Josh Gorges nixing the TO trade

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Franson seems to be better as an offensive dman but he's making much more money too. I guess it depends on the Buffalo 2nd pick that we got and what Bergevin plans to do

I haven't seen much of Franson's plays but I certainly don't like Gilbert much

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Don't care, Gorges will forever be a hero for his action.

Also Dan Boyle was plan A until the Rangers stepped in ( no sources but i know )

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Franson is typically a pain when it comes to contract signature AND can't really play more than 16 minutes a night, including PP.

Gilbert ain't half bad, the salary isn't bad.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Franson is playing for a paycheck since he's UFA last year. I see a lot of Leafs games. He's been playing well, but he's still slow and I wouldn't bet on it being sustainable.

Gilbert hasn't been much worse than him, is much cheaper and the Habs got a pick.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
doesn't really matter. It's his decision and you can't hate him for it. It's not like he stopped us from getting a great player. Franson is playing well this year but he's not that good.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Hard to tell how Franson would look with the Habs, but Gilbert hasn't been awful. His cap hit is nice and that 2nd-rounder is a good addition to the Habs pile-o-picks.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
How does the fact that it's his decision preclude us from not liking it, if that's how we feel about it ?

Because his decision wasn't based on what's best for the Habs roster but more what's best for himself and his family. It's Bergevin's job to find the best player to add onto the roster.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Because his decision wasn't based on what's best for the Habs roster but more what's best for himself and his family. It's Bergevin's job to find the best player to add onto the roster.

That doesn't change anything for me.

Also the bolded part is fabrication to try and make it sound better.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Franson's having a really good year, I feel like he could've been a good fit on the habs down the line, we're going need some talented defenseman in the next couple of years to play the pp and Beaulieu still has his question marks. I would definitely not miss Tom Gilbert.

However, top 60 picks are always relishing with TT at the draft table, In fact Id rather not go full Pittsburgh mode and trade our picks most years, It's really hard to maintain good depth through the years if you rarely have new kids knocking on the doors. You can always find a good core player with good drafting even if you're already a contender, look at the Kings, how better they got with the emergence of Toffoli and Pearson.

Im happy with the return for Gorges but a Franson swap would definitely have been a steal.

edit: Forgot to mention how awesome it was that Gorges made the Leafs the ultimate diss. :yo: Kudos!

Last edited:

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
I agree with this.
In a cap world draft picks become valuable especially if you can draft well. When we were trading away picks for players it hurt the team because the core was not strong enough at the time to really contend for a Cup.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
Josh had the CH tattooed on his heart. Too bad he's not playing on Saturday as he deserves a standing ovation.

As for Gilbert he can **** off. Franson could have helped on the pp but we did end up getting a 2nd. Overall not a bad trade off.

Davebo*

Gorges earned the right to choose his future in my opinion. So, choice #3... ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad