Jori Lehtera

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
While Lehtera is certainly overpaid, I think that if he slots in on that fourth line with Weise and maybe Read or Laughton depending on how things shake out, it could be a solid checking line. I wouldn't expect him to put up a ton of points and I certainly don't think he's going to be making anyone happy that he's getting almost $5 million, but it could be a solid 4th line. I am really excited to see how things play out in terms of the lineup. I also can't wait until they give Patrick a dang number so I can order my jersey!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Didn't he play with Tarasenko at times?

Last year mostly Tarasenko and one of Schwartz/Fabbri with some stretches of Steen, Yakupov, MPS, Perron and Jaxin. The year before it mostly went from Tarasenko/Steen to Fabbri/Jaxin to Tarasenko/Fabbri to Tarasenko/Schwartz.

No one is saying he's a great player. He's just significantly better than last year's 4th line mainstays. You're certainly free to think PEB was a good 4th liner, but all of our most reliable ways of measuring this point to him not being an NHL player or really even close to it.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Didn't he play with Tarasenko at times? Playing 15 minutes a game he really tore it up last year banging in a whopping 7 goals.

Per game points, FO%, possession stats all decreased each year in the league. Probably the most troubling thing is that last year he got a career high O Zone start % (65%) and still managed his career worst production.

I hope I'm wrong, but I expect Lehtera to play exactly like the kind of player you only agree to take on when you're getting a first round pick added to a deal. He'll be a multiple healthy scratch I suspect.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Probably the most troubling thing is that last year he got a career high O Zone start % (65%) and still managed his career worst production.

Current belief is that zone starts really don't mean as much as previously thought. I wouldn't worry about that aspect at all.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That list has us 2nd lightest team again.

But it also has Manning/Sanheim in the lineup.

If it's Morin and Hagg it bumps up.

Also, is Simmonds really 183 and Laughton 176?

Those numbers have to be way off.

Laughton was 190 and Simmonds was 183 at the last training camp. Wayne has really skinny legs and it keeps his weight lower than you'd assume by how tough he is.

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7107491/2016_Flyers_Training_Camp_Roster.0.pdf

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
While Lehtera is certainly overpaid, I think that if he slots in on that fourth line with Weise and maybe Read or Laughton depending on how things shake out, it could be a solid checking line. I wouldn't expect him to put up a ton of points and I certainly don't think he's going to be making anyone happy that he's getting almost $5 million, but it could be a solid 4th line. I am really excited to see how things play out in terms of the lineup. I also can't wait until they give Patrick a dang number so I can order my jersey!

FWIW: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=135322463#post135322463

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Didn't he play with Tarasenko at times? Playing 15 minutes a game he really tore it up last year banging in a whopping 7 goals.

I know assists don't count, but Lehtera is not a goal scorer, and if that's the bar to determine his success, he'll inevitably fail. Playing with Tarasenko and being more of a playmaker is not an indictment in and of itself. He had a bad year, he's overpaid, he's ideally not on this team other than as a salary matching bitter pill......but he's not THAT bad.

At worst, he can probably provide average bottom 6 ability, with a not improbable chance to exceed that, though that's not likely given his capped usage here. Given he seems a lock for the 4th line, it's hard for me to see him not being above average as a 4th liner against other bottom units. You just have to grade him on a curve.

And do we even want to imagine what Bellemare would do next to Tarasenko? He'd probably increase his point total from 8 to a career-high 15 and drain Tarasenko of his life force, turning him into a husk like VandeVelde.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
When training camp is over and it's between having Lethera or Leier on the Flyers roster which one of the two do the Flyers place on waivers to assign to Lehigh Valley or lose being claimed on waivers.

I'd rather risk putting Jori Lethera on waivers, to keep Taylor Leier with the Flyers organization.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
When training camp is over and it's between having Lethera or Leier on the Flyers roster which one of the two do the Flyers place on waivers to assign to Lehigh Valley or lose being claimed on waivers.

I'd rather risk putting Jori Lethera on waivers, to keep Taylor Leier with the Flyers organization.

I still think Read is moved so they can carry Leier on the roster. Lehtera being sent down seems unlikely as he is still a decent player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lehtera is facing his "do or die" year, either he comes to camp in much better shape or he gets buried in LHV like MacDonald a couple years ago.

Hextall has no problem eating a salary if he can't move a guy, that's why he wants cap room instead of expensive free agents - the flexibility to make moves without worrying about the money.

It's a wonderful motivator for overpaid players - produce or you ride the bus in the AHL while you count your money.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Per game points, FO%, possession stats all decreased each year in the league. Probably the most troubling thing is that last year he got a career high O Zone start % (65%) and still managed his career worst production.

I hope I'm wrong, but I expect Lehtera to play exactly like the kind of player you only agree to take on when you're getting a first round pick added to a deal. He'll be a multiple healthy scratch I suspect.

Hope you are right because I hate to see him bump out players like Laughton and Vecchione.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Lehtera will be just fine! He's a seasoned hockey player that is in the prime of his career...His high-end talent made him one of the top point getters over in the KHL a few years ago! A change of scenery might be just the thing!:) Ya never know,Filppula and Lehtera might tear it on the one line!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Lehtera will be just fine! He's a seasoned hockey player that is in the prime of his career...His high-end talent made him one of the top point getters over in the KHL a few years ago! A change of scenery might be just the thing!:) Ya never know,Filppula and Lehtera might tear it on the one line!

His point totals have gone down sharply in each of the last 3 seasons.

He will be 30 in December. He is past his "prime."

i'd be happy with 20 points out of him.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
His point totals have gone down sharply in each of the last 3 seasons.

He will be 30 in December. He is past his "prime."

i'd be happy with 20 points out of him.

Lehtera or Giroux :sarcasm:?

(except for the birth month)

Last edited:

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Lehtera will be just fine! He's a seasoned hockey player that is in the prime of his career...His high-end talent made him one of the top point getters over in the KHL a few years ago! A change of scenery might be just the thing!:) Ya never know,Filppula and Lehtera might tear it on the one line![/QUOTE]

Yeah if it is Lehigh Valley

JayB

May 30, 2012
How about 4th line :

Raffl-Lehterä-Weise

Or second line :

Filppula-Lehterä-Lindbohm

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How about 4th line :

Raffl-Lehterä-Weise

Or second line :

Filppula-Lehterä-Lindbohm

Why is Lehtera on the 2nd line?

Are Coots and Patrick injured?

Lindblom plays LW primarily.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
as someone who's watched lehtera for the last 3 years, i can confidently say that you guys will not like him. He'll give ya a game every month or so where your like hmm, maybe somethings there with him and then he'll go back to being pretty brutal. That deal was basically the two 1sts and a much needed cap dump for schenn, hopefully frost and the 1st next year works out for you guys to make it a good trade both ways.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
as someone who's watched lehtera for the last 3 years, i can confidently say that you guys will not like him. He'll give ya a game every month or so where your like hmm, maybe somethings there with him and then he'll go back to being pretty brutal. That deal was basically the two 1sts and a much needed cap dump for schenn, hopefully frost and the 1st next year works out for you guys to make it a good trade both ways.

He is going to be on the 4th line at best and needs to be an upgrade on Bellemare and VDV.

We know he is way overpaid but in that role, should be fine.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My attitude is that salary is "sunk costs."

Since Hextall has cleared enough salary room to have flexibility, on ice play decides whether a player is in Philly or Lehigh Valley. However, overpaid players are easier to waive, so that's actually a strike against them (hey, they can always volunteer for a pay cut if they don't want to ride the bus). You can stash them in LHV as injury insurance if they get beat out in camp - and that is a big motivational tool.

Given the Flyers depth, both MacDonald and Lehtera produce or sit, rregardless of their contracts. The contracts only enter into Ron's decision making when it comes to transactions (buyout, pay half to move them, etc.), but shouldn't factor into PT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad