Josh Gorges Announces His Retirement

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It's an ongoing theme with this guy. Except for Pleks for some reason.

Bergevin knew he pissed off a lot of fans by letting Markov walk right before his 1000th game. I always interpreted Plekanec being signed and eventually being kept around long to play his was some kind of way to try and make up for that as if it was the same. And that’s not to disrespect Plekanec.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Was bleeding Bleu-Blanc-Rouge....i didn't always liked him but i always respected him for his work ethic.
Still feel it's a shame how Bergevin tried to screw him at the end of his days with the Habs.
How did Bergevin "try to screw him"? Because he asked him to waive his NTC to go to a team that he didn't want to go to so he moved him elsewhere?

Anyway, Gorges was cool. Best of luck in his retirement.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wonder what he's going to do now? Cheerleader?

Go Red.

KmiUo5m.gif

HabsGifs

Follow me on twitter! @HabsGifs
Jan 29, 2009
When a warrior falls In the face of a test
There's one thing they are
As they heal up and rest:

A warrior still

You made me proud to be a #Habs fan. #26 never missed a shift, may your character fall from failing hands for others to hold it high. Thank you Josh Gorges.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Always had respect for his play on the ice, then I realized he was a moron when he spoke during lockout.
Still gotta give respect. I remember him blocking a shot with his helmet..

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don't think anyone expected him to have such an impact when he arrived from San Jose. I think many saw him just as a throw-in but he ended up being more than that. Not a world beater but a solid dman for the Habs for a number of years for sure.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Good player who loved to play here and took things seriously
Awesome trade to bring him here with a 1st (Pacioretty) for Rivet!!!
Best of luck in the future Josh

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
He was a true warrior for us. He had the Habs tattooed on his heart. He refused to play gor the Leafs. That contract became a bit of a burden at the end. We moved him at the right time. Unfortunatly when we signed Alzner to that contract I told my buddies we signed Gorges 2.0 with a much bigger pricr tag.

Happy Retirement Gorgie!!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Gorges was on TSN690 with Melnick earlier tonight. He said when the Habs tried to trade him to Toronto (of all places he said) he thought it was just a joke and that his agent was kidding.He also said he would've nixed a trade to the Bruins.

Here's the audio of the interview from earlier tonight.
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/gorges-playoff-games-in-montreal-were-the-best-1.1242032

Heard that when it was on. Just refreshing to see a player so proud to wear the jersey and who hated the Leafs so much that he nixed a trade that would have sent him there. I don't remember a player doing that recently. He said he couldn't overcome hating the Leafs so much over the 8 years he was a Hab.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kimota and sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Heard that when it was on. Just refreshing to hear a player so proud to wear the jersey and who hated the Leafs so much that he nixed a trade that would have sent him there. I don't remember a player doing that recently. He said he couldn't overcome hating the Leafs so much over the 8 years he was a Hab.

It was a very good listen. All said Gorges had a pretty good NHL career for himself. He also had lots of good stuff to say about Scott Hannan.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It was a very good listen. All said Gorges had a pretty good NHL career for himself. He also had lots of good stuff to say about Scott Hannan.

Gorges paid if forward. Hannan showed him the ropes and Gorges never forgot it. Was listening to Ray Ferraro today saying how much he missed not having someone do that for him when he started out. Gorges had Brendan Gallagher live at his house when Gallagher was in his rookie year.

This is one of the more endearing aspects of hockey culture. I don't know how much of this goes on in other pro sports. There is definitely a big brother and mentoring aspect that goes beyond the playing surface.

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Great combativity. Would leave his heart on the ice. I remember a game I think it was against the Leafs(?) where he was pumelled by a much bigger guy but he kept at it, ton of courage. Was distraught when he was traded because he loved being a Hab. You cannot ask for more.

My favorite memory of him was how much of a good PK guy he was paired with Al Gill. Al was the octopuss acting like a second goalie and Gorges was the big shot blocker. Along with Price in the net was a big reason we were first or near the top in PK.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Did you guys know he was captain of the Kelowna Rockets? Probably not. I like to break news.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad