Prospect Info: Joseph Woll

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Someone needs to teach our goalies how to cheat.

You look at a guys like Miller, he was maybe a 160 lbs, a bone rack of a man, but when he put on the gear he looked as big as Thanos. Big men like Woll with just a little equipment augmentation can take away a lot of goals from a few common and simple cheats. I wouldn't suggest it if everyone didn't do it, but every goalie cheats with his equipment, Every Veznia winner in the last 20 years has cheated on one way or another. There is that one cheat where you wear a big jersey and run a string from your elbow pad to your chest protector below the bottom of your ribcage. Takes away the hole under your arm pit. Wear bigger pants to close up your five hole, everyone wears leg pads way too large. I'm not a goalie so I cant tell you all the easy cheats but , there are a lot and Woll looked skinny for a guy his size.
You can't cheat anymore. The pants and chest protector are all streamlined and contoured to the body. No more over sized shoulder floaters or wide elbow/forearm padding. No wide pants. Pads all have to be a certain measurement relative to the goalie's leg measurements. All this is now regulated and inspected by league officials.

the only trick goalies have now is since their pads can only be so tall, a lot of them use the skate loop on the back of the skate and run their boot strap on the pad through the loop to lift the pad higher off the ice to give you more five hole coverage.

Reactions: makbeer

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You can't cheat anymore. The pants and chest protector are all streamlined and contoured to the body. No more over sized shoulder floaters or wide elbow/forearm padding. No wide pants. Pads all have to be a certain measurement relative to the goalie's leg measurements. All this is now regulated and inspected by league officials.

the only trick goalies have now is since their pads can only be so tall, a lot of them use the skate loop on the back of the skate and run their boot strap on the pad through the loop to lift the pad higher off the ice to give you more five hole coverage.

You might be right on they cant cheat anymore but heck they are making some pretty big humans now.. some of these guys take up 3/4ths of the net just standing there .. I think with any rule , its the rule du jour then the league stops enforcing it with regularity, remember when tucking your jersey in your pants was a 2 min PIM? or when interfering with a forechecker was an interference PIM? I'm not so sure goalie equipment is high on their 2021-22 action list.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Woll is taller than Vasilevsky but looks like a child if you put in-net pics of them side by side. ...and Hutch, i thought was under 6' tall, i have no idea how he makes himself look smaller than Irbe in net.
Look at the space over their shoulders in the 'set' position, now, tell me, which one looks 5'8" and which looks 6'3"
Michael-Hutchinson-Maple-Leafs-1-575x402.jpg
usa-today-8197644.0.jpg

Yep kind my point. I've been told that goalies don't cheat anymore but dang, if they don't cheat we have some guys with 4 foot wide shoulders ... :)

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006

Haha dude I am fiddling with how I connect my pads to my skates like every ice time. I have gone to prolaces, lundy loop, no toe ties, no lundy loop, traditional skate lace toe ties, old school boot strap....I changed to warrior pads and I can't seem to get them to connect with me the way my Bauers did.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Haha dude I am fiddling with how I connect my pads to my skates like every ice time. I have gone to prolaces, lundy loop, no toe ties, no lundy loop, traditional skate lace toe ties, old school boot strap....I changed to warrior pads and I can't seem to get them to connect with me the way my Bauers did.
I wear Warrior G4s. Took me a while to get them the way I like them. I ditched the stock toe straps and use bungee toe chords from I think Nash. The stock ones I found way too tight. I got rid of the boot strap altogether. I find it completely redundant unless you're using the Lundy loop, which i hated the feel of it. I keep the calf wrap and knee sling somewhat loose. I like to feel like there is nothing on my legs (hate the constricted feeling). I wear them loose enough that I don't feel constricted but not loose enough that they're flopping around.

I came out of Vaughn V7's before them and Bauer Reactors before that

Reactions: makbeer

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
give him another game against the rangers. he was pretty good, better than his numbers would indicate.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The Leafs are gaining faith in rookie goalie Joseph Woll. And Jack Campbell could use a break | The Star

Not to make light of it, but the Leafs depth chart is getting pretty thin. Marlies goalie Erik Källgren is out with a concussion, joining Leafs backup Petr Mrázek (groin) and Marlies prospect Ian Scott (groin). That leaves Woll as Jack Campbell’s backup, with Michael Hutchinson holding down the fort with the Marlies and ECHL goalie Keith Petruzzelli called up to the AHL team.

Leafs coach Sheldon Keefe put a positive spin on it all.

“When we called up Joe we were making a decision between Hutchinson, who’s got lots of NHL experience, Källgren, who has played extremely well for them and won a championship last year (in Sweden), and Joe,” said Keefe. “So we had that depth to be able to withstand something like that. I think that the depth remains strong.”

On Saturday, prior to the morning skate, Mrázek practised for the first time since going on the injured list Nov. 7 (retroactive to Nov. 4). He was expected to be out a month.

Mrázek was out there with Scott, who suffered his injury in training camp, and has been routinely working with goalie coach Steve Briere.

“It was Petr’s first day back on the ice, so he’s making progress, but it’s going to take some time before he’s back and ready,” said Keefe. “Scott has been skating for quite some time now. I think his return to the Marlies is imminent.”

Until Mrázek returns or Woll struggles, the backup job belongs to the rookie. He won his debut a week ago, 5-4 over Buffalo, in which he gave up two third-period goals to surrender a 4-2 lead before Morgan Rielly saved the day with 12 seconds to go.

“You never want to judge too much either way off of one game, but obviously that experience, we think, would help him going forward,” Keefe said of Woll. “The one thing that we did, we went back and we looked at his game specifically. The goals that went in are one thing; there was a couple there that we really hung him out to dry."

“But look at some of the saves that he made in that game and he looked really confident, in the right spots. He looked big in the net, not giving up a lot. So that helped our confidence in him, and just the fact that he’s got the experience here now, even more so with another week of practice and preparation. It’s important for us to get Jack some time off. So we’ll give Joe another go at it.”

Woll said he’s learned a lot in a short time with the Leafs and expects a steadier performance against the Islanders compared to his effort against Buffalo.

“It’s felt different this week. I feel more part of the team, a little more comfortable. Just excited to play some hockey again,” said Woll. “The biggest thing is being able to settle into the game and understand it’s just a hockey game.

“I think, around your debut, there’s a lot of noise and a lot of pressure with everyone being there, like family. The biggest thing for me is to understand it’s just another hockey game and go play like I can.”

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Certainly looked more calm tonight and although he didn't have a ton of shots he made a few really nice saves. Great night for the young goalie. Keep it going.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I really hope Keefe plays Woll again, obviously nothing against Campbell, I just think it is a good idea to reward players when they earned it

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The team played really well in front of him which made it easy for him. He made the saves when needed. Nice smooth performance

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
after seeing the rest of the league develop goalies how can people justify writing off this kid. hes under 25 been in our system and has been a complete professional through his whole tenure. the team thinks he has a place. his ceiling is a starter how good of one is up to him. but he doesn't seem to have any issues with learning which bodes for him and the leafs.

kids gonna be ours for a while.

Reactions: leafers

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Woll wasn't tested too much vs the Islanders but plays a nice and organized game. Kind of has a Freddie big man crouch back there too. Nice to see him get rewarded and also find a comfort level at the NHL level.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It's nice that Woll has won two, including this shutout. He needs to be tested more, and I'm a bit sceptical that he's an answer for us, but it sure would be fantastic if he was. Confidence is a huge thing for a goalie though, so this is nice.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

I wear Warrior G4s. Took me a while to get them the way I like them. I ditched the stock toe straps and use bungee toe chords from I think Nash. The stock ones I found way too tight. I got rid of the boot strap altogether. I find it completely redundant unless you're using the Lundy loop, which i hated the feel of it. I keep the calf wrap and knee sling somewhat loose. I like to feel like there is nothing on my legs (hate the constricted feeling). I wear them loose enough that I don't feel constricted but not loose enough that they're flopping around.

I came out of Vaughn V7's before them and Bauer Reactors before that

Though I have no idea what a Lundy loop is, I really appreciate hearing from those who strap on the pads. Adds a good perspective to the insights of what goes on here. Thx.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
Though I have no idea what a Lundy loop is, I really appreciate hearing from those who strap on the pads. Adds a good perspective to the insights of what goes on here. Thx.

Haha it's a loop on the back of goalie skates that you can pass your bootstrap through instead of going under your skate.

It was pioneered by Henrik Lundqvist (hence the name) and then actually adopted by the skate making companies because it became so popular.

It's popular because it forces the pad to sit higher up and some goalies like it because it can help with 5-hole seal by keeping the pad up when you drop and also it keeps the toe of the pad from touching the ice when you move on your feet which some goalies find awkward.

Reactions: OddyOh and meefer

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I expect as a young relatively inexperienced goaltender, there will be ups and downs but happy for him.

Reactions: The Iceman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad