OT: Josh Gorges appreciation thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Pure pro.
Arrived as a long shot to be an NHL regular, ended up a solid contributor, bled bleu/blanc/rouge.

Hope he gets the warm reception he deserves in his first game back.

Good luck in Buffalo Josh, just not against us of course.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
Heart and soul team guy, role model of commitment, clearly a great teammate. A hab I will remember fondly for decades, like Mike McPhee or Mike Keane. Special players because of who they made themselves, not what they were given.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Losing Gorges is gonna have a negative effect on the Habs penalty kill. I think losing him will be a big loss to the Habs team next year and the fans who wanted him gone will wish he was still a Hab. Sucks to see him go. Good luck with the Sabres Josh.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Thanks for being a warrior for us. I am sure you buddy Galy will give you a nice greeting in the blue paint next year ;)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
He played above and beyond his limitations, really hard worker, dedication and loyalty off the charts. Really sad how things became a bit of a circus, it would have been nicer to just be surprised on draft day that he was traded to Buffalo, without all the extra nonsense.

He bled and sacrificed for the Habs, played those great years on a wonky knee, and just did everything the team asked of him and more. I don't think many of us saw this coming when he was a throw-in on the Rivet trade, but the guy just refused to give up and became a really reliable player for us.

Best of luck in Buffalo Gorges! :handclap:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The Gorges contract was the mistake.Too bad because you need guys like Gorges to win.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Like many I think if he'd been signed for less as a great 3rd pairing guy his stay in Montreal could have been longer. Sayonara Josh best wishes !

Apr 28, 2010
Damn, I'm really sad to see this guy leave this way. I'm still disappointed with posters here who criticized him for simply wanting to be a part of this team.

Good luck, Gorgy.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
I have nothing but admiration for Josh Gorges, I hope he comes back after his career is over and finds a place in the orginzation.

Best of luck to him, his wife and his newborn! :)

He is part of my all Habs all Heart team.

Koivu
Naslund
Gorges
Rivet

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
All heart and guts...will miss him. It's always tough to say goodbye to a guy that understood what it meant to be a hab...

The end might be bitter, but the habs gave him his chance, and also gave him a pretty good contract for the talents that he brought to the game so in the end even though he is not a hab anymore, at least he is taken care of. Part of me wishes to have kept him in the 5-6 spot for the money that Weaver is getting, but Josh isn't going to give up that money. So goodbye Josh...all the best!

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Seemed to be a great teammate and put a helluva an effort out there..........I am pretty sure Price will miss his ass in his face all year long.

Sorry Josh but if you want to be a goalie you should wear the pads.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
Great guy, left it all on the ice. I still remember seeing this totally lost kid that looked like waiver fodder we got back in the Rivet deal and he became a stud after the first half of the 07-08 season. Will fondly remember his time here, but I can't say I'm not happy he was dealt because it's going to be a steep downward slope from here on out.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I still think that, despite his limitations, he's the type of player you win with. Considering all the contracts that get tossed around the nhl, 3.9 million wasn't that bad.

Always liked his game. He was overrated for a little while in habs land, but he quickly went to being under appreciated.

Two conference finals, two division wins and a first place finish with Gorges playing significant minutes on the habs D-core.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Gorges was part of the identity of the Habs.
Enough to be a candidate for C in the last four years.

He was probably seeing himself as a potential C and now he is traded.
You guys can understand the shock...

Anyway, he was all heart and soul with us.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Thanks for everything, solid play and community involvement.

I hope you can find your way back to the Habs either at the end of your career or after in a job similar to Brisebois.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
Love the guy, hopefully he has no hard feelings towards MTL. Good luck.

Kevin McGran ‏@kevin_mcgran · 1m
Gorges on why he nixed trade to #Leafs : “I’ve grown to hate this team†Will fit in with Sabres.

So often we hear that players don't actually care about rivalries and it's just something sold by the media to hype up a match. Gorges is proof that the players care about the rivalries just like we do. So long Josh, your heart and determination will be missed.

Oh and did any of you know he was the captain of the Kelowna Rockets?:sarcasm:

Had to say it one last time.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I still think that, despite his limitations, he's the type of player you win with. Considering all the contracts that get tossed around the nhl, 3.9 million wasn't that bad.

Always liked his game. He was overrated for a little while in habs land, but he quickly went to being under appreciated.

Two conference finals, two division wins and a first place finish with Gorges playing significant minutes on the habs D-core.

The problem is those trips to the Conference finals are taking their toll on him. He's never going to get better, only more beat up. His steady decline and longterm contract would make it more and more difficult to move him. It's unfortunate because you really do win with these guys.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
I'll miss Josh Gorges, but, I suppose it's best he goes while he is still good. The team is transitioning away from the Koivu/Kovy and Gomez/Cammy/Gio eras, and sadly he's a casualty of that. We needed more Right-handers on the blueline. (Cody Franson was the original Leafs trade)

Best of luck in Buffalo, real solid trade for them.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Loved his dedication! I remember his 1st interview at the airport after the trade with SJ. He became a good D with the Habs.

tumblr_n2wwe8Gp9k1shr61qo1_400.gif

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
I loved Gorges ! At his best, he was a fine heart-and-soul 2nd pairing D. Loved the warrior selfless attitude. Thanks for the services and the class you displayed. It was a great ride and you will be remembered dearly !!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad