Prospect Info: Josh Bloom, C/LW (95th overall, 2021) -- Signed to ELC, Traded to Vancouver

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I'm still amazed that we traded a B prospect for a serviceable defender and people are mad about it. Stillman has been fine.

I liked Bloom but his best shot is probably a bottom 6 warm body with some tools but limited upside, in 3 or more years. And that's if he can refine his game. They giving away tinfoil hats from Timmy Ho rims now?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm still amazed that we traded a B prospect for a serviceable defender and people are mad about it. Stillman has been fine.

I liked Bloom but his best shot is probably a bottom 6 warm body with some tools but limited upside, in 3 or more years. And that's if he can refine his game. They giving away tinfoil hats from Timmy Ho rims now?
Bro.. you get Stillmans for 5th round picks. Why trade a piece that you are organizationally short on for him. Regardless what Bloom turns into .. it was a totally unnecessary and stupid trade and I'm frankly shocked people can't just admit that.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Bro.. you get Stillmans for 5th round picks. Why trade a piece that you are organizationally short on for him. Regardless what Bloom turns into .. it was a totally unnecessary and stupid trade and I'm frankly shocked people can't just admit that.
Bloom isn't scaring anyone with his physicality or play. He's super redundant in the franchise and way less effective than those ahead of him. I hope he gets a good opportunity with another team.

Probably a slight overpay but it's a guy that is so far behind on the depth chart without a niche. Adams did him a favor moving him and it didn't hurt one bit. In return, much needed defensive depth.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Bloom isn't scaring anyone with his physicality or play. He's super redundant in the franchise and way less effective than those ahead of him. I hope he gets a good opportunity with another team.

Probably a slight overpay but it's a guy that is so far behind on the depth chart without a niche. Adams did him a favor moving him and it didn't hurt one bit. In return, much needed defensive depth.
I can't.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
What do you see Bloom developing into?
Did you miss where I said it doesn't matter what he ends up developing in to? You have totally removed any chance of him developing into a useful player that provides things this team is in short supply of... and you removed that chance by acquiring a player that are constantly moved for late round picks. It defies logic and there is no excusing it.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Did you miss where I said it doesn't matter what he ends up developing in to? You have totally removed any chance of him developing into a useful player that provides things this team is in short supply of... and you removed that chance by acquiring a player that are constantly moved for late round picks. It defies logic and there is no excusing it.
E: good points

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Welp being condescending doesn't make you any more correct. It's a low price for a needed roster player. And well, it's over and done no matter what your opinion.
I wasn't trying to be condescending so apologies for that.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Bloom is a nice prospect but our pipeline is deep with better talent. Granted I would've liked to have traded him for something better then Stillman but he wasn't going to have a chance with us in my opinion.

Also Stillman has played pretty well since coming here. Nothing more than a bottom pair/#7 guy but I've liked his play thus far.
Don't be confused. It was a horrible trade in the sense that we could have git Stillman for a 6 that round pick and other than Nadeau we have no power forwards in our system.Bloom will absolutely make it to the NHL because he can play a fast pace game or a grinding game.He is a solid defensive player and elite penalty killer.I have watched him live about 8 times over the last few years when he came to play Windsor Spitfires so iam not just Stat watching.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I wasn't trying to be condescending so apologies for that.
All good man. I understand your argument that it's an overpay and your right. My thought is that I didn't really see Bloom turning into a power forward type although anything is possible at this stage. Also, maybe Adams saw him as a talented guy that sat pretty far down the depth chart and wanted to give him a better opportunity to make the league. He seems to have that human side to him. Who knows, maybe he'll come back some day when he's developed and a good fit for the organization.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Don't be confused. It was a horrible trade in the sense that we could have git Stillman for a 6 that round pick and other than Nadeau we have no power forwards in our system.Bloom will absolutely make it to the NHL because he can play a fast pace game or a grinding game.He is a solid defensive player and elite penalty killer.I have watched him live about 8 times over the last few years when he came to play Windsor Spitfires so iam not just Stat watching.
I mean I acknowledged that it wasn't a fair deal. Not sure what you think I am confused about... I said he wouldn't going to make it with THE SABRES not the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised if he cracked an NHL roster somewhere else but it wasn't going to be with Buffalo.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

I saw Bloom at rookie camp. He's missing something extra. He'll be in NHL for a cup of coffee. That said, ridiculous to take Stillman for the guy to a favour for ex-teammate

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I saw Bloom at rookie camp. He's missing something extra. He'll be in NHL for a cup of coffee. That said, ridiculous to take Stillman for the guy to a favour for ex-teammate
I don't get this. Stillman, if nothing else, brings a much needed physicality to the team. Much, much needed.

Is he a great player? No, nobody says he is. But saying the only reason, or even the primary one, is that its because his dad played with GMKA is wrong at best, and disingenuous if your intent is to simply show you don't approve of Adams as a GM. I agree it was an overpayment but he does bring something we lacked.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I mean I acknowledged that it wasn't a fair deal. Not sure what you think I am confused about... I said he wouldn't going to make it with THE SABRES not the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised if he cracked an NHL roster somewhere else but it wasn't going to be with Buffalo.
Now iam confused lol.Why wouldn't he make it as a Sabre? Unless your comfortable having a Rosen or Ostlund as a 4th line winger or C? If that's the case then we are in bigger trouble than I thought.Not saying he would make it next year but in a few years was and is going to be a solid player just my opinion of course

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Now iam confused lol.Why wouldn't he make it as a Sabre? Unless your comfortable having a Rosen or Ostlund as a 4th line winger or C? If that's the case then we are in bigger trouble than I thought.Not saying he would make it next year but in a few years was and is going to be a solid player just my opinion of course
We just have better talent ahead of him in the prospect pool that is going to get a shot before him (in my opinion). Roch has a ton of guys that can fill the 4th line PK rolls (Rousek, Murray, Cederqvist, Kozak, etc) that are closer to being ready than Bloom, if they don't fill those spots via FA.

Again he is a fine prospect and wish we got something better for him but it isn't the end of the world by moving on from him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad