Player Discussion Jordie Benn this year in the offensive zone now

apollo18

Oct 20, 2018
I don't know if its just puck luck or what, but i've been watching Benn this year and when hes in the offensive zone he actually looks opretty good. he seems to be a decent point man and can get a shot or two thru,and I like how he is a big body if someone ends up coming near.

Do you think this is maybe something he trained for over the summer? IMO he looks great unless I am totally blind

i cant comment on the defensive area tho

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
It's almost like confidence affects Hockey players just like your average person.

Deemed #7 and sheltered? You end up fitting your role.

I'm not suggesting Benn will sustain this all year but it's truly amazing what a difference confidence can make both positively or negatively.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
He wasn't a blackhole in MTL. But I doubt he can have sustained composure offensively this far into his career. He's no Marchant

apollo18

Oct 20, 2018
but have y'all noticed an improvement in his game on the offensive end? or am i blind

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Can't remember where I heard it but I recall something about Benn being good on the right side, but Canucks coaching staff don't like playing defencemen on their off-hand side as a general rule. Could it be something where it's coaching staff imposing their own ideas of where players should play instead of where they feel most comfortable, but due to team make-up Benn is being forced to play where he's better at?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Can't remember where I heard it but I recall something about Benn being good on the right side, but Canucks coaching staff don't like playing defencemen on their off-hand side as a general rule. Could it be something where it's coaching staff imposing their own ideas of where players should play instead of where they feel most comfortable, but due to team make-up Benn is being forced to play where he's better at?

coach green didnt like guys playing on his off sides. sorta like babcock. but guys like benn and schmidt are more comfortable on their offside, sorta like forwards say a righty is better on the off wing. I'm a lefty but i like to play on my off side as well.

Reactions: MarkMM

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Regardless of it being a minor failure in terms of dollar and term, the fact they signed a LHD who prefers playing the right side and plays his best hockey there to play on the left is weird. Was there no communication from pro scouting to the GM to say hey this guy played his best hockey on the right side? Was this not communicated to green who pigeonholed him onto the left? Like???

HedonisticAltruism

Sep 26, 2008
Regardless of it being a minor failure in terms of dollar and term, the fact they signed a LHD who prefers playing the right side and plays his best hockey there to play on the left is weird. Was there no communication from pro scouting to the GM to say hey this guy played his best hockey on the right side? Was this not communicated to green who pigeonholed him onto the left? Like???
You really expect this management group to look at quantifiable metrics? Hah.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Agreed @apollo18 hes looked much better this season, for his role. Hed be a decent #6 on a cup contending team the way is playing or a #5 on our broken team . Also contract year!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Agreed @apollo18 hes looked much better this season, for his role. Hed be a decent #6 on a cup contending team the way is playing or a #5 on our broken team . Also contract year!

He did play pretty well in Montreal and filling in and playing a top 4 role in spurts so I was really surprised at how bad he was last season. Maybe he does need to play on the right side?

Reactions: MarkMM

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He did play pretty well in Montreal and filling in and playing a top 4 role in spurts so I was really surprised at how bad he was last season. Maybe he does need to play on the right side?
Seems like it, hes been a pleasant suprise so far this season

Reactions: David71

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I was expecting a Tanev caliber offensive player when we got him...
Last year he started out really well... but had a rough time coming back after the covid break...

Feel good for him to see him begin his season strong and above my (dropped) expectations.

Any predictions of who will score more this year? Benn or Tanev?
I would take Benn.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
By all accounts was much better on the right-side in Montreal so it's no surprise he's doing better in that role here. I've been pretty critical of this signing being 2 years, but if he can keep playing well on the right-side they have a good change to salvage this one.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I was expecting a Tanev caliber offensive player when we got him...
Last year he started out really well... but had a rough time coming back after the covid break...

Feel good for him to see him begin his season strong and above my (dropped) expectations.

Any predictions of who will score more this year? Benn or Tanev?
I would take Benn.

Just looked this up. Wow:

Tanev: 22 goals and 119 points in 519 regular season games.
Benn: 23 goals and 119 points in 520 regular season games.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

Green has final say as coach. In case it isn't abundantly obvious, Green is very stubborn and loathe to change his thinking. So the idea of a journeyman LHD playing on his off-side in Green's system? Hah!

It took a literal crisis in RHD for this to be tried. Fully expecting Benn to be deployed back as LHD when the crisis is over.

Reactions: I am toxic

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Green has final say as coach. In case it isn't abundantly obvious, Green is very stubborn and loathe to change his thinking. So the idea of a journeyman LHD playing on his off-side in Green's system? Hah!

It took a literal crisis in RHD for this to be tried. Fully expecting Benn to be deployed back as LHD when the crisis is over.
Yeah and I get he is stubborn but why was it not made clear between departments that Green wants a certain type of player but then they signed one who he would not use correctly?

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Yeah and I get he is stubborn but why was it not made clear between departments that Green wants a certain type of player but then they signed one who he would not use correctly?

I think it's likely that it was passed onto Green. I'd also be willing to bet that Benn told him personally. But whether that information is internalized and acted upon is another matter.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

It's almost like Green is a terrible coach or something...

Reactions: I am toxic

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
The Canucks has an unusually healthy right side last season. My guess is they knew, and liked, the fact that Benn could play both sides. The plan was probably for him to step in on the right side when Tanev had his usual injury. It just so happened COVID kicked in at the same time.

I agree he’s looked pretty decent this year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You can't help but feel good for Jordie Benn....basically fell off the map last year but has been solid since his return to the lineup this season. He always dreamed of playing for his home-town team, so last year must have been a real 'downer' for him.

Ironically he's now replicating the role that Hamonic was supposed to play, before he went down with injury.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Benn looks like a surprisingly good fit with Hughes. He's got pretty fresh legs, a smart active stick, and doesn't look nearly as lethargic as some of the alternatives on D. Again, surprised is the word I'd use to describe how reliable and sharp he's looked

Reactions: Index

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad