OT: Josh Gorges appreciation thread

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
His heart on his sleeve nature was his best and worst asset. It was easy to make fun of him for it, but he genuinely loved to be a Canadien, and would do anything for us. He made the most of his limited ability to defy the odds and become a top four NHL defenseman and an excellent penalty killer. It will be strange to see the Habs without him.

Best of all, he spent his last days as a Canadien trolling the Leafs and Toronto media. Good luck to Josh "Was he a captain?" Gorges, may him and Gionta lift Buffalo out of the draft lottery into a treadmill team.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Gorges to NHL Network re Leafs: "Nothing against that organization or it's players but it would be like going to play for Boston."
That alone gets him an invite to a future oldtimers game. Props to him on having his heart in the right place and good luck to him.

TheRooster

Dec 31, 2013
Montreal
Sucks to see the way he was let go. I really dislike the way the trade was handled, but at the end of the day, its business.

Good luck in Buffalo, Josh. You were great for us and its sad to see you go. You have my respect.

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
Thank Josh for giving your heart and soul to habs. If you own 2.5 M instead of 3.9M, you are still with the team now.

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
I fear we will regret trading him very soon....

Best of luck Josh, I always thought you were a great defenceman.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
What a nightmare of a pre-season game Gorges just had. Two penalties and broke a bone in Jordan Staals leg (yes in a pre-season game... But we all knew he is over zealous). Gorges is done. This is his last year.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
last year? after one pre-season game?

:help:

I bet you your 50 vcash to my 500. Think of all the things you can do with that vcash.

All seriousness though. A gentllemans bet for nothing but bragging rights? Gorges last year in the NHL.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I bet you your 50 vcash to my 500. Think of all the things you can do with that vcash.

All seriousness though. A gentllemans bet for nothing but bragging rights? Gorges last year in the NHL.

Okay alright if he doesnt play a game next year I change my avatar to your liking.

Wanna bet?

You have to do same if I win.

PricePkPatch*

Okay alright if he doesnt play a game next year I change my avatar to your liking.

Wanna bet?

You have to do same if I win.

We need to establish the length of the punishment. 1 month? 1 season?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I liked Gorges, but that contract meant that there was little choice but to let go of him in such a brutal fashion.

His contract was reasonable. He was let go because of Beaulieu and Tinordi.

And he was not let go in a brutal manner. He was traded in the offseason. That's not brutal as far as trades go.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

And he was not let go in a brutal manner. He was traded in the offseason. That's not brutal as far as trades go.

If he was right handed he might still be here.
It will be interesting and a bit weird to see who gets a better reception when Buf are in town.
JG or BG ?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
What a nightmare of a pre-season game Gorges just had. Two penalties and broke a bone in Jordan Staals leg (yes in a pre-season game... But we all knew he is over zealous). Gorges is done. This is his last year.

WTF..?

Staal broke his own leg trying to haul down Gorges. Pretty clear in the video.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I admire his heart:
«Je suis le genre de gars... quand je commence quelque chose, je veux aller jusqu'au bout. Je m'étais engagé à gagner la Coupe Stanley à Montréal. C'était ça le but, le rêve. Et quand tu te fais dire que ce rêve-là n'est plus possible, c'est difficile. Je ne m'y attendais pas du tout.»

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201409/24/01-4803110-le-chandail-de-josh-gorges.php

En partant, Josh Gorges ne voulait rien savoir du chandail bleu à la feuille d'érable. «Cela aurait été injuste pour les Leafs; je n'aurais pas pu être le même joueur avec eux, pas avec la rivalité que j'ai connue entre les deux équipes. C'est une rivalité qu'on ne peut pas oublier. Je ne voulais pas aller là-bas.»

We need more players like him that refuse to go to a rival team.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
The man had his limitations but his mental fortitude and character are off the charts.

A true Hab and someone I wish was with us when we win the cup.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK

He was overpaid for what he was, which is essentially a Weaver that can handle 2nd pairing duties.

By brutal, I mean that for him, the trade must have come out of nowhere, usually a player gets an inkling that they will be moved; either they instigate it, or he gets signals like being gradually dropped down the depth chart (see PAP/Briere).

He played important movements, was a leader, vocal presence, always accessible to the media, wore an "A", quite popular with fans and I'm sure he harboured aspirations of wearing the "C".

It was quite ruthless by Bergevin really, but it was for the overall good of the club.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He was overpaid for what he was, which is essentially a Weaver that can handle 2nd pairing duties.

By brutal, I mean that for him, the trade must have come out of nowhere, usually a player gets an inkling that they will be moved; either they instigate it, or he gets signals like being gradually dropped down the depth chart (see PAP/Briere).

He played important movements, was a leader, vocal presence, always accessible to the media, wore an "A", quite popular with fans and I'm sure he harboured aspirations of wearing the "C".

It was quite ruthless by Bergevin really, but it was for the overall good of the club.

I'm not sure about the out of nowhere part. The zamboni hadn't even finished cleaning the ice after our loss in game 6 to NYR before Josh's name was being bandied about as the probable odd man out.
If he refused to see the log-jam on LD and the likelyhood of Emelin muddying the waters even further
he was sadly mistaken.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
I'm not sure about the out of nowhere part. The zamboni hadn't even finished cleaning the ice after our loss in game 6 to NYR before Josh's name was being bandied about as the probable odd man out.
If he refused to see the log-jam on LD and the likelyhood of Emelin muddying the waters even further
he was sadly mistaken.

What's the difference between Gorges and Weaver? The latter is a RH shot, a known need, and costs less for the same package. That was easy. Oh, and Weaver is actually better in the room and smarter (it could be argued that as a player, he's the closest to a Marc Bergevin clone on the roster, if not the league).

What did we lose? Um, I can't be the only one who got sick of seeing and hearing, "pass back to Gorges at the point and he dumps it into the corner. Pretty sure management watches video.

How many of his blocked shots were started by Gorges stupidly, unimaginatively dumping the puck into the corner?

If the future of the team rests on the shoulders of an increasingly competitive and ever-growing corps of younger, more mobile and bigger defencemen, then I'm glad we got so much as the proverbial puckbag for Gorges.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $45.00