that extension was an indirect promise that he'd be getting playing time with us. also, he's probably 1st in line to get a roster spot next season besides the regulars.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I guess but what does he have to do to get in a game? do you remember the last time he played? I don't
Haven't given it much thought. I don't really care if he plays or not, I don't get why so many do.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
With the way Babcock deploys his lines, Leivo competes directly against guys like JVR, Brown and Marner for playing time. Considering we have once again been very healthy with our scoring wingers, I don't think there are any conclusions to be drawn based on him not playing much. Other than that he's behind these guys in the depth charts, which is understandable. Brown is the only arguable one, and he has the advantage of having been given a proper chance and taking it. He also has a use on the PK, which Leivo doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad