Josh Gorges, Alex Emelin or Tom Gilbert

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
Emelin is a great defenseman. He can make some mistakes and his contract is a doozie but honestly he's a hab I'd rather have playing than on another team.

I don't really see how anyone can justify 3 more years of Emelin at 4+ over 1 year of Gilbert at 2.8 million.

They're both bad enough that this decision should really come down to the contract

Except Emelin has one year left on his contract and he's not bad at all.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
1) Gilbert - Because of the length and dollar of his contract being more fitting to the role he plays.
2) Gorges - Because despite his decline and injuries, he's better than Emelin.
3) Emelin - Gives a physical presence but is as overpaid as Gorges but not nearly as reliable in his own end.

I'm not saying Gilbert is better than Gorges, but at the contract AAV and length I'd take him over him. I also find him to be equally if not more reliable in his own end than Emelin and feel the hate towards him is exaggerated.

Am I saying Emelin is terrible? No. But I'd rather pay Gilbert 2.8 to be a #5-6 than Emelin 3.9 to be a #4 which he's clearly out of place trying to be. He looks lost 2/3 of the time and brings little offense anyways. As for Gorges, I just feel he's safer in his own end and while not a top 4 guy either can look a lot less out place and get burned a lot less in the process.

Personally, I hope Emelin is dealt. He isn't worth his contract. He's a #5 being paid 2nd pairing money and I don't think he'll ever be positionally sound enough or offensive enough to make up for that. Far too many times I see the guy getting caught standing around or out of position when a goal ends up in the back of our net. I shutter to think what Price's GAA and SV% could have been if we had another 3.9m per d-man in his place. Here's a hint, I think the numbers would've been even more other wordly.

Gorges shouldn't even be in the conversation. He was bad on his final 2 year with the Habs and he is still bad now. Whereas Gilbert and Emelin have their respective skills which make them decent defensemen, literally all Gorges is good at is blocking shots. Even his defensive game is overrated, which is bad news for a supposed stay at home defenseman.

Maybe I'm being too hard on Gorges, but IMO he isn't a very good defensemen. I was real happy the day he was traded because I wanted him gone the season before.

I was happy too for the record. I don't think either are worth what they're paid and want both gone. But if I had to choose (and maybe this is me remembering more-so the Gorges of years previous than the last two seasons) I'd take Gorges instead of Emelin. I know it's an unpopular opinion on here and I'll take flack for it, but I don't think Emelin is a very good d-man. That isn't to say Gorges is some god, but I felt he looked better in the majority of his career here than Emelin has. He may very well be on a steep decline and possibly shouldn't even be a part of this discussion, but like I said I'd prefer both were gone not just one or the other.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
He's not 'bad'. He's bad value.

I'm personally fine with his cap hit knowing He patrols the blue line like he does. Manhandles power forwards and gets under people's skin playing a generally quiet and fair game. Makes the other team pay at the blue line and compensates for our severe lack of teeth at the back end. Of course his importance could fade if Pateryn and/or tinordi perform better than expected, but as it stands I really like our 2nd pair.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
1) Gilbert - Because of the length and dollar of his contract being more fitting to the role he plays.
2) Gorges - Because despite his decline and injuries, he's better than Emelin.
3) Emelin - Gives a physical presence but is as overpaid as Gorges but not nearly as reliable in his own end.

I'm not saying Gilbert is better than Gorges, but at the contract AAV and length I'd take him over him. I also find him to be equally if not more reliable in his own end than Emelin and feel the hate towards him is exaggerated.

Am I saying Emelin is terrible? No. But I'd rather pay Gilbert 2.8 to be a #5-6 than Emelin 3.9 to be a #4 which he's clearly out of place trying to be. He looks lost 2/3 of the time and brings little offense anyways. As for Gorges, I just feel he's safer in his own end and while not a top 4 guy either can look a lot less out place and get burned a lot less in the process.

Personally, I hope Emelin is dealt. He isn't worth his contract. He's a #5 being paid 2nd pairing money and I don't think he'll ever be positionally sound enough or offensive enough to make up for that. Far too many times I see the guy getting caught standing around or out of position when a goal ends up in the back of our net. I shutter to think what Price's GAA and SV% could have been if we had another 3.9m per d-man in his place. Here's a hint, I think the numbers would've been even more other wordly.

I was happy too for the record. I don't think either are worth what they're paid and want both gone. But if I had to choose (and maybe this is me remembering more-so the Gorges of years previous than the last two seasons) I'd take Gorges instead of Emelin. I know it's an unpopular opinion on here and I'll take flack for it, but I don't think Emelin is a very good d-man. That isn't to say Gorges is some god, but I felt he looked better in the majority of his career here than Emelin has. He may very well be on a steep decline and possibly shouldn't even be a part of this discussion, but like I said I'd prefer both were gone not just one or the other.

Wow well good thing you aren't the GM. Gorges is terrible.

you guys are really exaggerating the cap difference here - It's 1.3m for Emelin over Gilbert and 1.1 for Gorges. Big difference. the squad is full anyways.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Ok here's a twist

Who would you rather have

Josh Gorges - but he went under cloning procedure and we're not sure if he's the authentic one or the replicate
Alex Emelin - but he develops some kind of breakfest fetish and he always ask for classic hash brown potatoes
Tom Gilbert - but he's playing without any equipment

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
^ Gilbert then. Easy.

Back on topic, emelin hasn't been physical in many seasons. This isn't year one or two emelin. When was the last time he truly ****ed someone? No offense to speak of, and looks like he doesn't know what he's doing half the time.

With petry and subban solidifying the right side, he'll go back to the left and we'll see if it was playing on the right that made him stop bulldozing people.

My answer: Gilbert. Provides a similar defensive game, better offense for less moolah

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
^ Gilbert then. Easy.

Back on topic, emelin hasn't been physical in many seasons. This isn't year one or two emelin. When was the last time he truly ****ed someone? No offense to speak of, and looks like he doesn't know what he's doing half the time.

With petry and subban solidifying the right side, he'll go back to the left and we'll see if it was playing on the right that made him stop bulldozing people.

My answer: Gilbert. Provides a similar defensive game, better offense for less moolah

Well Emelin is still top 5 in hits per game the last few seasons?

I feel like you remember a big hit but not literally every other hit he makes.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Emelin is so underrated in HFBoards it is mind-boggling. He is a decent number 4 who add and uncomparable touch of sandpaper to our D.

How the **** can people put Gorges ahead of him ??

I mean, Emelin is slow but how worst is Gorges.

Gorges isn't a physical dominant force, he can't even take a ****ing slap shot and the dude is in the NHL. He is the most pathetic dman to have played for this team with Hal Gill and Spacek the last 10 years. Gorges can't take the puck out of his zone.

The only quality Gorges had was that he was getting hit so ****ing hard and he was never injured. Lol. Tells you a lot about the players. And fans were saying he was a leader because he was screaming like a ****ing chicken. That's not leadership.

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
Emelin is so underrated in HFBoards it is mind-boggling. He is a decent number 4 who add and uncomparable touch of sandpaper to our D.

How the **** can people put Gorges ahead of him ??

I mean, Emelin is slow but how worst is Gorges.

Gorges isn't a physical dominant force, he can't even take a ****ing slap shot and the dude is in the NHL. He is the most pathetic dman to have played for this team with Hal Gill and Spacek the last 10 years. Gorges can't take the puck out of his zone.

The only quality Gorges had was that he was getting hit so ****ing hard and he was never injured. Lol. Tells you a lot about the players. And fans were saying he was a leader because he was screaming like a ****ing chicken. That's not leadership.

Alex Picard, Janne Ninnimaa, Ryan O'Byrne, Patrice Brisebois (last few years), Paul Mara, M-A Bergeron, Yannick Weber, Chris Campoli, Tomas Kaberle, Francis Bouillon, Mathieu Dandenault... I'm surely missing some.

All of these guys played worse hockey for the Canadiens than Gorges, Spacek and Gill.

And I'm sparing you the guys that played only a handful of games (Alex Henry, Shawn Belle, Mathieu Carle, J-P Côté, etc.).

Maybe tone down they hyperbolics a bit? Josh Gorges was a reliable, smart defenseman for most of his tenure with the Canadiens. He was overpaid for what he brought to the table, and was slotted too high in the depth chart because of lack of talent on the back-end and injuries, but he did alright.

Edit: as for the topic, I prefer Emelin who's a much more well-rounded dman (and I don't care if he has demolished another player recently, he plays a physical game regardless). I also don't mind Gilbert. Good depth, well-rounded, decent cap hit.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
How would you rank them in order of preferences, taking into considerations their respective salary and contract?

Josh Gorges has 1 year left at 3,9M$
Alexei Emelin has 1 year left at 4,1M$
Tom Gilbert has 1 year left at 2,8M$

Emelin is a great defenseman. He can make some mistakes and his contract is a doozie but honestly he's a hab I'd rather have playing than on another team.

Except Emelin has one year left on his contract and he's not bad at all.

I dont understand.

Do we have have to rank them with their respective salary and contract?

Emelin and Gorges have 3 years left on their current contract.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Gorges and Emelin have 3 years left on their deals.

I would go:

Gilbert
Emelin
Gorges

Simply to free up money to throw at Kopitar/Stamkos/Staal next summer.

Useless, Kopitar and Stamkos will not be on the market. Staal is not interesting outside of a rental.

Emelin > 2 bottom pairing guys

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Alex Picard, Janne Ninnimaa, Ryan O'Byrne, Patrice Brisebois (last few years), Paul Mara, M-A Bergeron, Yannick Weber, Chris Campoli, Tomas Kaberle, Francis Bouillon, Mathieu Dandenault... I'm surely missing some.

All of these guys played worse hockey for the Canadiens than Gorges, Spacek and Gill.

And I'm sparing you the guys that played only a handful of games (Alex Henry, Shawn Belle, Mathieu Carle, J-P Côté, etc.).

Maybe tone down they hyperbolics a bit? Josh Gorges was a reliable, smart defenseman for most of his tenure with the Canadiens. He was overpaid for what he brought to the table, and was slotted too high in the depth chart because of lack of talent on the back-end and injuries, but he did alright.

Edit: as for the topic, I prefer Emelin who's a much more well-rounded dman (and I don't care if he has demolished another player recently, he plays a physical game regardless). I also don't mind Gilbert. Good depth, well-rounded, decent cap hit.

I definitely hyperboled but Gorges was still a pathetic dman.

For all the critiscm surrounding MB, don't you think it's refreshing to have the d corps we have now ?? All guys can skate and move the puck up front.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Gilbert
Emelin
Gorges

Why do people think Emelin only has one year left on his contract?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Good thread. I think they're all interchangeable to be honest, though each have different strengths. For instance, Gilbert is the better puck mover of the three, Emelin has the best hitting ability and Gorges has the greatest courage (I would also say that he is probably the best defensively of the three, but lacking in other areas). It all depends what aspect you like. Couple in their salaries and it's a tough question imo. I honestly choose. I'm leaning towards Gorges, but no one really separates themselves from the pack.

Last edited:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Good thread. I think they're all interchangeable to be honest, though each have different strengths. For instance, Gilbert is the better puck mover of the three, Emelin has the best hitting ability and Gorges has the greatest courage (I would also say that he is probably the best defensively of the three, but lacking in other areas). It all depends what aspect you like. Couple in their salaries and it's a tough question imo. I honestly choose. I'm leaning towards Gorges, but no one really separates themselves from the pack.

Emelin has more courage than Gorges. He hit anyone the **** is in front of him. It's just ridiculous looking at him going after Lucic all the times even after broking his knee.

Gorges i believe is very couragous to block shot like he is. But he wouldn't play in the NHL if it wasnt of that.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Gorges had too much term, we traded him before it was too late. From MTL perspective, we pretty much got Gilbert on a better deal + 2nd for Gorges; I'm fine with that.

Last edited:

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
As of today, I would say it's a tie between Gilbert and Emelin. Either one could be the goat on a given day, but currently, though I appreciated what JG brought to the Habs, I think he's past the point of maximum utility. I think between Gilbo and Emmy, it depends who we're playing. Both of them aren't as bad as they're made out to be when offset by their positives. People say those Emelin hits don't matter. In the playoffs, (and sometimes in the reg season), I disagree.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I always hated Gorges on this team because he wears ornières, stuff that we make horses wear so they'd look straight up to the road. The guy couldn't pass, and it was painfull to watch, same reason why I never liked Komisarek who didn't even have the option of a hard canon bullet, a Souray my brother and I would say. Emelin and somehow Gilbert can make a ****ing pass! I'm so glad Bergevin as an ex Dman understands how crucial the transition game is in the NHL. Moreover Gorges is slow as a turtle. I was so sick of people praising him, he was DD to me.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
This.

Gorges is about as good as Gilbert defensively, but he can't dish the puck out to save his life and he's obnoxious as hell.

What? Gorges is probably top 10 in the entire NHL defensively. Not as a good of a puck mover as Gilbert, but they are in different stratospheres defensively.

Makaveli XI

Aug 23, 2015
I think Gilbert will be traded early on in the season or maybe before the season. Which teams would be a good fit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad