Prospect Info: Josh Bloom, C/LW (95th overall, 2021) -- Signed to ELC, Traded to Vancouver

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
and we moved that for...I don't know what the hell we moved that for.

What is said about Bloom, can be said about hundreds of guys in the prospect ranks. I remember hearing the same stuff about Pekar.

At the end of the day, skill is needed to get into the NHL and last. The days of just carrying a true bottom six of grinders is done. One or two guys will stick around, but those seem to be going to vets who can offer a lot of intangibles.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
What is said about Bloom, can be said about hundreds of guys in the prospect ranks. I remember hearing the same stuff about Pekar.

At the end of the day, skill is needed to get into the NHL and last. The days of just carrying a true bottom six of grinders is done. One or two guys will stick around, but those seem to be going to vets who can offer a lot of intangibles.
Said in multiple places, Bloom is promising. He may be the next Hagel, but bigger. He may be the next Pekar (, but bigger).

We still traded him before he played in the AHL for a waiver-claim level defenseman who our org's data models evidently like.

I was confused as to the reasons for this trade, because it's a decent price for such a minor upgrade, if it is at all. I've settled back into trusting the Sabres, but I will miss Bloom.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
This is what he's given us on defense, aside from Power who was a lottery win

Boosh, Clague, Stillman, Comrie
He also cleared out Ristolainen and with Power, Dahlin, Jokiharju and Samuelsson four of their six D are under 23.

Sabres should be good on D for years.

And in net there's a fella named Levi on the way.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

VinceFerrol

Feb 27, 2023
He also cleared out Ristolainen and with Power, Dahlin, Jokiharju and Samuelsson four of their six D are under 23.

Sabres should be good on D for years.

And in net there's a fella named Levi on the way.
Just talking about what Adams has given us.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I am not sure a majority of fans care or are that informed to need an explanation
Why not? Your not concerned what our GM is thinking about in regards to the welfare of our team moving forward? Yes I would like to know what his mindset is moving forward

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Hagel and Bloom, aside from being later draft picks never played anything remotely looking like the same game.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Why not? Your not concerned what our GM is thinking about in regards to the welfare of our team moving forward? Yes I would like to know what his mindset is moving forward
You misread my post or I wasnt clear enough; I consider the people around here are not casual fans; I mean people who dont follow that closely dont care about these details especially if its such a minor trade;
Yes and I personally would want KA to explain every little detail

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
He's not exactly lighting up the O in his 19 year old season (as was expected), so I could see why the Sabres might be concerned that he isn't going to develop into a middle six winger.

I am a bit disappointed in the trade (value wise) as well but like others said I'm not sure he is any more a shoe-in to make the NHL than players like Kea, Catennacci, etc. So, I'm not viewing this any larger than a regular 3rd rounder.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's not exactly lighting up the O in his 19 year old season (as was expected), so I could see why the Sabres might be concerned that he isn't going to develop into a middle six winger.

I am a bit disappointed in the trade (value wise) as well but like others said I'm not sure he is any more a shoe-in to make the NHL than players like Kea, Catennacci, etc. So, I'm not viewing this any larger than a regular 3rd rounder.

Probably the recent 9 game stretch where he had a goal and an assist is the bigger drag on his overall stats. Not sure if that was a slump or a nagging injury, but it didn't help the points/game pace at all.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

It would be a bigger deal if we didn't have all the extra recent first rounders (Kulich, Ostlund and Rosen) all doing quite well and looking as though they're getting close to roster-ready. It's not that I don't see some sense behind trading Bloom as he would be in tough to make future rosters even before this relatively down season he's having in the OHL, I just wish we'd traded him for a better player if we "had" to trade him at all. Who knows, Riley Stillman might surprise us all and prove his analytics are mainly the result of playing on bad teams. Historically, that isn't how it goes but sometimes guys buck the trend.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
still really confused about this trade from a Sabres POV. Bloom seems like a legit prospect and Sabres traded him for an AHL level Dman with term on his contract?

Bloom had a hat-trick in his last game and is now up to 68 pts in 66 games and has 31 goals.

Can Sabre fans please enlighten me.. what am i missing

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
still really confused about this trade from a Sabres POV. Bloom seems like a legit prospect and Sabres traded him for an AHL level Dman with term on his contract?

Bloom had a hat-trick in his last game and is now up to 68 pts in 66 games and has 31 goals.

Bloom is a nice prospect but our pipeline is deep with better talent. Granted I would've liked to have traded him for something better then Stillman but he wasn't going to have a chance with us in my opinion.

Also Stillman has played pretty well since coming here. Nothing more than a bottom pair/#7 guy but I've liked his play thus far.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

He wasnt one of their top 15 prospects and barely being over a ppg this many years into his minors career isn’t really a brag

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
He wasnt one of their top 15 prospects and barely being over a ppg this many years into his minors career isn’t really a brag

I'm not really bragging, im more so confused as why he was traded for Stillman.

Quite literally one of the worse Dman the Canucks had, who was so bad that he was being geting healthy scratched on a horrible Dcore, then to add to it he has term in his contract.

I dont think Bloom is anything special but he seems like he has 3rd/4th line capabilities that can play the PK.

I'm glad to hear that Stillman has played better though. Maybe a win win trade.

Thanks for replying and good luck to our expansion cousins.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

All of Stillman's fancy stuff points to him being a decent third pairing defenseman thus far for Buffalo - Fenwick/Corsi even expected goals. We know, he sucked in Vancouver. He hasn't been bad for Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad