Josh Gorges, Alex Emelin or Tom Gilbert

Aug 25, 2009
éal
How would you rank them in order of preferences, taking into considerations their respective salary and contract?

Josh Gorges has 1 year left at 3,9M$
Alexei Emelin has 1 year left at 4,1M$
Tom Gilbert has 1 year left at 2,8M$

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
How would you rank them in order of preferences, taking into considerations their respective salary and contract?

Alexei Emelin has 1 year left at 4,1M$
Tom Gilbert has 1 year left at 2,8M$

Either or.

Can't believe Gorges is in contention with these two.

He was soooo bad.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
Emelin seems to have gotten a lot of bad press in his last 2 years. For me, he's one of my favorite players when he's doing what he's good at (hard hitting and defense).

Gorges is the most defensive one of the pack, but he doesn't generates much else.

Gilbert's role has downgraded a lot in the last years. He had 3 seasons at 30+ pts (including a 45pt one) and 2 other at 26 + 28 pts. Now, he's more stay-at-home.

That being said, they are all average 2nd pair, good 3rd pair guys, nothing special anywhere.

For me it goes Emelin > Gilbert > Gorges. Gilbert above Gorges only because of the 1.3M$ lower contract.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Emelin easily #1, I like Gilbert but given how old Markov is we need a D like him who can log 20+ minutes a night. Beaulieu could get there this year and who knows what Tinordi will do this year so we need the depth on the left side.

Subban and Petry can log big minutes on the right side so I wouldn't have a problem with Pateryn as the third pairing right D if needed. Still a nice luxury to have a guy like Gilbert there though.

As much as I liked Gorges here, getting rid of him and his contract was a great move by Bergy.. selling high on him and getting a solid return.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Gorges shouldn't even be in the conversation. He was bad on his final 2 year with the Habs and he is still bad now. Whereas Gilbert and Emelin have their respective skills which make them decent defensemen, literally all Gorges is good at is blocking shots. Even his defensive game is overrated, which is bad news for a supposed stay at home defenseman.

Maybe I'm being too hard on Gorges, but IMO he isn't a very good defensemen. I was real happy the day he was traded because I wanted him gone the season before.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Gorges and Emelin have 3 years left on their deals.

I would go:

Gilbert
Emelin
Gorges

Simply to free up money to throw at Kopitar/Stamkos/Staal next summer.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Gilbert
Emelin

Gorges

Mostly because they're all pretty bad but Gilbert is the only one who doesn't have an awful contract

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Gorges was a useful Dman for us, but entirely one-dimensional. Average skater, poor crease clearing, below average shot. Scored more own goals than on the opponents, or so it seemed.

Good locker room guy, great timing for pitching in the ozone. Overpaid.

Emelin and Gilbert are both good 5, 6 guys. Glad Gorges is gone, would keep Gilbert over Emelin if Beaulieu can move up.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If Emelin was allowed to play his game and not the passive game our defensemen end up playing, then Emelin, easily.

Even with the passive game, I'd still take him at his cap if it were for one year.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
If you take the salary into consideration, then it's easily Gilbert and you free up the money of Emelin and Gorges which are both paid a little too much.

Save the money and spend it on a forward next year

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Emelin is so underrated here... It's not even funny.

1. Emelin

3. Gilbert/Gorges

This :yo: hehehe

Bouillon got PP time over Emelin, who has a pretty good point shot. That he's been misused is not his fault.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I don't really see how anyone can justify 3 more years of Emelin at 4+ over 1 year of Gilbert at 2.8 million.

They're both bad enough that this decision should really come down to the contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad